Laser engravers/cnc cutter machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamMurphy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, looking on some advice on purchasing a laser cutter/cnc machine. I love working with wood and this is all new to me . I've seen some cnc cutter machines that allow you add a laser head at a later stage. Would this be a good start for a beginner as I'd like to make small signs and trinklets and have the option to laser engrave if needed. Can you nice people give me advice. I don't have a big budget so that rules the big boys toys out ... . Thanks in advance

I went that route at first, with my proverxl 4030. But the limiting factor was the controller, it limited the laser power to under 5 Watts.
I soon got fed up swapping out the laser/spindle, and realised that it was a poor compromise.

I quickly moved on and got a Creality Falcon2 22w laser machine to go along with the CNC

They are both great and best choice I made. I can now run them in parallel saving time too.

I went that route at first, with my proverxl 4030. But the limiting factor was the controller, it limited the laser power to under 5 Watts.
I soon got fed up swapping out the laser/spindle, and realised that it was a poor compromise.

I quickly moved on and got a Creality Falcon2 22w laser machine to go along with the CNC

They are both great and best choice I made. I can now run them in parallel saving time too.
Thank you for your reply . I was thinking this may have been an issue as I want the best of both worlds . Dedicated machines are better long run . Thanks

I certainly don't regret getting the two separate machines.
My cnc is inside an enclosure I built on a bench, and the laser is in a lidded drawer below it, so handy to access either.

I agree with Sachakins about two machines probably being better. The exception would be if you went for double z axis arrangement. This avoids setting everything up each time you switch between laser and milling.
A laser machine can be built quite lightweight like a 3d printer but a cnc router will need much more strength because the motor is heavy and there is lateral load.

I still don`t have a laser because it scares me a bit (I will look at it accidentally )So I would really only consider one with a very good safety box or shield.

Ollie

the two machines are very different in use - from the software needed / to how you produce files / to how you control it / to the quality of the item you need. In all cases a laser is much simpler - it is 2d design using simple software and a simple machine - CNC is more complex.

lasers fall into a number of categories: low power (can engrave) / higher power (can cut) - diode / CO2 / fibre - which determine what they can engrave / cut.

I have the XTOOL D1 PRO - which is a 20W (other powers available) diode laser that can engrave and cut - it is very simple to use, esp. with 3rd party software Lightburn - drop in a vector, decide what power / repeats / speed and it will engrave or cut the wood...

At c. £1k it is not cheap, but it is very competent and good for that price - whereas CNC you will need to be fettling the machine a lot at that price, or spending quite a bit more...

I've been looking at laser engravers for a good few months and the two that I've worked down to are the Sculpfun S30 pro (or pro max) and the Crealty Falcon2 22w. There doesn't seem to be too much between them though I note the Falcon has a manual air flow control in addition to the control through Lightburn.
Have you had any issues with the mchine? I started out looking at 5 and 10 watt machines but as always aspirations creep up. I'd consider the 44 watt but it's too expensive.

The other issue is that I'd have to actually produce useful stuff or my missus would be muttering "yet another toy" :ROFLMAO:

I've never had a problem with my Falcon 2. Find it a very good and accurate laser.
Yes, its not the cheapest 22w out there, but it's build quality and rigidity is,in my opinion, the best out there.

From box to ready to burn took about 10-15 minutes.

Works excellent with lightburn and candle.

I'd easily recommend it.

Have tried a few of the cheaper ones, sub £500, that's friends had,and not one came close.

Most of them have been either binned off or ended up scrapped, because of theproblems and frustration they gave.

All I would say is be sure its diode laser you want. They do have drawbacks compared to CO2, ie won't cut clear acrylics, and some others. Not as fast as CO2, but more than fast enough for most projects I do.

Engraving clear acrylic can be done, but you need to add black paint or card to reverse side, same with glass.
So if they're uppermost on your wish list, then I'd reconsider diode and look at CO2 or fibre lasers, but fibre lasers run into £4000 starting price.

If you are thinking CO2, stay away from the cheap £400 K40 machines, rubbish.
Half decent CO2 starts about £1800.

I've been looking at laser engravers for a good few months and the two that I've worked down to are the Sculpfun S30 pro (or pro max) and the Crealty Falcon2 22w. There doesn't seem to be too much between them though I note the Falcon has a manual air flow control in addition to the control through Lightburn.
Have you had any issues with the mchine? I started out looking at 5 and 10 watt machines but as always aspirations creep up. I'd consider the 44 watt but it's too expensive.

The other issue is that I'd have to actually produce useful stuff or my missus would be muttering "yet another toy" :ROFLMAO:
To be honest I'm just window shopping at the moment. Your wife and mine think alike 🤔 😀 my budget won't reach the falcon2 just an entry level one to play with . Can't justify the cost of a big one

Thanks Sachakins, useful advice and certainly I've taken it on board. I can just about get to the Falcon2 as I've sold a couple of machines so can justify the cost. (My missus thinks I'm slowly clearing stuff out - don't tell her. :whistle:). My issue really is that I can see a number of fun things I can make initially as I have a 10 year old granddaughter I can't decide if there's enough beyond that to make it worth having so it could easily become an underused toy. I was looking again last night so I'm dithering. I'm not interested in making anything to sell on so wouldn't be able to offset any purchase cost.
I went through a similar process lokking at 3D printers some time ago but decided while having one would be fun it would be of limited value to me.

Adam
I have a friend who has a Sculpfun S9 upgraded with air assist, only 5 watt but he seems very happy with the machine and it's very much at the budget end. He lives in the midlands and I haven't seen the machine in person though he did send me a simple little box made on it which looked nice. He bought his from China and saved quite a lot I think.

if you can cut on the laser, there is loads of fun things you can do - I make puzzles and toys, pots and boxes, table place settings, christmas ornaments, just have a look on etsy and search by laser to get ideas!

Thanks Sachakins, useful advice and certainly I've taken it on board. I can just about get to the Falcon2 as I've sold a couple of machines so can justify the cost. (My missus thinks I'm slowly clearing stuff out - don't tell her. :whistle:). My issue really is that I can see a number of fun things I can make initially as I have a 10 year old granddaughter I can't decide if there's enough beyond that to make it worth having so it could easily become an underused toy. I was looking again last night so I'm dithering. I'm not interested in making anything to sell on so wouldn't be able to offset any purchase cost.
I went through a similar process lokking at 3D printers some time ago but decided while having one would be fun it would be of limited value to me.

Adam
I have a friend who has a Sculpfun S9 upgraded with air assist, only 5 watt but he seems very happy with the machine and it's very much at the budget end. He lives in the midlands and I haven't seen the machine in person though he did send me a simple little box made on it which looked nice. He bought his from China and saved quite a lot I think.
Thanks for that info . Much appreciated

To be honest I'm just window shopping at the moment. Your wife and mine think alike 🤔 😀 my budget won't reach the falcon2 just an entry level one to play with . Can't justify the cost of a big one
Thanks for all the help, I've decided to go with the falcon2 22watt machine. I should have it in a few days . At the moment I'm playing with the demo version of lightburn . Will purchase the software once I'm setup. . . . I found some YouTube videos on setup but very little on setting up pieces to cut/laser . Etc etc like settings and product type . I do realise I may have to work that out for my self . Thanks again

Thanks for all the help, I've decided to go with the falcon2 22watt machine. I should have it in a few days . At the moment I'm playing with the demo version of lightburn . Will purchase the software once I'm setup. . . . I found some YouTube videos on setup but very little on setting up pieces to cut/laser . Etc etc like settings and product type . I do realise I may have to work that out for my self . Thanks again
I'm still faffing about Adam but that is exactly the model I have decided to get if I do buy.
Do you mind if I ask where you're buying from? The best price I can find so far is from the Creality website at £602.10 after using the code. I'm tempted.

I bought from creality eu sale price 769 then I added coupon for 50 euro of . So 719 euro and when I payed by PayPal it had gone back up to 751 which was to conversion rate for the dollar. One thing to remember it the honeycomb and roller extra are fare more expensive from them I was advised to buy on aliexpress or amazon ... NEW669 is the code to get your discount . Valid for another 5 days . Hope this helps

If your thinking about honeycomb bed, which is a must I think, you need to consider if you want an aluminium honeycomb or a steel one.

I got an aluminium one, but wish I'd gone for steel, as with steel you can use magnets to hold material and keep it flat.

Aluminium gives less flash burn on underside, but using hold down pins only around edge doesn't always help with warped stock.

I've opted to by a 2mm thick perforated mild steel sheet to go on top, so I can use magnets.

Also check some other rollers, as they are are cheaper and compatible too.
Not got one yet myself. Need to check them out later this year.

I'm still faffing about Adam but that is exactly the model I have decided to get if I do buy.
Do you mind if I ask where you're buying from? The best price I can find so far is from the Creality website at £602.10 after using the code. I'm tempted.
Have a look at the Bambu A1 with the 4 reel addition. If you just want to print and not spend ages tinkering and are happy with the filaments this machines prints they I would buy this over a Creality printer any day, I have several creality and the Bambu and its miles apart. It just depends on what you want to print and the maximum size, Bambu printers are probably in the same region as Ultimaker if not better in my opinion.

are you still looking at a CNC Mill ?

Have a look at the Bambu A1 with the 4 reel addition. If you just want to print and not spend ages tinkering and are happy with the filaments this machines prints they I would buy this over a Creality printer any day, I have several creality and the Bambu and its miles apart. It just depends on what you want to print and the maximum size, Bambu printers are probably in the same region as Ultimaker if not better in my opinion.

are you still looking at a CNC Mill ?
I'm looking at laser engravers not 3D printers or CNC machines. Crossed wires somewhere.:unsure:

Back