Basic router questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The beauty of having adjustable out feed on back fence means I can use up all the 50 and 60 mm 1/2" straight cutters I amased instaling kitchens where the tips were worn , used raised from the bed 40mm they have a sharp edge handy for planing 18 to 22mm boards for gluing up . Off set the out feed by 1 to 3mm perfect edge

Thanks to the recent sale at WWW I decided to get the Incra router lift and AUK motor offer and am so much happier. A much better unit all round. So much smoother mechanism. Lift descends a long way. Motor is smoother and more powerful.
They cost over £800 plus you still need a table and a fence

Once you own a router lift like Jessem or Incra it will last a lifetime and deliver precision, they sound expensive but if you think a Triton Tra001 is now around £280 Triton TRA001 2400W Dual Mode Plunge Router 240V | Toolstation and the AUK is £280 AUKTools 2400W Fixed Base Router with NVR Switch then with the Triton you need a plate at £70 for a Jessem or £145 for Incra, or you could get the Jessem prestige for £380 now is that as expensive as first thought. For an extra £140 you get the best router lift / motor setup compared to sticking a triton in a jessem prestige which you might also want the £70 muscle chuck.

Hi Roy, I'm not dissing the idea of spending large amounts of wonga on stuff that's going to last a life time, in fact I have owned Jessem lifts since they came out and Jessem and Incra fences, but the OP has never used a router table before and is trying to restore his house so would imagine most if not all of his money will be going on that, sometimes reality gets in the way of wishes

but the OP has never used a router table before and is trying to restore his house so would imagine most if not all of his money will be going on that, sometimes reality gets in the way of wishes
But having decent tools that just deliver without any fuss or struggle makes any job a breeze, you want to get the restoration done without struggling with messed up workpieces or tools that let you down. You need to factor in stuff like making decent mouldings over just purchasing, the savings here will offset the cost of tooling. I learnt the hardway with cheap chiesels, I would have got better results with a pet beaver until I forked out on some decent ones which cut without needing hitting with a club hammer.

Excuse me, but my Beaver is offended by that remark. she never has problems apart from getting her teeth under the grinder

After a day of learning yday, trying the table saw for grooves, making first biscuit and dowel joints etc etc I made the decision to get a "high end" router table. At a minimum I decided I needed a router table full stop. Then I got to thinking about the sheer amount of work to do on this place and how much easier it would be with the right tools. Then I thought that the gear fetches good money second hand so I shouldn't think of it as spending X but a part of it.

Then I realised the Mrs is away for another 10 days so I've got a window of opportunity to snuggle loads of boxes in 🤣🤣🤣

Totally understand what you mean. It is a huge difference. I'm certainly not comparing like for like, and also understand that people have budgets to keep to.

Like Roy has already answered, paying for something that is more expensive now is still cheaper than buying more expensive down the line when you've already paid for something cheaper (as in my experience with the Lumberjack). Factoring inflation too, it would have been cheaper for me to buy the Incra/AUK combo a couple of years back when I got the Lumberjack, so I have ended up paying even more than I should have. And since using the new setup, the difference is night and day and definitely worth the extra.

I also thought it might be useful to provide an account of my opinion of the machine in case the OP regretted purchasing it down the line. Again, I understand this is just my opinion and that others have had good experiences.

I've decided to go for the INCRA Mast-R-Lift II/AUK 2400W combo. I had been looking at the new Trend T14 router and when you add in the cost of the router plate I am basically buying the lift for peanuts (although concede I do lose flexibility by not having an independent plunge router but have my DeWalt 1/4" for that).

Now onto the table/fence. Paying heed to earlier comments about being able to adjust infeed/outfeed, it's not overly clear on product listings which fences allow this. Also I gather I should be looking for one that is flexible enough to allow large diameter bits (should I ever use them).

Much like with the router/lift, it's an area where the difference in fence prices is vast:

1) Trend RT/FENCE/A Router Table Back Fence 69.95
2) UJK PROFESSIONAL ROUTER TABLE FENCE 184.98
3) Kreg PSR1015 Precision Router Table Fence 189.95
4) Rutlands Premium Router Table Fence - 710mm 199.99
5) INCRA Wonder Fence Stand Alone 940mm 329.95
6) JessEm Mast-R-Fence III 339.95

And that's without even looking at the router table itself but for that I'm definitely going for the laminate over cast iron to try and save some money. Could potentially build the top myself but I just don't think I currently have the accuracy required to perfectly router out the required grooves for T-track and the router plate itself etc.

Unlike those above I actually did it the other way around I bought the UJK Professional router table with UJK lift and all attachments and bought the Lumberjack as a second router table as a stop gap and put the Axminster small router table fence on it, to be honest I use it a lot as its conveniently small, the speed control adjustment at the table front is so much more convenient than having to bend down and grope around in the dust box of the UJK table, as a first table router I can't think of anything better.

The beauty of having adjustable out feed on back fence means I can use up all the 50 and 60 mm 1/2" straight cutters I amased instaling kitchens where the tips were worn , used raised from the bed 40mm they have a sharp edge handy for planing 18 to 22mm boards for gluing up . Off set the out feed by 1 to 3mm perfect edge
That is the first small router table I've seen with an adjustable fence. I think the newer Ryobi replacement has as well but it is all plastic and phenolic. Well done for holding on to it !.

That is the first small router table I've seen with an adjustable fence. I think the newer Ryobi replacement has as well but it is all plastic and phenolic. Well done for holding on to it !.
There is no plastic on the table at all excepting NV switch and two rubber pads to cushion the hinged bed, all the rest is cast iron ,steel and alley and as for fence setting I have never seen the need of sub 1mm accuracy wood is a living thing and is susceptible to temp and environmental changes. Exception to the rule is when I'm making my miniatures when 1mm is equal to 1/2" ish

I had the lumberjack table for 3 months, I just gave it away to a neighbor and made my own with a more powerful motor and a better fence and a router lift and its night and day difference I wish I just saved longer and got the better one in the first place, the lumberjack was underpowered and had a fair bit of play in it.

concede I do lose flexibility by not having an independent plunge router but have my
It comes down to the right tool for the job, I think putting a plunge router into a table has always been out of necessity and originated from when we had no other options but now we have the right tool for the job which has been designed with just the table in mind. I think the router motor held round its's waist is a better solution than hanging the plunge router by its top, it has to reduce vibration as it is now clamped rigidly rather than just by some screws.

I've decided to go for the INCRA Mast-R-Lift II/AUK 2400W combo. I had been looking at the new Trend T14 router and when you add in the cost of the router plate I am basically buying the lift for peanuts (although concede I do lose flexibility by not having an independent plunge router but have my DeWalt 1/4" for that).

Now onto the table/fence. Paying heed to earlier comments about being able to adjust infeed/outfeed, it's not overly clear on product listings which fences allow this. Also I gather I should be looking for one that is flexible enough to allow large diameter bits (should I ever use them).

Much like with the router/lift, it's an area where the difference in fence prices is vast:

1) Trend RT/FENCE/A Router Table Back Fence 69.95
2) UJK PROFESSIONAL ROUTER TABLE FENCE 184.98
3) Kreg PSR1015 Precision Router Table Fence 189.95
4) Rutlands Premium Router Table Fence - 710mm 199.99
5) INCRA Wonder Fence Stand Alone 940mm 329.95
6) JessEm Mast-R-Fence III 339.95

And that's without even looking at the router table itself but for that I'm definitely going for the laminate over cast iron to try and save some money. Could potentially build the top myself but I just don't think I currently have the accuracy required to perfectly router out the required grooves for T-track and the router plate itself etc.

This is the one I bought, and luckily didn't get charged customs:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004067474567.html
I also got a pair of these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004787808109.html
Both work extremely well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the lumberjack table for 3 months, I just gave it away to a neighbor and made my own with a more powerful motor and a better fence and a router lift and its night and day difference I wish I just saved longer and got the better one in the first place, the lumberjack was underpowered and had a fair bit of play in it.
Don't know what you where routing with the Lumberjack, but I make oak picture frames on mine without a problem, perhaps being a bit optimistic with the depth of cut in one pass may be the problem you encountered.

It's tradition on here that when people are talking about spending a lot of money on a router table someone has to point out the fact that you can get a spindle moulder for less. Might seem a bit daunting but cutters are cheaper, can do the work much faster and give a better finish.

This chap seems to have a few decent used entry level ones and might not be too far away from you.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225379859017?hash=item3479afba49:g:nu8AAOSwkKxjvHnX

OK, theres decent tools, but does the tool make you a better craftsman.
What about the quality of work produced by cabinetmakers of the 19th century. No incra fence or jessem routers there.

Last edited:
What about the quality of work produced by cabinetmakers of the 19th century. No incra fence or jessem routers there.
But highly skilled craftsmen who were taught by others with years of experience and the skills were past down. We now live in a fast paced world where we want jobs done fast and are not willing to wait.

But highly skilled craftsmen who were taught by others with years of experience and the skills were past down. We now live in a fast paced world where we want jobs done fast and are not willing to wait.
This is it. Over generations we have accepted a drop in quality, whether that be furniture, new build homes or even clothing. When it comes to woodworking, I am coming at it from a DIYist perspective where the family have been living in a property with with bare walls, covered in dust etc for the past 18 months so now that we are in the "putting it back together" phase, I simply don't have the luxury of time. That said, after doing the electrics, plumbing, general building solo, woodworking is the only trade I can see myself doing post renovation and look forward to really learning/making a lot more

Back