Bandsaw Servicing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanutcoxy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Record BS350 bandsaw and I’ve been trying to fettle it for months now to be accurate with little success. I’ve followed various YouTube videos and copious threads and forums but I’m getting nowhere. Does anyone know where I can get it properly serviced and set up. Graham

I doubt whether you would be able to find anyone to 'service' it unless it's an electrical problem. If you can outline the problems you've got there are plenty of members here who can advise.
Brian

The other option of course...which would no doubt be the expensive one! Is contact Record and ask them if they do it or can recommend someone but as Brian says the folks here often give knowledgeable help...

Padster

I think that transporting a big bandsaw for 'servicing' might in itself vibrate/knock out any fine adjustments.
It sounds like what you really need is a workshop visit from someone who can set it up and explain to you how keep it in good adjustment. Try Record themselves and see what they recommend.

It's often repeated advice, but starting with a new Tuff Saw's blade and working through the famous Alex Snodgrass video will usually get you to a good set up.

Tram the wheels
[IMG alt="Click image for larger version

Name: Screenshot from SAM_7821.MP4 - 2.png
Views: 70
Size: 712.5 KB
ID: 1394643"]https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/filedata/fetch?id=1394643&d=1697051323&type=medium[/IMG]

Might need to work them, and not sure how much you'd need to on 350mm wheels,
on 24" wheels, that's 0.2mm.
Make the file handle thick enough, i.e impossible to turn upside down,
might need finish off with a finer file to eliminate ridges from draw filing.
[IMG alt="Click image for larger version

Name: SAM_7790.jpg
Views: 69
Size: 2.44 MB
ID: 1394644"]https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/filedata/fetch?id=1394644&d=1697051828&type=medium[/IMG]

Length of timber to fit within chassis, needs to be wide enough to traverse w/beam across the timbers width 92mm in this case,
whilst also thick enough to clear the chassis waist .
SAM_7270.JPG

How did I find out the tolerance in which the face of wheels needed to be?
This is how, and is what a 0.5mm discrepancy will show up.
That's about 4mm difference, dependent on where on the wheel the scribing beam is registered off.
That's some food for thought regarding the tires.
SAM_7208.JPG

Suitable width blade, max 3/4" on my saw, so likely 1/2" would be good,
as you don't want to scuff the timber.
SAM_7975-04.jpeg

Using a PEN for the job, you should be able to get a trustworthy datum line
of the non-adjustable upper wheel.

SAM_7975-03.jpeg

Once the upper wheel datum line is scribed, then you can adjust lower wheel and motor to suit...
The latter will likely take some head scratching, cuz it'll be a flange mounted motor,
and not a foot mounted motor like on some Italian machines like on some, but not all Centauro
CO series.

One axis of the motor aligned..
you might find you can't balance the timber using the first bit o'timber suggested,
and need to find something which, again, to fit within chassis
Might need to lower the motor down also, and tighten up again
(being careful not to cinch the alloy too much)

Screenshot from SAM_7251.MP4.png

I used an old bearing I had, as the shaft is protruding from the pulley.
Anything would work there.
SAM_7966.JPG

Coplanar axis,

SAM_7961-01.jpeg

So with motor aligned to the upper wheel datum,
now you can align the lower wheel.
A north, or a south jacking screw will need to be loosened to adjust an east or a west.
and likewise, a east or a west will need loosening to adjust north or south.

Not loosening one will pinch and mar the shaft.
Those "set" bolts will be painted on some manufacturers saws,
to denote not to move them ever.

Get your lower wheel *truly, co-planar before going near east/west.
SAM_7863.JPG

Timber registered on both sides of the wheel, trial and error, with some short strips
as seen above when using the beam to highlight the error.

Screenshot from SAM_7975.MP4.png

Could also level yer machine beforehand and check the wheels are infact adjusted plumb.

All the best
Tom

Couldn't fit all the pictures into first post, here's one from the link

Mark where you can hear it
Screenshot from SAM_7821.MP4 - 2.png

Draw filing leaves ridges
SAM_7790.JPG

Could level the saw to find out if yer wheels are plumb
SAM_4964.JPG

SAM_4977.JPG

That's about it.
All the best

Tom

Thank you all so much for your advice. I’ll contact RP to see what they recommend. I suspect I’ll be on here again shortly asking specific advice

Thank you all so much for your advice. I’ll contact RP to see what they recommend. I suspect I’ll be on here again shortly asking specific advice
I do hope they look at this post, going the extra mile in guaranteeing a great running machine
would surely tie in with their new venture.
Those guys look up to the job if you ask me.

All the best
Tom
Screenshot-2023-10-17 Record Power joins Made in Britain(1).png

Screenshot-2023-10-17 Record Power joins Made in Britain.png

Back