Angle drill, huh? What is it good for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pallet Fancier

Established Member
Reaction score
I noticed Lidl are doing an angle drill, and looking at it, it's quite bulky in the hand. I'm struggling to see how it's an advantage. Wouldn't an extra long bit holder in the chuck work better for inserting it into tight spaces? Anyone used an angle drill (of any make/brand) and likes it?

Attachments

• angle drill.jpg
    angle drill.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 54
Where I come from all the houses are made of timber stud. Once the carpenter has all the walls up and the roof on the electricians come round for a couple of days with their drills and run the wiring between the studs and joists. They use a lot of angle drills for the reasons stated immediately above.

It means you can fit a longer drill bit in a shorter space. Ideal for plumbers trying to get pipes through joists and stuff.

I bought a Bosch 10 years ago when I was fitting a lot of kitchens, invaluable for getting into a 300mm cupboard unit and many other places. Mine is fixed head, single speed and only 7.2v battery but the latter lasts a very long time. Retired now but I wouldn't part with it

Use a makita cordless, mainly for sanding bowls on my lathe, easier than normal drill. Used it a few times screwing in narrow spaces and great at that, you'll only realise you need one when you come across narrow gaps. Tried a right angle drill attachment, way too fiddly and awkward.

I was using my cheap import 90º 3/8" air drill today to drill holes and drive screws because my electric drill driver was too long to fit in the space available. Used it extensively building my decks for the same. The space between 2 x12 joists, 12" on centres was too tight for the drill driver to drive the screws in for the blocking so the air drill got the job.

Pete

I noticed Lidl are doing an angle drill, and looking at it, it's quite bulky in the hand. I'm struggling to see how it's an advantage. Wouldn't an extra long bit holder in the chuck work better for inserting it into tight spaces? Anyone used an angle drill (of any make/brand) and likes it?
I reasonably frequently use the Festool CXS and the right angle depth is a lot less than the one above

There have been times when I would have loved to have had an angle drill to get in a tight space so last month bid and won a DeWalt from a Hospice ebay auction, looks like it's never been used and batteries charged OK and drilled a few holes in some scrap timber.
Now drilling downwards it felt very odd as you are supporting the weight ( and it is heavy ) rather than the weight being on the chuck and immediately thought it would be great for using with wire brushes and sanding pads but I only have mini Dremel or large angle grinder ones did a quick search for sets of pads and brushes of suitable size but none found so grateful for any suggestions of suppliers.
s-l1600 (6).jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600 (6).jpg
    s-l1600 (6).jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 11
I reasonably frequently use the Festool CXS and the right angle depth is a lot less than the one above
I have the Festool CXS and when I bought it about 6 years ago it came with the angle attachment- don’t know if it still does. This has proved invaluable for so many jobs, and the drill/driver itself is a fantastic piece of kit and for Festool reasonably priced.

I have a "right angle" attachment that fits my usual drills for the times I need a tight access (admittedly not often) - it works fine once you get the hang of using it (I think it was about £7 from Amazon) . I considered the Lidl gadget but it's a bare unit and you need to buy battery and charger . . and then have another battery platform.

It’s a case of..”It’ll come in useful one day”….As mentioned earlier, good for getting in armward places etc…Ive had a Dewalt 240v one for years, and it has come in useful on many occasions.

I bought the Ryobi drill and right angle drill deal in the early 2000's. Both are still going strong. I also mainly use the right-angle drill in bowl turning but it has definitely come in handy several times when drilling and inserting screws in tight spots.

I have the Festool CXS and when I bought it about 6 years ago it came with the angle attachment- don’t know if it still does. This has proved invaluable for so many jobs, and the drill/driver itself is a fantastic piece of kit and for Festool reasonably priced.
It depend, if you get the set version yes it does

Buy Abranet, Cubitron or at least Klingspor, Sait or similar. Don't buy cheap ones, you'll get what you've paid for.
Cubitron has exceptionally good write ups - I've not used it - but I use Abranet or Klingspor when I know it's going to clog quickly anyway, it's cheaper to throw away.

Back