Yet another Bandsaw thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halyon881

Reaction score
Hi,
I am in the market for a small bandsaw for my pokey workshop. Currently, I have an Aldi jobby that is way too rough, and the table is just folded sheet metal. It would be using it as an aid to mostly handtool work. Doing the donkey work on long rips cuts and any repetitive stuff etc. I don't see myself getting into veneering, so a 10" one would have enough capacity. Plunge saw can do sheet goods.
Thing is I live in the far south of Ireland, and the used market is rubbish. It's mostly 3 phase machines or really overpriced ones compared to the UK. I also only have a hatchback, so transporting a big machine is a headache. Buying anything from the UK is prohibitively expensive with delivery and customs. Budget is €500 max.
I have my eye on this one, which is within driving distance so I could inspect, and will deliver for free if it won't fit in the car.
Charnwood BS410 10'' Woodworking Bandsaw

Anyone have experience with this one? Or would I be better getting a Record one for €100 more
RP Sabre 250 Bandsaw 230V - W.H. Raitt
Obviously new blades would be fitted and I would need to fettle everything.

What ever saw you purchase look ahead and think will it be big enough in the future if my needs change, the difference in footprint between a floor standing machine and one on a base is negligable. Also for some reason the manufacturers don't make " A saw " in different sizes but make different saws each with a particular size so they think certain features are only needed on larger saws. Also once you get the saw change the OEM blades to decent blades, I use the ones from Tuffsaws and it changed my BS400 into a decent usable saw.

Thanks Roy. I plan on having it under the table when not in use. So something weighting 40Kg is probably out. My workshop is our garden shed as well. Floor space is an issue. I bought Tuffsaws blades before for the Aldi one and they made a big difference. The crappy table on it is a limitation though.

As long as you realize these budget bandsaws are both only about a 1/2 hp in output so you will be very limited in what they can do. You will struggle to cut hardwoods over 2" in thickness .Their main value is that they allow you to cut curved cuts in sheet goods or thin hardwood. There are only a few outlets selling woodworking machinery in the Republic - in fact I bought my Hammer bandsaw from a Cork outlet and delivery was free. If you could 'up' your budget a little you will get a better bandsaw from the Carpentry Store in Naas who carry the Axminster range and I'm sure they would arrange delivery.

I found the Scheppach Basa 1 to be quite good, and easy enough to move, I had it in a corner when not in use. It should be readily available in Ireland but it is small. Much better than the Parkside. There are probably larger Scheppach models that would fall within your budget. I got mine at Lidl for next to nothing. I could cut 70-80mm chestnut at a push, with Tuffsaws blades. You will still be fairly limited with such a small saw.

As long as you realize these budget bandsaws are both only about a 1/2 hp in output so you will be very limited in what they can do. You will struggle to cut hardwoods over 2" in thickness .Their main value is that they allow you to cut curved cuts in sheet goods or thin hardwood. There are only a few outlets selling woodworking machinery in the Republic - in fact I bought my Hammer bandsaw from a Cork outlet and delivery was free. If you could 'up' your budget a little you will get a better bandsaw from the Carpentry Store in Naas who carry the Axminster range and I'm sure they would arrange delivery.
Thanks, I will look at the Axminster. Might mean saving for another few months.

I found the Scheppach Basa 1 to be quite good, and easy enough to move, I had it in a corner when not in use. It should be readily available in Ireland but it is small. Much better than the Parkside. There are probably larger Scheppach models that would fall within your budget. I got mine at Lidl for next to nothing. I could cut 70-80mm chestnut at a push, with Tuffsaws blades. You will still be fairly limited with such a small saw.
Thanks .The Basa is a little small. The 300w motor seems like a big limitation.

As long as you realize these budget bandsaws are both only about a 1/2 hp in output so you will be very limited in what they can do. You will struggle to cut hardwoods over 2" in thickness .
Sorry I'm going to have to question that one.
My small RP BS250(older blue paint) is 350w which is about 1/2hp(just under in fact at 0.47)
It was fine cutting 5" of hard maple. I used a 3tpi rip blade which was new and got a fairly good feed rate. It did not struggle in the slightest.
I'd also say that was after I'd had the saw in use for about 15 years.

@Halyon881
The sabre 250 has an increased motor power 3/4hp,compared to 1/2hp on the standard bs250 ,has 2 blade speeds.Cam action tensioner,Looks to have a slightly better fence too.
Sounds Ideal for you.
OK is 35kg, but you aren't really going to get one with a cast table, decent power and build that isnt about that weight.
Seems the current 'deal' on the sabre is 3 free blades, and while not the best blades will get you started and give you options.
https://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/sabre-250-bandsaw-230v-uk-and-european-lead-included

Last edited:
Sorry I'm going to have to question that one.
My small RP BS250(older blue paint) is 350w which is about 1/2hp(just under in fact at 0.47)
It was fine cutting 5" of hard maple. I used a 3tpi rip blade which was new and got a fairly good feed rate. It did not struggle in the slightest.
Bandsaws are very blade dependent so you will certainly get a decent rip capacity out of a 3 TPI blade. In practice I find my small bandsaw is most useful for trimming small bits and pieces like exotic woods and veneers that I don't want to waste. I keep a 14 TPI blade in it and that will certainly struggle with 3" maple. ! I keep a 3 TPI blade in my Hammer N4400 for serious ripping and re-sawing.

Bandsaws are very blade dependent
Bandsaws may be the safest saw in your workshop but they can be a real pain to setup and get working properly, so many variables that can make such a difference and it would be much better if they had a decent accurate blade tension meter fitted rather than the hit and miss afterthoughts we get.

Bandsaws may be the safest saw in your workshop but they can be a real pain to setup and get working properly, so many variables that can make such a difference and it would be much better if they had a decent accurate blade tension meter fitted rather than the hit and miss afterthoughts we get.
I have Bird's Bandsaw book and have watched Alex Snodgrass's video. Still made no difference to the Aldi one. I think the wheel isn't balanced properly. The vibrations were walking it across my bench. May be just a dud.
Thanks for the suggestions all. I can get a Record power BS250 from a place in Donegal for decent money.

I don't agree that the market for second hand saws here is rubbish (I'm in Waterford btw) - there are plenty of good machines appearing on a regular basis on both adverts.ie and donedeal, I know as I've been keeping an eye on the market lately as I'm contemplating a down/side grade from my Sabre 350 due to space issues.
I regularly see older Startrite models (there's at least two 352's on donedeal as I type), Elektra Beckum models and occasionally a Record Power that I'd be happy enough buying. There are a crowd based in Laois that do ex-school stuff and they're very pleasant to deal with also - and they have a revolving door of stock. My advice would be up your budget a touch, don't be afraid to tell people they're eejits for asking 2k for a saw you can buy new for 1100 and I'm sure that something worth having will crop up before too long.

I know as I've been keeping an eye on the market lately as I'm contemplating a down/side grade from my Sabre 350 due to space issues.

If I were in that position, I'd consider making up some sort of swinging trunnion to tilt the table in the other orientation.
Might involve a bit of welding, but ya did mention you were a lil' tight on space.

Kinda surprising no manufacturer hasn't done this, or at least an add on, they could make you cough up for a eye bolt and chain for safety whilst they were at it.

If I were in that position, I'd consider making up some sort of swinging trunnion to tilt the table in the other orientation.
Might involve a bit of welding, but ya did mention you were a lil' tight on space.

Kinda surprising no manufacturer hasn't done this, or at least an add on, they could make you cough up for an eye bolt and chain for safety whilst they were at it.
I’m not entirely clear how tilting the table in the other orientation reduces the overall footprint of the machine if I’m being perfectly honest!
Tempting to swing the thing from the rafters with an eye bolt and chain hoist when not in use but as the ceilings in the workshop are only 8’ to the top of the apex, I’m not sure that advances me much either 🤣

To be fair, I’ve only just moved the bandsaw into my new workshop in the last day or two, just to see if and how it might fit, before I make any final decision about flogging it or not.

I’m not entirely clear how tilting the table in the other orientation reduces the overall footprint of the machine if I’m being perfectly honest!
Makes a big difference on many's a machine, perhaps not as notable with yours, since RP's 350 has evidently gone through some changes through the years, member Tibi mentioned his table is larger than specified.

Even with the more compact table designs, I'd still bet you'd loose enough space to make placing the front of the machine against the wall, not an option.

Just to emphasize how much space a floor standing compact 20" machine takes up,
compared to something on stilts with a large table.

Getting the trunnion to slide towards the column would take some head scratching :)
Checking for coplanar .jpg
EB 315.JPG

I reckon you'd be asking for trouble going smaller really.

Regards
Tom

I'm with you now, it's the overall footprint I have issue with, rather than table size. To my eye, the saw on stilts looks like it's taking up less room than the compact machine but it's only a visual anomaly. There's an EB 315 much like the photo for sale not a million miles away from me, which I'm tempted to have a look at.

Terrible machine compared to the RP 350 though, pretty much every part is very badly designed, not only that but also with pants materials, and no smaller either.
Give me cast iron wheels any day, over zinc cheese, even if it had issues, lol.

Unless in very frequent use - put it on castors, park it in the corner until needed.

It only needs to be centre of workshop and greedy for space to accommodate long pieces of stock.
Yea, I've been playing with it all day in terms of moving it around, it's already on castors thankfully. Not helped by my uneven floor but that's another issue altogether. I've windows on three sides with some rather fine views which is making things slightly problematic, the one wall that has no windows already houses my Sedgwick TA315. After much fiddling today, I've all but sold myself on a smaller machine (maybe the Sabre 250) but I'm still second guessing myself. I'll continue to do so for a while, procrastination and I are great old friends.

Terrible machine compared to the RP 350 though, pretty much every part is very badly designed, not only that but also with pants materials, and no smaller either.
Give me cast iron wheels any day, over zinc cheese, even if it had issues, lol.
I drove down earlier and looked. Just about fit for turning into coke tins.

Back