Angle drill, huh? What is it good for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed Lidl are doing an angle drill, and looking at it, it's quite bulky in the hand. I'm struggling to see how it's an advantage. Wouldn't an extra long bit holder in the chuck work better for inserting it into tight spaces? Anyone used an angle drill (of any make/brand) and likes it?
I've used many and when they are needed, nothing else works as well. An angled adaptor will work sometimes but if you need to apply any power to speak of, you need that type of drill. That one does appear to have a big chuck. I like the smaller ones.

thanks to Pallet Fancier & Phil Pascoe I now know the discs are available in 50mm & 75mm sizes and having these measurements it's easy to source the backing pads & shanks that will fit

If you are doing a lot of work everything lasts much longer if you keep one grit to one backing disc on one arbor.

Nice sets but most cost more than I paid for the drill and it's just for DIY currently restoring a clock that needs a small piece of wood sanding to shape next is a 50's wooden model boat that may need the hull sealing and sanding as the planks can shrink.

Attachments

• 1100114990.jpg
    1100114990.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 10
I have a "right angle" attachment that fits my usual drills for the times I need a tight access (admittedly not often) - it works fine once you get the hang of using it (I think it was about £7 from Amazon) . I considered the Lidl gadget but it's a bare unit and you need to buy battery and charger . . and then have another battery platform.
Cheapest now @ Amazon £14- £40

They are very useful in tight spaces. I bought the Milwaukee version of adapter, called a Shockwave I think. A great piece of kit and surprisingly modestly priced (for Milwaukee) at about £17.

I haven't bought many tools from LIDL but I did purchase two right-angled 'Parkside' attachments for my cordless drills. One is for drilling and the other for screwdriving and you never realise how useful they are and how often you will find a use for them until you own one.

They make life so much easier when working in quite confined spaces, particularly the screwdriver attachment as well the drill attachment for drilling pilot holes etc in awkward to get into places.

I bought them about 5 years ago and they're still going strong and I've used them numerous times during the construction of my good sized dual purpose storage shed/potting shed and I also built a decent sized cation built onto my house and again they came in very useful indeed.

It's a bit like owning one of those hexagonal screwdriver bit extenders with a 20 degree pivoting tip. Very useful if you can't quite get square on to a screw for either tightening or removing.
I find that although such tools may not get used often, when they are then they usually pay for themselves.

Back