Starter table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyP

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for my first table saw. I initially bought a second hand Scheppach HS100S which I did get cheap but the motor has gone, obviously too good to be true! To replace the motor will cost £150 and I'm debating whether it is better to invest this in a higher quality second hand machine.
Has anyone any suggestions?
Things I want to use it for are ripping small sheets of plywood (say half sheet).
Rebates for drawers etc.
Nothing too heavy duty and mainly softwood.
All advice greatfully received.

Last edited:
You need to provide more info as there is a wide range of table saws and knowing what you wish to do is helpful in getting the right answers.

You need to provide more info as there is a wide range of table saws and knowing what you wish to do is helpful in getting the right answers.
Spectric, thanks for the reply. I've added a little more detail to the original post but mostly light work on softwoods and plywood sheet etc. I suppose the honest answer going forward is I don't know until I start using one.
I have a track saw and a good mitre saw so it is to fill any shortfall from these.
Hope this makes more sense.

You do not mention a budget. I would be looking for something small, 250mm blade, but with a cast iron or aluminium table. I would start my search with Startrite and Scheppach.

Colin

Pretty poor same as the other box saws tbh.

Imho there are 4 types of saw

1) box saws like the ha100s, titan etc. Noisy motors. £50 (used)

2) site saws like Bosch Makita DeWalt still noisy but more refined fences etc. £200+

3) big site saws like hs130, 300mm saws, steel top, quiet induction motors £100

4) workshop saws cast iron tops, induction motors, wings, sliding carriages etc. £200+

It all depends on what you need?

You do not mention a budget. I would be looking for something small, 250mm blade, but with a cast iron or aluminium table. I would start my search with Startrite and Scheppach.

Colin
The replacement motor for the HS100S is £150, so about this price, give or take.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks for your comments, they've been most helpful, the spec I'm looking for is as follows.
Budget up to £150.

Blade diameter 200 or 250mm.

Table size up to roughly 500mm square. Stand not essential, I will store under the bench and take out when I need it, either on the bench or some sort of fold out support for small items. I don't have space to set up permanently.

Fairly portable, I have a covered outdoor work area where I would set up for larger stuff using tressles for support.

Thanks.

Where about are you.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/power-saw...w-240v-50hz-variable-speed-5000rpm/1449102676
This looks a good saw, there was a guy on here who reviewed it. I think it got pulled as its too much like the DeWalt....
I have one of these (paid £200 I think), and I get on really well with it. It's a site saw and that has to be acknowledged so it isn't as sturdy as a cast iron machine, but it works great and I use it for everything from intricate work to sheet good stuff. The mitre gauge it comes with is a bit rubbish.

I have a tiny workshop so have to move it outside to use it - so portability is vital for me.

They don't do them new any more, if mine broke I would get this:

https://ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Metabo-Ts254M-4061792180352-240V-254Mm-Table-Saw
If you want a referall discount code which takes 10% off you can use this Get 10% off at FFX

(also gives me a 10% off voucher)

Things I want to use it for are ripping small sheets of plywood (say half sheet).
Rebates for drawers etc.
Cut sheet goods with a track saw.

Rebates for drawers with a router mounted on the track from your track saw.

Can't remember the last time I used by table saw, seems redundant since I bought the Track Saw and bits to fit the router on it.

Cut sheet goods with a track saw.
Yes. Sheets, even half sheets, can be hard to handle on a not-very-big table saw (speaking from experience here). Track saw (or circular saw with guide) and seam cheap foam under neath is easier.

Rebates for drawers with a router mounted on the track from your track saw.
Maybe - certainly possible

I use my table saw a lot. I prefer it for ripping to width (as against track saw) and I often use it for crosscuts if it's already up and ready (stored on a folding stand when not in use).

how do you know the motor is "toast" or just needs a new starting capacitor?
There's a segment missing from the commutator unfortunately.

Attachments

• IMG_20230617_120007.jpg
    IMG_20230617_120007.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
MikeJhn and Not -Entirely-Useless.
For one off cuts the track saw is fine, I was thinking the table saw would need less setting up for multiple pieces of the same size that are outside the mitre saw capability.
I have a home made router table but thought the table saw may be a bit quicker and better for dust extraction for rebates etc.
I have thought about making a table with a adjustable mounting for the track saw rail to make repeat cuts easier, something like this

Last edited:
Back