Basic router questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like it will do everything badly and nothing well. The table is way too small for projects needing a 1/2 " router and the cross cut miter fence is positively dangerous. For making cabinet doors most people will graduate to a profile and style cutter and that needs a proper crosscut sled riding in a channel or on the fence if you have an upmarket product. I would look at some of the better tables and dedicate your first purchase to a 1/4 " router with a 1400 W motor or so and invest in a bigger 1/2" unit down the line if you are still interested in cabinetmaking.
I've got the 1/4” DeWalt palm router and successfully made grooves in the stiles/rails for a shaker panel door but felt free hand there was both safety and accuracy elements at play. I'm going to try another mock up today but this time using the table saw for the grooves. If that works then my immediate need for a router just comes down to decorative profiles. Something that would work much better on a router table but if I'm not needing to remove large amount of material then the 1/4” may suffice... Until I can work out if I'll get enough use out of a more expensive router table

MJward,
We have communicated various times, mainly about design. I will be selling my cast Iron router table with a half inch Hitachi router soon, could probably do a deal with a bunch of cutters. The heavy cast top lifts up on gas struts for access to the router. I am on a list for knee joint replacement so standing at a bench is a no.no! Clearing a lot but stored in a barn.

A router table really can be as easy as just bolting your router under a piece of MDF and using clamps to hold the fence in place, that is how I've managed for years.

Watch your fingers if cutting grooves on the table saw.......
This will be todays fun. Will try the table saw and also a very very DIY basic router table. Starting the day with 10 fingers but will see how it goes!

MJward,
We have communicated various times, mainly about design. I will be selling my cast Iron router table with a half inch Hitachi router soon, could probably do a deal with a bunch of cutters. The heavy cast top lifts up on gas struts for access to the router. I am on a list for knee joint replacement so standing at a bench is a no.no! Clearing a lot but stored in a barn.
Sounds like a beast of a machine! With arthritis in my knee I know exactly what you mean, I couldn't walk for a week after laying herringbone in the bedroom last month. Getting old is fun!

I've got the 1/4” DeWalt palm router and successfully made grooves in the stiles/rails for a shaker panel door but felt free hand there was both safety and accuracy elements at play. I'm going to try another mock up today but this time using the table saw for the grooves. If that works then my immediate need for a router just comes down to decorative profiles. Something that would work much better on a router table but if I'm not needing to remove large amount of material then the 1/4” may suffice... Until I can work out if I'll get enough use out of a more expensive router table
Fair enough. A router table is really the only way to go for routing edge profiles. Try and find a fence that takes shims on the outfeed side. Many cutters take off a mm or so so you need to offset the fence to compensate. I've yet to find a two part adjustable fence except the Jessem TA fence and that of course is megabucks.

I've yet to find a two part adjustable fence except the Jessem TA fence and that of course is megabucks.
The Kreg router table fence can be offset using two nylon rods slid into groves but not on the same level as the Jessem or Incra fences which offer very precise adjustments. I tend to just use a large plastic shim behind the outfeed fence which works great but again requires removal and refit of the outfeed fence unike Jessem and Incra.

Not sure I'm picturing the issue/resolution but suspect because I've got zero experience with router tables. Are you saying the shims are used to shift the outfeed fence towards the bit by a mm to account for what it removes from the piece (i.e. keeping it level with the infeed)?

I too have one of the Lumberjack router tables. I am very much a DIY'er and it's been a real step up from a home made MDF/melamine type table. The fence isn't fantastic and it's never going to make it in a pro shop, but for me it does the job.

Not sure I'm picturing the issue/resolution but suspect because I've got zero experience with router tables. Are you saying the shims are used to shift the outfeed fence towards the bit by a mm to account for what it removes from the piece
What is does is offset the outfeed fence by a small amount in relation to the infeed fence. If you were to put a piece of wood along the infeed fence it would now be stoped by the projecting outfeed fence. The outfeed fence is set to the cutter, now the piece of wood being fed along the infeed fence is reduced by the amount of offset and will just run off the outfeed fence. Watch this video and all will become clear

This is the Ryobi router table I have had for years with a Ryobi 1/2" router slung underneath I have done panel raising with it using a CMT 85 mm diameter cutter no problem it has a sliding front bed and the router has a fine adjuster screw for final setting keep an eye on ebay they are on sometimes , The fence is adjustable on both intake and outtake faces
20230118_192632.jpg

I too have one of the Lumberjack router tables. I am very much a DIY'er and it's been a real step up from a home made MDF/melamine type table. The fence isn't fantastic and it's never going to make it in a pro shop, but for me it does the job.
Yes. Some profiles like bullnose cutters take off a mm or so. If you don't set the outfeed fence a mm out relative to the infeed fence the piece will fall off the infeed fence on to the cutter and cause a snipe. Using shims is ok but it can be tricky finding a shim that is exactly the right width. Hard sheets of thin plastic are useful if you can find them.

This is the Ryobi router table I have had for years with a Ryobi 1/2" router slung underneath I have done panel raising with it using a CMT 85 mm diameter cutter no problem it has a sliding front bed and the router has a fine adjuster screw for final setting keep an eye on ebay they are on sometimes , The fence is adjustable on both intake and outtake faces View attachment 152410
Looks a very decent bit of kit that!👍

Yes. Some profiles like bullnose cutters take off a mm or so. If you don't set the outfeed fence a mm out relative to the infeed fence the piece will fall off the infeed fence on to the cutter and cause a snipe. Using shims is ok but it can be tricky finding a shim that is exactly the right width. Hard sheets of thin plastic are useful if you can find them.
I've found these shims very useful in the renovation so far, accurate and cheap

20230131_141913.jpg

I find a pack of playing cards useful for shimming the outfeed fence (amongst other things), can get very precise offset.

It looks like it will do everything badly and nothing well. The table is way too small for projects needing a 1/2 " router and the cross cut miter fence is positively dangerous. For making cabinet doors most people will graduate to a profile and style cutter and that needs a proper crosscut sled riding in a channel or on the fence if you have an upmarket product. I would look at some of the better tables and dedicate your first purchase to a 1/4 " router with a 1400 W motor or so and invest in a bigger 1/2" unit down the line if you are still interested in cabinetmaking.
It really is an awful unit. It doesn't descend an awful lot which meant it was a bit useless for longer router bits e.g. large flush trim bit with bearing on the top. Surface is not completely flat and too small. I ended up bolting a self-made ply surface to it with proper runners. The motor runs ok but it was a little of centre and slightly angled. As with many people, a cog inside the lift mechanism came loose and fell off which meant having to take the whole thing apart to fix. Also, the lift wheel broke so I replaced it with a metal one. In the end, I took the whole thing apart and reinstalled it in a custom made router table, with a shim to correct the angle problem.

Thanks to the recent sale at WWW I decided to get the Incra router lift and AUK motor offer and am so much happier. A much better unit all round. So much smoother mechanism. Lift descends a long way. Motor is smoother and more powerful.

Really wish I hadn't wasted my money on the Lumberjack piece of tat. Definitely a case of buy cheap, buy twice. Strange thing is I have never scrimped like that before and won't do it again in the future.

It really is an awful unit. It doesn't descend an awful lot which meant it was a bit useless for longer router bits e.g. large flush trim bit with bearing on the top. Surface is not completely flat and too small. I ended up bolting a self-made ply surface to it with proper runners. The motor runs ok but it was a little of centre and slightly angled. As with many people, a cog inside the lift mechanism came loose and fell off which meant having to take the whole thing apart to fix. Also, the lift wheel broke so I replaced it with a metal one. In the end, I took the whole thing apart and reinstalled it in a custom made router table, with a shim to correct the angle problem.

Thanks to the recent sale at WWW I decided to get the Incra router lift and AUK motor offer and am so much happier. A much better unit all round. So much smoother mechanism. Lift descends a long way. Motor is smoother and more powerful.

Really wish I hadn't wasted my money on the Lumberjack piece of tat. Definitely a case of buy cheap, buy twice. Strange thing is I have never scrimped like that before and won't do it again in the future.
Well, I suppose that you can only speak as you find. My experience is quite the opposite. If mine should fail tomorrow I would replace it with the same.

Transformed my second string Lumberjack router by fitting the UJK small router table fence:
DSC02041.jpeg

Back