Table saw router addition/conversion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a bit frustrated with my little router table, especially the fence is annoying to adjust and I always seem to want a bigger area than it provides.
I'm also not over-supplied with space.
So been toying with converting the table saw table.
A few questions:
- How does dust collection work on these conversions? At the moment it's from/through the router table fence and whilst not perfect, does ok at keeping dust out of the router
- Doesn't it make cutter change a pain? I have to do it under the table. Would that be cured with a collet extension (or does that just come unscrewed again when loosening the active collet)?
- Are there any routers better designed for table use (e.g. above-table change by default)?
- I'd have to remove one of the extension panels (cast iron) to fit this in as I don't think cutting the necessary holes in it is my bag. Presumably some 1" laminate would do for the new table in the space?
- Any other comments/ideas/advice?

Thanks in advance

Here are some early pics of mine on my SIP 01332 with the table extensions fitted one each side so the router table need to fold when not in use. I upgraded the insert with an Incra magnalock plate and a Router razer lift both from Peter Sefton, also a collet extension for use with a DeWalt 625.
It takes just a few minutes to set up, still a pain but I need the space and everything is a compromise. The table itself is from Rutlands as it was on offer though the original intention was to make one.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 0
Mounting a router in the tablesaw wing is a great space saver. I did the same only the formica wing was already part of the saw setup. I made a fence that clamps on to the saw fence. Used the NVR switch off an old Aldi router table.
Regards
John

Mounting a router in the tablesaw wing is a great space saver. I did the same only the formica wing was already part of the saw setup. I made a fence that clamps on to the saw fence. Used the NVR switch off an old Aldi router table.
Regards
John
Would love to see your setup, if you've got a link to this, I see the insert which looks neat,
but no fence pics.
I've got a fence to adapt and pondering about how to tackle it yet.
Thanks
Tom

SAM_8560.JPG

Router table fence (shop built) in table saw outfeed (Hammer K3) ...

RTF7a.jpg

Rear dust collection ...

2.jpg

Using a Festool twin hose ...

Festool-twin-hose.jpg

... the arrangement is similar to this ...

MilesCraft.jpg

Dust collected by a Festool CT26e ...

Festool-System3.jpg

Old Elu 177e router (fantastic!) ...

140BF198-3F35-4293-A369-C87DC2B27ACD.png

Hope this gives you ideas.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Back