Big Triton Router (TRA001)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sams93

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have managed to get hold of a very near brand-new TRA001, and the Kreg router plate for it. I paid £50 for them together which might be one of my best ever facebook marketplace finds!

My first impressions are that it is absolutely massive, much larger than I had anticipated. I cannot realistically see that I could use it handheld, it's just so heavy and unwieldy.

I intend to mount it in a table (goodness knows where or how because I have zero workshop space left). Prior to this router I have only owned my dewalt trim router which I made a small table for which lives under my workbench. I will have to try and make a 'portable' or at least bench-mountable router table for this new massive one.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone has experience with this router, and if anyone had tried mounting it in a table which is semi-portable in any way?

Thanks,

Sam

Attachments

• 61uXwcOh8DL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61uXwcOh8DL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 713vR4gdA.jpg
    713vR4gdA.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 0
You need to search these forums as there has been a lot of info regarding this router over the years. I used to have one in a kreg plate in a Kreg table, now it is in a Jessem lifter in the Kreg table and it has ended up being modified somewhat to make it easier to use. With the kreg plate it has a crank that can be used above the table which makes setting the height easier but always adjust up to setting and not down. Also use the side knob for course adjustment and the crank for the fine as it uses plastic gears. Remove the spring, single screw holding that plastic cap to make life easier. Future mods that I did were to use a muscle chuck and remove the indent that locks the spindle in the fully raised position and also the interlock on the switch so I can turn it on/off much easier with a simple switch mounted on the table, if you are in an awkward moment and holding the workpiece at the end of a run you want to turn it off without fumbling under the table. If you are short on space then look at what I am planing and that is to incorporate the router into a workbench like Denis from hooked on wood has done.

You need to search these forums as there has been a lot of info regarding this router over the years. I used to have one in a kreg plate in a Kreg table, now it is in a Jessem lifter in the Kreg table and it has ended up being modified somewhat to make it easier to use. With the kreg plate it has a crank that can be used above the table which makes setting the height easier but always adjust up to setting and not down. Also use the side knob for course adjustment and the crank for the fine as it uses plastic gears. Remove the spring, single screw holding that plastic cap to make life easier. Future mods that I did were to use a muscle chuck and remove the indent that locks the spindle in the fully raised position and also the interlock on the switch so I can turn it on/off much easier with a simple switch mounted on the table, if you are in an awkward moment and holding the workpiece at the end of a run you want to turn it off without fumbling under the table. If you are short on space then look at what I am planing and that is to incorporate the router into a workbench like Denis from hooked on wood has done.

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't come across the 'muscle chuck' before but it looks quite handy (although at 3x the cost of my router it would be quite an investment).

I will take your point on board about the plastic adjustment gears, do you know if replacements or spares for those are available at all?

I will have a search to see if you have posted about how you did it in a thread elsewhere, but removing the interlock so that it can be controlled by an external switch sounds like something that would be quite useful.

I have such a small (6x8) workshop that even mounting anything into the bench is an issue as I don't then have enough space around it often. For larger things like this usually I am better off working outside the workshop i.e using a portable cabinet or something on wheels.

Ideally I would come up with a system which allows the router to just live on a plate which I can then clamp to my workbench. I will have a think...

but removing the interlock so that it can be controlled by an external switch sounds like something that would be quite useful.
The reason for that interlock is for people who do not ensure the bit is free to spin before turning it on with the spindle lock still engaged. With a muscle chuck you can remove that spindle plunger as you no longer need to lock the spindle to remove the bit.

The reason for that interlock is for people who do not ensure the bit is free to spin before turning it on with the spindle lock still engaged. With a muscle chuck you can remove that spindle plunger as you no longer need to lock the spindle to remove the bit.
ahh that makes sense. In which case it would be probably foolish for me to bypass it as I am unlikely to install a muscle chuck (as attractive as the thing looks on their rather nice website)

In which case it would be probably foolish for me to bypass it
For me it had to go well before I fitted the muscle chuck. All I did was fully raise to lock the spindle, change the cutter and lower back down, check it was free to spin and no issues. I first found the switch on the router was a bad idea when doing some slots, got to the end of the run against the stop and now needed to turn off the router without moving the workpiece which I was holding against the fence. Had to fumble one handed to find that switch without letting the work move and get damaged by the cutter. It got sorted soon after !

Hi guys, I will be undergoing the same project very soon. I have the same router and looking to mount it in a fold away table if possible.
I also have a small workshop 8'x10' ish so I share your dilemma.

@sams93 You got a real bargain there my friend, I bought mine at the Screwfix show last year and it's still in the box sadly. I'm hopeful that I can get some ideas this year for how to mount it as I also need a mounting plate.
Best wishes Dave.

I have had my TRA001 for 16 years now and it's still going strong. It is fitted to the Triton Router Stand which includes a knee operated switch so no modifications are needed to the router. It remains "on" at the router switch but controlled on and off via the knee switch. Obviously it needs to be turned off at the router switch for bit changes but that is easily a good safety proceedure. I suggest that you purchase a suitable switch to operate with your knee and connect the router through that.
Nigel

Hi guys, I will be undergoing the same project very soon. I have the same router and looking to mount it in a fold away table if possible.
I also have a small workshop 8'x10' ish so I share your dilemma.
Yes I really don't have anywhere else left in my workshop to store it! I have one cabinet which my smaller bandsaw lives on, I recently cleared out the cabinet contents, and i'm wondering if I could make a collapsible router table which would fit with the router in there. I'll have a measure up, otherwise it is going to have to be something which lives in the loft and only comes out for special 1/2" routering occasions!
@sams93 You got a real bargain there my friend, I bought mine at the Screwfix show last year and it's still in the box sadly. I'm hopeful that I can get some ideas this year for how to mount it as I also need a mounting plate.
Best wishes Dave.
Yes I am absolutely delighted at the price I got it for! The kreg plate seems really good as well and will be great once I find something suitable to mount it in! I think the price to buy it new (£70) seems a bit steep though. I'm currently thinking whether I could adapt the door of my bandsaw cabinet to swing upwards on hinges and also be a router table.... Food for thought!

Yes I really don't have anywhere else left in my workshop to store it! I have one cabinet which my smaller bandsaw lives on, I recently cleared out the cabinet contents, and i'm wondering if I could make a collapsible router table which would fit with the router in there. I'll have a measure up, otherwise it is going to have to be something which lives in the loft and only comes out for special 1/2" routering occasions!

Yes I am absolutely delighted at the price I got it for! The kreg plate seems really good as well and will be great once I find something suitable to mount it in! I think the price to buy it new (£70) seems a bit steep though. I'm currently thinking whether I could adapt the door of my bandsaw cabinet to swing upwards on hinges and also be a router table.... Food for thought!
Your idea using the bandsaw door could work but it would presumably create other problems with stability and dust from the saw when it's folded away.

I'm currently thinking of either a fold away bench with hinged legs which would just require removing the fence and lifting it up to fold flat against the wall, it would leave the router sticking out at around head height but I would get the floor space back.
My other option is to mount it in the conventional manner in the top of my existing work bench and replace it with a blank to fill the cut out when it's not in use.

Right now I can't do find the time to do anything for myself, such is life I guess.

I will share any ideas and drawings when I get the time, good luck and keep in touch.

I had it, made a table, mounted it with the kreg plate. Seemed pretty good. The winder for the up/down mechanism was flimsy I remember.

Sold it in the end because I decided I preferred hand tools and like having fingers. But if I wanted a router for a table I’d get it again.

Back