Best "How to" books

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucehc1711

Reaction score
Good morning,
I'd be really grateful for recommendations on guide books for cabinet / door making.
I'm pretty much starting from scratch; having been renovating / extending the house for the last 12 years I need to deck it out!
I have a mitre saw, dovetail jig, fixed and plunge router and hand tools.
Thinking of investing in a router table and table saw, I'd be grateful on guides to build / use those as well, please.
Many thanks in advance
Bruce

Books tend to be a little out of date relative to the tools now available. It's entirely feasible to make your own doors , even full sized but I think you will need to add a planer /thicknesser to your list.

Ernest Joyce "The Technique of Furniture Making".
Best there is.
Often over priced on Ebay but hang on in and you'll get one cheap, 10 - 15 quid. Last one I bought was only 1p plus postage! I think somebody had bought up a technical library or something.
Or for joinery in general any of the pre circa 1950 books, from when hand woodwork was a major industry. My favourite is "Joinery & Carpentry" Edited; Greenhalgh. New Era Publications. 6 volumes.

Last edited:
Thanks all.
Tasks are new front door with frame and glazed side panel / inset.
2 internal cupboard doors - turning now internal window, and old fireplace into cupboards.
These all oak.
Free standing storage unit / bookshelves, plus chest of drawers and wardrobe.
These likely to be birch ply (though recommendations for alternative materials welcomed (plus sources 1/2 way between Bristol and Gloucester)).

Latest posts

Back