Workshop break in

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Roger,
I never bothered the second time as the first time they did the 'not covered on your house policy, should have added extra cover for that doncha know'. Always late with this type of advice aren't they??
As I say, it was only a month or so after & my policy was still running, needless to say, I changed insurers when the due date came up. I specifically asked about workshop cover & was told it would be covered but I'm not 100% certain any of them are adequate, & you can't rid yourself of that 'I wonder when the'll come back' feeling.

Thing is, I don't rely on this to make my living as others do. It's been pointed out already about ruining people's method of making income, I fully agree this should be punished VERY harshly. My idea of prison is that if they make it so bad to be in there you won't get many 'career' criminals in there thereby reducing the numbers. If they riot & smash t.v's, toilets & the like then that is obviously how they want it so let them live with it.

Good grief!!!!! I'd gone well into rant mode there! :evil: (waits for red mist to clear so as to view keyboard properly). :lol:

I'll vote for any party that promises to sort these people out once & for all.

Cheers, Sliver. :)

sliver":1pzk454e said:
Hi Roger,
I never bothered the second time as the first time they did the 'not covered on your house policy, should have added extra cover for that doncha know'.

That's interesting...do you remember whether it was a case of specifically excluding items outside the home as worded in the policy or whether it was their assumption ? I checked our policy a while ago and it did include outbuilding contents with no upper limit. Not so worried about theft ...more about fire or the RAF 'taking it out' :wink: :lol:

Totally agree with you re punishment etc. This country lost the plot years ago IMHO.

Hi Dave,
Just like to add my sympathy to all the others. (Sorry my 'puter's been down for a week so couldn't read your post before)

As people have said, they may well have another go. In my workshop the power leads are always live, I can't see any reason not to...... so I do. I suppose there's some legal reason in UK why you shouldn't but after what you've been through you might just 'forget' one (every) night to switch off at the fuse box :wink:

Losos":329p5ptn said:
In my workshop the power leads are always live, I can't see any reason not to...... so I do. I suppose there's some legal reason in UK why you shouldn't

I think that somewhere in our cock-a-mamy legal system there is a law against 'setting a mantrap in a public place'. The fact that they have to break in first is beside the point as far as our daft legal system is concerned.

One way around this is to do what a friend of mine did when he worked for a record (LP) distributor. Plagued by break-ins they wanted to leave roaming around free inside the warehouse some Dobermanns. They were told that they weren't allowed to do that as if a burglar broke in and got bitten (poor little diddums) then they would be for the high jump. However, dogs are allowed to roam free in their kennels which is why they stuck up a huge sign saying 'Dog Kennel' and let the Dobermanns run free inside :D No more break-ins :lol:

Hello again Roger...Sorry Dave, not trying to hi-jack your thread..Honest. :) I can't remember what the policy terms were now Roger as it is a few years ago now, in fact my wife reminded me that they DID pay up in the end......75 quid........for about £400 worth of goods. My memory worries me sometimes. :shock: At the time I was incensed, :evil: so why I forgot a 'minor' detail like them actually paying out, opinions & guesses welcome. I think that I have got mixed up in my head with a story amongst many that I heard at the time as I was telling everyone who would listen. You know how you get 'That's like what happened to me you know' stories. After time they get muddled in my head & I convince myself the truth is in there somewhere. I wouldn't make a good liar, sorry if I misled you. :oops: I now remember ripping the cheque to bits, preferring nothing as opposed to the insult they offered. My guess is that I didn't have 'new for old' cover, sound about right?
Cheers, Sliver. :)

Roger Sinden":3v0asvei said:
I think that somewhere in our cock-a-mamy legal system there is a law against 'setting a mantrap in a public place'. The fact that they have to break in first is beside the point as far as our daft legal system is concerned.

Yeah nuts huh? And they don't allow one to use missiles to eliminate speeders.

As the the general sentiment is from everybody here then i can only echo whats been said already.

The very sad situation we seem to be in at the moment is that the sick individuals that did this have the upper hand still. I think its a great pity that the criminals now seem to have one up as they can claim that you have a duty of care to protect their welfare even if they choose to break in to your property and carry out such disgusting acts as they have. We really need to try and change this. It seems crazy that the we have to potentially look out for the welfare of somebody climbing over your back wall and threatening either your workplace or more seriosuly your family. Until this balance is redressed we all will be in the situation where we can only take practical steps to deter people.

If anyone breaks into my home and threatens my family, they're leaving in a bag. Simple as that.
A pity I would be considered the 'bad guy' for that. An Englishman's home is his ... what was it again? :evil:

V.

Hi,

Just thought I'd post the fact that I am now up and running after my work shop was trashed. Its taken 9 days from reporting it to the police to getting operational - not bad hey! And I still have a cheque to spend on replacement equipment.

My shop now has increased security with an alarm and I have put in motion CCTV around the house.

Although my friend does not subscribe to this forum at the moment - a BIG thanks for helping me clear all the mess, the bottle of single malt and your support in getting me up and running so quickly.

Thanks for all the support, folks. Now going to spend the weekend working with some nice pippy oak.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,
Great news, just wish it had never been necessary in the first place. A BIG thank you to your friend too for the help.

You know the people you can count on in a crisis don't you ? Now it just needs the police to get lucky with catching the guilty parties....Scum of the earth that they are,(can't write the words I'd like to cos I'd get banned for life you understand) :evil: :twisted:
Hope this hasn't knocked you back too much mate. Enjoy spending the money on new stuff (but don't get carried away will you? :lol: :lol: ) Yeah right!! :) So now, instead of your usual magic, you know we will now expect miracles doncha?????? :p

ATB Sliver. :wink:

In 1971 I was working overseas with my new partner. I came back to the UK for a few weeks on a course, in the middle of a housing boom. We decided that we needed a mortgage and a house in UK so we bought a small detached house "off plan" in a small development in mid-Essex. As I was working for a UK company, living and working overseas (in Iran at that time) didn't present a problem. The house was completed in November 1971 and I asked my father to check the house and make sure the water was off at the mains. He lived quite a distance away and couldn't make regular visits. We didn't get back until coming to UK for a holiday in April '72.
During the intervening six months the front door (hidden by a porch) was secured simply by a rim latch. It didn't take the local kids long to discover that with the aid of a stick and hand through the letterbox, they could trip the latch and open the door. When we arrived it was clear that someone had used the toilet and of course with no water, couldn't flush it. Otherwise the house was empty, clean and tidy. We only learnt that it had been a youth headquarters when a youngster walked into our living room, not knowing the house was occupied! His behavior was fine and he left immediately. No more problems at all. The neighbors did tell us subsequently that they knew of the situation, and shooed the kits away from time to time, but having no idea who the owner was, there was little more they could do.
This was in 1972. Now, fifty years later and long moved on, I doubt very much that we would be so fortunate. Why not? - I'll leave that to you, but my own theory is not a pleasant reflection on society today.

Back