Basic router questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the one I bought, and luckily didn't get charged customs:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004067474567.html
I also got a pair of these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004787808109.html
Both work extremely well.
Wow, looks really good kit for the price and would be clicking buy if those delivery dates weren't so far away. That said, think I'll buy those roller feeders as I can make do with a feather board for now but I've seen those in action and it seems a very smart addition. thank you!

I have been following this with interest as I am in a similar quandary…
At present I have two 1/4” single speed (POF500) plus a 1/2” plunge router.
In addition I have a Powerbase 900 foldable bench which can be set up as a router table. I use the Powerbase table with the POF500 routers although I hate it with a passion mainly as the mounting plate is pressed steel and not flat plus the fence is poor.
I now want to upgrade mainly so I can run a mitre lock cutter.
I don’t really want to put my existing 1/2” router in the Powerbase table as I don’t think the mounting plate is accurate enough and I’ll need to wrestle with the plunge mechanism to set the depth.
I could spring for a 1/2” router with fine depth control, cheapest options being secondhand or a Lumberjack PR12 and I am considering making a replacement for the steel plate from 18mm MDF.
Another option is the Lumberjack/Excel router table the OP was considering.
Or do I dig deep and get the JessEm lift and 1500w AUK motor (2400w exceeds budget unless WWW are about to have another flash sale 😉). The JessEm lift will still require me to make up a table (or insert for the Powerbase table) and fence of course but these could be upgraded as and when funds permit.
Any thoughts, tips/advice or encouragement gratefully received.

Or do I dig deep and get the JessEm lift and 1500w AUK motor (2400w exceeds budget unless WWW are about to have another flash sale 😉). The JessEm lift will still require me to make up a table (or insert for the Powerbase table) and fence of course but these could be upgraded as and when funds permit.
Any thoughts, tips/advice or encouragement gratefully received.

Based solely on my experience stumbling blindly along this well-trodden path, if you have to make decisions based on budget, allocate money to those items which will be more costly to replace later. In the case of the router and lift, I would (and did) spend my money on the 2400W motor and either the JessEm or Incra lift. The other items, such as table, top, and fence are less important and much easier to change later.

There are several examples of UKW members building their own router tables using available kitchen countertops or other common materials.

Based solely on my experience stumbling blindly along this well-trodden path, if you have to make decisions based on budget, allocate money to those items which will be more costly to replace later. In the case of the router and lift, I would (and did) spend my money on the 2400W motor and either the JessEm or Incra lift. The other items, such as table, top, and fence are less important and much easier to change later.

There are several examples of UKW members building their own router tables using available kitchen countertops or other common materials.
Agree. And even though it's a lot of cash you never think about it a month or two down the line.

After a lot of procrastination.....finally pulled the trigger. Thanks all for the advice! Now to get some bits and accessories.

Screenshot 2023-02-05 153639.jpg

I bought one of these:
The big advantage of the likes of Jessem , Incra and woodpecker over either the UJK or that one is that they adjust on a single screw and use linear bearings. Once you get into belts or chains to move multiple colombs you have uneccessary complication and room for problems, you cannot beat simplicity in a good design.

My Jessem Rout-R-Lift must be around 20 years old, never had a single problem with it and that still uses the original belt, just saying

Putting updates on a separate thread around rail/stile router bits but just to close this one off, very happy with the recommendations on here and loving the new kit. Added a Rockler coping sled and it's given me a lot more confidence around the table

20230301_151538.jpg

Already forgotten how much the Incra and AUK cost now? Great kit isn't it
Ha not forgotten but was a painless transition... My previous hobby was photography and I've sold all my equipment and now have a pot to buy woodworking stuff 😂 it's lovely gear and really enjoy using it

Back