You know the world is moving fast when....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billw

The Tattooed One
Reaction score
One of my credit cards just announced they're stopping the management of their cards using a web browser and the only way will be through a smartphone app.

Fine for me, but I can see this becoming a trend that is going to cause a lot of issues.

Some are going that way........
I think that Santander are that way inclined which cheesed me off as I was a shareholder at the time

............. the one thing that I lack in this part of the world is a mobile signal, so it wouldn't suit me.

It's understandable, it's much easier for them to ensure that their app is operating within a secure environment on android/ios than it is on windows.

I don't like using my phone for the internet, just too small. Entering passwords is really awkward, trying to correct errors is awkward, most mistakes are from the predictive entry and spell checker. If these phones are so smart, why doesn't it know what I'm thinking?. I never use my phone for any financial transaction, I prefer Windows where I can control the security.

Banks were going to junk the use of cheques a couple of years ago. After it was pointed out to them that they were basically denying a service to people without mobile phones or internet access (still a few million people in the UK), they relented. Cheque services became noticably quicker and more streamlined, too.

An app-only card would be no use to me. I'd be asking my bank for a card that worked over the web if they changed the rules on mine - I still don't have a mobile phone, and don't really want one. If the bank still wants my business (and the business of people like me) it will have to provide services that suit me and others like me.

Hard for them, maybe, but the more advanced technology gets, the more complicated life will get for all sorts of businesses - there will always be some customers wanting the latest tech, some who tag along a bit later, and some who doggedly stick to the old tried-and-trusted ways, and working out how to serve each, or whether they want to, will be part of managing each business.

Are you referring to the company started by a certain Mr Branson? I've been seriously considering dumping my credit card because of that as I prefer using my laptop and given the issues I've had lately with my iphone causing a major fall out with Apple I'm even more inclined not to download the app..

I find it easier to use apps for a fair bit of my banking but still need website use for some features. The apps are particularly handy for quick checks of balance, credit card purchases etc.

Given that we can still use cheques as described above, and physical cash, I find it very hard to believe they would shutdown website access!

Given that we can still use cheques as described above, and physical cash, I find it very hard to believe they would shutdown website access!

I genuinely couldn't tell you the last time I paid cash for anything! There's a cheque for £1.53 sitting on my desk, but the cost (time and effort) of paying it in is too much.

I like to keep a bit of cash as an emergency, if my card bounces or the machine at a shop fails, its the only realistic fallback option. I agree cheques are a pain to receive, my bank doesn't have physical branches so I have no idea what I should do if I receive a cheque.

Well I am amazed. I wonder if they will stick to it - surely keep the app up to date with the latest devices is more effort than keep the website running.

I genuinely couldn't tell you the last time I paid cash for anything! There's a cheque for £1.53 sitting on my desk, but the cost (time and effort) of paying it in is too much.
some banks have a cheque scanner on their mobile app now (e.g. Halifax) and it works really well, money is credited instantly. Not much use without a smart phone and signal though.

some banks have a cheque scanner on their mobile app now (e.g. Halifax) and it works really well, money is credited instantly. Not much use without a smart phone and signal though.

Just checked mine and no such luck :(

It's understandable, it's much easier for them to ensure that their app is operating within a secure environment on android/ios than it is on windows.
Is client side security their concern though?
I doubt it is this, I think it’s more likely to be streamlining their tech to not need to maintain both a website and app. Simple economies rather than security. With upcoming recession and anticipated increasing bad debt lending companies are looking to cut costs as far as possible to survive.

I think there's a sprinkle of them liking access to your data, but I could see the app environment significantly cutting back on Delhi scam houses.

Back