Yet another bandsaw question...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roombacurious

Established Member
Reaction score
I've read quite a few of the threads here but I'm still quite confused...
I've been working with wood (usually pine) for the last five years and I have an arsenal of power tools now (though mainly chinese ones). They seem to do the trick for me but I'm starting to get tired with having to set my (portable) table saw up everytime I need to rip small stock (it's usually stored in a corner).

I was thinking to get a cheap, small bandsaw as an alternative to the table saw for small stock. I'm not really interested in cutting curves, I mainly want a tool with a table for ripping (not too keen to use the circular saw anymore either).

I've been looking at bandsaws like the small Clarke one (190mm throat, 80mm thickness, 350w motor). Somehow I'm not convinced that this thing can rip, even with a wider, good blade. I mean, my 1500w tablesaw seems to pant when ripping anything thicker than 50-60mm, how can a 350w motor cope with up to 80mm stock?

What sort of capabilities should I expect from the most basic of bandsaws? I'm afraid I can't afford to lose any more shop space (it's already packed with stuff!) so it will have to either be a bench one or none at all...

Thanks for your help!

welcome to the forum roombacurious. I'll wade in with that classic piece of valid advice... "You get what you pay for". In my recent research into bandsaws, I have learned that the budget machines can be underpowered for most work, inaccurate and even dangerous. Somone with more experience will be along in a moment, but for now i'll say that if you can squeeze a little more out of your budget, you will be rewarded.

I bought a very similar machine to cut mainly Oak at around 80mm.

I went to a very well known company and discussed this with their advice line, was assured that this would be just right for me and bought it.

This was not a good move it takes hours to cut (honest), Deep cuts and small motor seem to be a big no no.

I have given up with it and my new saw, a Record BS500 should be with me very soon.

Wot the others said really. a 350 watt motor is not going to do what you want.

Bandsaw footprints vary a lot for given capacities (throat, depth of cut etc) and it pays to look around. Quite a small footprint will get you a very good bandsaw so don't underestimate the chances of getting it in your shop. They can also be easily moved with the aid of a mobile base.

Mine works very well up to 25mm and seems to love 18mm ply, but see below I have now been successful with 50mm although have not used it enough with the new blades to sure that this is now the "standard" capacity

I must thank everyone that has recommended Dure-Edge what a great company. fantastic advice and the blades! well I have got a completely new machine although still not good enough to cut the depths I need to cut. It appears that their blades are enabling me to cut about 2 times the depth than the machine suppliers blades will cut normally by this I mean without constant stalling etc.

Latest posts

Back