Repurpose a benchtop router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryM!

Reaction score
HI All,

This is my first post here, I do a bit of diy and want to do little more wood working

I'm want to rearrange my shed and build a better workbench. My space is very tight.

So I use my mitre saw a lot, but it takes up a lot of space, so for this I'm going to build a flip top. So when it upright it will be at the same level as the bench, the other flipped side will be a flat bench.

I also have a benchtop router table, it's some weird make PIngtek, but it's basically a blue version of the lumberjack table here

56cdb3_146f50ffd0174aaca11148b510a13a58~mv2.jpg

It takes up a lot of space when in use, if I put on the bench its a bit high, so i tend to put it on a lower stand, but then it hard to move around and I don't want to rearrange my workshop every time i use it. The new bench will below so I will have space to build a router table into it: so two thought, well three really

1. Do I make a low shelf in the bench and sit the router in it, with a cut out in the bench the same size as the table top so router fits snuggly in at the same level of the bench: the fence is not great so I could look at making a better one, that fastens to the surrounding bench
  2. Dismantle router table using all the innards, motor, stop go, lifter etc and build a new table around it: this could be a good option but I will need to work out how I can fix motor and lifter to new table top, but is it worth it?
  3. Buy new and build a router into bench.: expensive and wastes my existing router

While typing this, I think the solutions has become a little clearer, option 1 and if that does not work well I can look a building a new table router into the space.

This is a bit of a ramble, just trying confirm the direction to go

Thoughts

Thanks

Option 2.
Also this guy has a good flip top build, no fiddly locking pins or bolts

This guy too, but the whole bench

I'm intending to use a flip cart like that for my mitre saw, I've seen that design and I do like it, although the door clips on the sides would do my head in. I wouldn't be able to push in flush with other carts ;). I could use the idea for router table, but I want the router table top to fit in snug and the same level as the bench.

I'm intending to use a flip cart like that for my mitre saw, I've seen that design and I do like it, although the door clips on the sides would do my head in. I wouldn't be able to push in flush with other carts ;). I could use the idea for router table, but I want the router table top to fit in snug and the same level as the bench.
This is another option for mitre saw, think I'll be using this route for my mitre saw build!

This is another option for mitre saw, think I'll be using this route for my mitre saw build!

Interesting, think I prefer the flip version, I quite like the idea of flip, slide and use nice an quick (other than removing all the tools etc. on the bench.

By the way I love this solution for mitre saw station, I think it's brilliant.

I would use it but I just want a quick way to put my saw away and have more bench space.

This video is hard to watch, but it's a very good simple compact solution, (the mitre saw part). It would well for both my mitre saw and router table.

I've got a 10" SIP mitre saw, big, heavy and needs lot of rear space. So I also need it to slide it forward and lock in position to use it. That's why the lift appeals to me and no hassle with dust extraction, it can stay attached.

Toyed with idea of selling the SIP and getting DEWALT DWS774 216MM 240v. Lighter, smaller footprint, minimal rear space. Smaller cut capacity but don't do that much big stuff now?

I found this a quite interesting adaptation. Drop down instead of a "flip top". May be worth considering?

Nice idea, that could work, looks like there is a lot of stress on the rear hinges/pivot. I would also want to put a replacement bit of bench to complete the bench top when saw is down.

I think for my mitre saw the flip and slide is the better solution for me, the saw is supported at the front, back and at pivot point.

Nice idea, that could work, looks like there is a lot of stress on the rear hinges/pivot. I would also want to put a replacement bit of bench to complete the bench top when saw is down.

I think for my mitre saw the flip and slide is the better solution for me, the saw is supported at the front, back and at pivot point.
He's presently updating his workshop and benches. That link was from about 4 years back. Open to adaptation for different circumstances. His other videos are also "inspiring" for working in small spaces.

I've watched many videos on the flip top work units/benches as I've an extremely small area for my "workshop"; 11ft 4" x 7ft 4" approx. Was going to start on devising my own flip tops to fit together as a centre bench so I could move to either long side of the shop to give work space... and a flat top when tools not required: lathe, Triton TP125 thicknesser etc., and router/saw table. Then high prices for materials hit. A pension only goes so far at the moment 😉

Why did he take the crown guard off his table saw when cutting? rhetorical question.

Back