Cnc router machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might try having a play with F-engrave.It might even deal with the files you acquired as it can trace images quite well.It is capable of tracing some graphics and creating engraving toolpaths from them,once you have defined the tool to use.It is particularly good at V-carving lettering,best of all-it is free.Scorch did the world a big favour by releasing it.

You might also look out for Camotics,which is a free machining simulation program.I wouldn't argue too hard in favour of any particular software as they all work after a fashion.Be aware that the CNC guys were early adopters of the subscription model for software and watch out for sharks! There are good guys too but they may not have such large promotional budgets.

Whereabouts are you based? I bought a decent sized bed around 420 by 450 with a small laser (since upgraded) from a very fair and decent bloke on Facebook in Leicester. I knew nothing but he talked me through and showed me how to work with it. PM me if you wish and I can give you more info.

The super cheap and low powered tabletop machines from the usual sales sites will teach you the basics,but they don't have the power to do much more than tickle some fine shavings off the workpiece.

The CNC sub forum here can be a source of advice too.
This isn't strictly true. I'm just getting to grips with the Woodpecker 3018 I bought a few years ago. Engraved and made cutouts in an acrylic panel as my first job. Ok I got the whole thing mirrored, good job I used scrap for my first try! I wouldn't call it feeble. Get one of the slightly better version and make sure it comes with a real chuck (else you end up heat fitting one like I'm going to have to do). Cost me between 80 and 90 quid, good for learning on! They can mill soft metals too. Mine doesn't have variable spindle speed - though I think some do.

This isn't strictly true. I'm just getting to grips with the Woodpecker 3018 I bought a few years ago. Engraved and made cutouts in an acrylic panel as my first job. Ok I got the whole thing mirrored, good job I used scrap for my first try! I wouldn't call it feeble. Get one of the slightly better version and make sure it comes with a real chuck (else you end up heat fitting one like I'm going to have to do). Cost me between 80 and 90 quid, good for learning on! They can mill soft metals too. Mine doesn't have variable spindle speed - though I think some do.
What sort of spindle speed,feed rate and depth of cut were you using?

What sort of spindle speed,feed rate and depth of cut were you using?
Don't know the spindle speed - I'd guess in the low 1000's. it's fixed by the PSU voltage anyway. A tachometer is planned! 1/8" cornmill bit for the cutting (because I already have a set of little ones), satisfactory cuts at 0.5mm, feed 300 or 400 (can't remember which). I actually started off with more aggressive 1mm/500 cuts but melting was a problem. Engraving went nicely with one of the 20° V cutters supplied with the machine. Also did a pocket which went well despite multiple restarts (stupid computer kept disconnecting). Possibly straight flutes would have been less melty...

Last edited:
james dean designs channel on youtube reviews and uses budget cnc setups, he also explains operating and basic CAD for newcomers, worth checking him out. EDIT, just noticed fezman has recommended him already.

Hi, I've got the original V1 genmitsu proverxl 4030, with a dewalt router upgrade.
Cut area 400mm x 300mm a 110mm vertical z axis travel. Been great machine, the V2 released this year is supposed to be better again.
I've been at it about 12 months, purchased monthly Carvco software, very simple learning curve in 2D designs. Tried several 3D attempts, but not good with 3D at all yet.

Stick with 2D, learn your tool bit types, plenty of learning on speeds and feeds, total different across all materials..

Started with the 300w spindle as stock, wrecked it within 2 months, set wrong feeds and speeds and depth of cut, ended up ramming it into a 40mm bit of oak, the steel spindle bent before the Oak gave way.

I stepped backwards, and started with basic tools, designs and gentle cuts, excruciatingly slow development, but feel very confident now with my own designs etc.

Expecting to get a cnc and produce anything decent off the bat is a disaster in the making.

It surprising how many variables need juggling to get a near perfect result.

For me a little change and a tweek here and there, rain in your expectations and take notes of all the speeds, feeds, tools and materials you use for a record of what does and doesn't work.

I think all in with cnc, extras, upgrades, dust extraction and diy cabinet build I'm probably up to about £1500, cnc was about £1000, the rest are bits and pieces and router upgrade to do what I want at a reasonable time frame. I can do jobs now at around d 1/4 of the time the stock spindle could do.

I like the challenge, learning cad software, grbl coding.
But it does take time and effort and an understanding wife, as you can spend hours and days, and only have a mediocre piece for all your efforts.

You will spend a lot of time learning and practicing in the first few months and not a lot to show for it.
If your partner, if you have one, is a SWMBO and doesn't like being ignored for hours or days then it's going to be a tough hobby to embark on.

If you do master the basics though, it can be very rewarding, just don't expect wonders for several months and do expect a serious bit of hassle and nagging if you don't have an understanding partner.🤫🤭🤗🤐🤨😏😒🤣

Back