You know the world is moving fast when....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I am amazed. I wonder if they will stick to it - surely keep the app up to date with the latest devices is more effort than keep the website running.
Not really.

There are only two main players - Android and iOS (the third - Fire OS - is a subset of one of those). They don't need to keep it up to date with devices, just with the OS, and those don't change all that often, only a few times a year.

Not really.

There are only two main players - Android and iOS (the third - Fire OS - is a subset of one of those). They don't need to keep it up to date with devices, just with the OS, and those don't change all that often, only a few times a year.

I find it easier to manage our website than our apps, but we're not a bank.

I would be very dissatisfied if this were my provider, too many people try and do too much on their phones. Most would be better off with a phone half as powerful and a pc at home.

I laugh when (often young people) automatically assume you're on / use full time a recent smart phone.

Yeah but why don't you at least have a functioning smart phone? My mother even manages it and her 80yr old friend too.

42" here. Smashing for vids and gaming

I could not fit the three screens of that size onto my desk. I am feeling deprived :)

As for mobile banking apps I trust the secrutiy on my PCs much more than on my phone. So far I have never installed a banking app on it.

AQ

If it's Virgin Bank that's being referred to, I first received notice of this three months ago. I'm fine with the app. The fingerprint login is very convenient. I can't remember the last time I used the website. (I'm no spring chicken either - I'm 70.)

Which bit of Virgin bank is it? I have a virgin current account and virgin savings accounts, they are completely separate businesses it seems, I can't access both part on the same website.

Very clear choice on my part. Seeing others wandering the streets oblivious of all but their phones,
I want no part of it.

That's a very odd choice to make though. You clearly own a computer, plenty of people are obsessed with their computers and can't look away from them, that doesn't stop you owning a computer and making use of it's functionality.

I also want no part of being a phone obsessed person, but I still own a smart phone and make excellent use of it's features everyday. A smart phone is just another tool I own.

Yeah but why don't you at least have a functioning smart phone? My mother even manages it and her 80yr old friend too.
Probably like me he doesn't really need one and doesn't want to pay dearly for something he doesn't want or really need?

Another tool? Yes. But as much use to me as a marlinspike and a fid.

It
Which bit of Virgin bank is it? I have a virgin current account and virgin savings accounts, they are completely separate businesses it seems, I can't access both part on the same website.
It's only the credit card side so far, I also have savings accounts with Virgin Money and they aren't affected yet, if they do then I'll move my savings elsewhere.

The Virgin credit card has been my main card for a long time and I'm now deciding whether to switch those on to my Barclaycard and dump the Virgin one. I've had a series of iphones for many years but do my banking on line and have no intention of switching that to an app on my 'phone.

I see it this way - if I have credentials that open access to my banking via a web browser, then anyone in the world with a web browser can access it. If it's only available on a smartphone, then they have to have my phone in front of them. Most banking apps don't allow multiple installs either, so trying to replicate your login details wouldn't work, and it requires you to receive a code on your phone anyway.

It is essentially much much more secure in terms of access in my eyes. Is iOS secure? Well Apple seem to be pretty hot at keeping it that way. I trust it a lot more than I would windows - I don't have to have malware, spyware, browser blocking software running 24/7 on my phone.

I run my entire life off my phone: 100% of my finances, messaging and email, bus times, doctor appointments and prescriptions, social media, university work, calendar, order food and groceries, couple of clicks to get stuff from Amazon or Ebay, hold my phone up to the sky to check what the aircraft flying overhead is, get a G&T straight to my table, order a cab, monitor my weight/blood pressure/heart rate/blood alcohol level/blood oxygen level/hearing/toothbrushing, it holds my bus pass and my loyalty cards, stores my boarding passes and train tickets, accesses my entire music library, it can tell me what song is playing on the radio or in a bar, assists me with meditation, check the football scores, place a bet on a match, book a class at the gym, and even phone people. I never phone people though.

All that in something that fits in the palm of my hand. I do often wonder how people cope without them.

The government and HMRC are the big benefactors from a cashless society, once all transactions are credit/debit card, bank transfers and other electronic means they are in control and have even more data about us and could manipulate the markets.

Probably like me he doesn't really need one and doesn't want to pay dearly for something he doesn't want or really need?

Another tool? Yes. But as much use to me as a marlinspike and a fid.

Fair enough, but have you tried one? My mother didn't want one, now she loves it and finds it incredibly useful.

It

It's only the credit card side so far, I also have savings accounts with Virgin Money and they aren't affected yet, if they do then I'll move my savings elsewhere.

The Virgin credit card has been my main card for a long time and I'm now deciding whether to switch those on to my Barclaycard and dump the Virgin one. I've had a series of iphones for many years but do my banking on line and have no intention of switching that to an app on my 'phone.

Ok thanks, I don't have a Virgin Credit card.

I'd first need to find a problem I don't know I have that one would solve. My phone bill is about £3 a year.

I would say my mother doesn't spend an awful lot more than that, certainly under a fiver a year. Smart phones only cost money if you make a call or send a text, just like a normal mobile phone. Using wifi you can do almost everything on there including making free calls through apps like whatsapp. She sends messages (free), checks the weather, does her banking, looks up information, books restaurants (when you can lol), takes photos and videos of the grandchildren to share with her friends, uses loyalty apps when shopping for money off etc and uses the GPS feature to navigate sometimes as well (also free).

Back