11mm dado over 5m. 40 times.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somewhere on here is a link to a Dado blade with a standard Kerf, can't seem to find it at the moment.

Have we decided on what crazy convoluted Heath Robinson approach we're giving to this task ?

Personally if it was me, with the limited stuff I've got, I'd set up the router table, set the fence and at high speed setting horse through in 2 passes. As long as the cutter shank is fully seated down into the collet so it cant creep all should go swimmingly.

Basic router tables are easy to make. As are basic featherboards.

Just a heads up, Fully Seating a cutter into a router is not generally regarded as a good idea as they get stuck, I put a small rubber O ring in the bottom of the collet to prevent this.

The best approach would be a double fence and 2 or 3 passes taking 5mm at a time. Dont just try and take it all in 1 go.
The biggest issue will be holding pieces securely while routing

It all sounds like hard work to me. If ever there was a need for a tablesaw and dado blades then this is it. We are talking 200m of trench here at one pass as a dado stack will do easily. Say 3 x 200m with a router. I would rather just buy the I beams.
Regards
John

Definitely a job for a spindle moulder, find a local joinery firm to do it for you, will take ages using a router.

I did raise this question earlier but the thread seems to be working on the ostrich principle.

He is wanting to form the groove in 47x75 construction timber not planed and jointed cabinet making material.

Over the 40 pieces he wants to cut, it will have some variation in width. How does a double fence cope with this?
It's evolution.......Things get more complicated over time.

See post #9

Not much use - but if you had a spindle moulder and a power feed this would be dead easy. Wobble saw cutter, ideally.
Can't you emulate the spindle with a big router in a long table, with spring hold-downs, hold-ins etc?

PS I see @dephill said it before me. It's no great problem really.

It all sounds like hard work to me.
It's all hard work, or at least doing things by hand should be. Traditional ways of working have been lost by the need to do this, do that, quick as you can. Maybe thats fine in an industrial setting or a commercial cabinet makers, but outwith that hand skills are where its at, as some on this very forum with testify(not me, I haven't the time :LOL: )

But if you think back on to how things were made, for example coachmakers, who had a plane for everything, the time and the skill always sat with the makers. If it takes that long it takes that long and I do know of some cabinet makers who have customers on their books who may have to wait 2 or 3 years for their piece to get made. Not because it takes that long, but because theres other customers in front of them.

I can understand the love these days of hand skills, I've been down that road myself, and while it took a lot of time, and a lot of effort,blood,sweat and certainly tears, the satisfaction and pride in completion far outweighed the profit gained from it.

Easiest way is don’t cut a groove. Buy or cut some long thin strips and nail them to the top of the pieces 11mm apart. That way you have a groove and don’t have to faff cutting it. As it won’t be seen they don’t need to be pretty. Even roofing batten ripped in half could work.

If you wanted to be fancy you could glue it as well as nailing.

Routing all those grooves accurately won’t be as much fun as just whacking in some nails and spacing the gap with an offcut of the mdf

Just a brief note as I'm on mobile to say thanks all for the continued input! I was away for a few days hence not keeping up with the thread, but will look it all over, digest, and act when I have time!

Definitely many, many ways to skin this particular cat though

loads of silly cheap secondhand router tables on marketplace. You may even find one local.

Back