Moving Workshop Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWWorkshop

Reaction score
Good morning all,

Unexpectedly we are moving from our own family house in North Yorkshire back into rented accommodation. Due to my career we do move around a lot (roughly every 2 years) though on this occasion it was genuinely something of a surprise!

This means I have yet another conundrum on workshops. Having invested a great deal of time and effort into the current one it's sad to be leaving and I will likely again find myself in a single car garage with inappropriate electrics. Last time we moved I took the opportunity to sell lots of my old machinery and invest in some bigger pieces, all of which I have loved and cared for and fettled, for instance installing a router table in my table saw etc.

So my questions for the forum are these:

1) If you had to move workshop to the other end of the country would you take your machinery with you or sell it and re-buy in the new location? My concern is that machine prices have gone up in the new market and I could end up a significantly worse position.

2) Given my situation should I be looking to invest in some battery powered machinery like a table saw and mitre saw to ease the pressure on the electrics in rented accommodation? Does anyone have any experience of this stuff and know if it's any good for fine furniture making rather than site work, albeit as a hobby?

3) Any general advice on moving workshops, building storage crates etc etc.

TIA

Probably take it with you. Buying new and collecting them, re-fettling will involve far more effort. Unless that's the bit you enjoy?

I'd pack up and take with you. Unless you don't like a particular piece of kit in which case sell it and buy the one which suits you better.

Lightweight tools your general removers will probably take, but anything cast iron I think they will decline to take it.

I that case your options are pallet or machinery movers.

1) If you had to move workshop to the other end of the country would you take your machinery with you or sell it and re-buy in the new location? My concern is that machine prices have gone up in the new market and I could end up a significantly worse position.
Better the devils you know I would say, if they deliver and you like them then keep them.

2) Given my situation should I be looking to invest in some battery powered machinery like a table saw and mitre saw to ease the pressure on the electrics in rented accommodation? Does anyone have any experience of this stuff and know if it's any good for fine furniture making rather than site work, albeit as a hobby?
Don't even think of doing this until you see where you end up, either you will find the supply adequate or just as cheap to upgrade as buy new cordless tools.

3) Any general advice on moving workshops, building storage crates etc etc.

Avoid if at all possible, you are not a vicar are you as they get shifted from pillar to post .

New machine prices may well have gone up but I saw a clean looking, recent model Sedgwick PT255 on ebay recently for just £900. That is a steal but it didn't sell !
I would want to keep my "good" machines but as @Jameshow suggests, change is also an opportunity to replace the lesser ones.

Last year I moved from central Notts to south Yorks and took everything I had with me. We used a removable company so all I had to do was a little prep work prior to move day (to ensure anything fragile was adequately protected ) and they did everything for me which I highly recommend. They came round to quote for me beforehand to see what we had for moving and had no qualms at all about any of my stuff which included a table saw, p/t, Pillar drill, Bandsaw, morticer ,large wheeled tool cabinet and a stupidly big bench on wheels ( 8’x 3’).

What would you guys recommend when putting stuff in storage until a new home has been found ? Thinking we will have to put everything in storage for a while.

Back