Workshop break in

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, sorry to hear about the break-in, and thanks for posting it here because it will give the rest of us a little wake up call to assess our own security needs, especially those of us currently building ours.

On another note, if I were in your shoe's and i'm sure I will be at some stage the way my area is going, is to install some motion detecting cctv camera's - make the descreet, this way, when the mindless chavs comeback - and i'm almost certain that will try (sorry to say) then you'll have some firm evidence.

Also, I would think about having a few sharp spare chisels handy - some large mortice ones will do!

Well a quick update.

The insurance assessor has just left and he was really positive about my claim and the speed at which it will be settled. Even though the damage to my machines is to the cables I am entitled to a full replacement under my policy - which is old for new - seems a bit excessive!

He seemed to think I had taken reasonable precautions to secure my workshop, but he was another who suggested home CCTV! Can anyone on here advise how I would go about such an installation and what exactly to look for?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave G, I'm truly sorry to hear about the breakin and share everyones' views.

On the security front I'm wondering whether to resurrect this idea for forum members? I'd need to check on the price of cameras which hopefully should have come down. It's an idea that I kicked off but never really took anywhere :oops:

If anyone is interested then please pm me and I'll do some investigation into current pricing etc

The camera that I have most experience with is this one. It does need either a wireless or network link back to your computer and/or the internet. It can stand alone with just a router out to the internet.

B**** persons depriving others of there means of earning a living should have there hands cut off(and no disability allowance)

Dave.

Just read the thread. Sorry to hear whats happened.

Did you take up the offer to do that blokes table?

Regarding your tools. It might be worth asking your insurance company if you can buy the old tools back. We used to do that with motorbikes.

Also, if I where you, I would write to my MP and complain about the flat feet, and explain what you had to do to get a response.

BRING BACK THE BIRCH.

Dave - this is dreadful. I reiterate everything that others have said on this thread. Sheer mindless, wanton vandalism like this makes my blood boil, hope everything gets sorted, including the little morons that did this and that you are up and running again asap - Rob

Hi all,

Well I spent most of yesterday listing all my tools and equipment as my work shop break in has made me realise I am seriously under insured. If I had lost the entire contents I would be struggling.

Just to prove there is always a positive side to most things in this life, I had a phone call and a visit from the guy who refitted my w/shop door to make it secure. He brought his wife with him and she had a stack of cuttings from some home magazines with her. The upshot is I now have two extra commissions :D

I expect to be fully operational by the end of next week.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave_G":21f0tmi4 said:
Well I spent most of yesterday listing all my tools and equipment as my work shop break in has made me realise I am seriously under insured. If I had lost the entire contents I would be struggling.

I hope the loss adjuster didn't notice! Thankfully, I bet the domestic ones aren't that clued up on workshop contents.

Dave sorry to hear about your problem.

Security needs to be top of your list and it does not need to cost the earth. You can get a device for as little as £35 http://safield.co.uk/product_info.php/c ... cts_id/306 which just plugs into a 13 amp socket. This has a PIR motion detector on it and if the scum walk in front of it, it will silently dial up to 5 phone numbers that you have stored in it. For instance you could enter your house or mobile phone number and if they break in in the middle of the night the phone which you have by your bed will alert you. This will then give you time to call the police or you could always make sure that the ars-hole tripped over a piece of wood while accidently switching on the table saw and fell straight onto the blade.
The best part of this model is the criminal dosen't even know he's tripped the device because there is no siren.

You can also get a full alarm system such as
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 7&ts=17436
This will do the same as above, internal and external sirens, and you can also listen in to what is happening until the police get there.

There are lots of other devices you can get and as i have said you don't need to spend a lot.

Good luck

Mike

I'm horrified but sadly not surprised to hear about your problems concerning filthy subhuman criminal scum, it's good to hear you should be getting a favourable outcome from your insurance though.
As various members have indicated on here, there are a number of security devices available to help in dealing with these low-lifes, this is my favourite:

http://www.dick.biz/dwen/Products/Graen ... -1700.html

V. :twisted:

Dave_G":3spxg6yv said:
Hi all,

Hi Dave

Do you just add all the tools to your houshold insurance or do you have a specific policy for th workshop?

Cheers

Gareth

Mike.C":2g0mippz said:
You can also get a full alarm system such as
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 7&ts=17436
T

After the last series of posts when someone's workshop got burgled, I bit the bullet and bought that exact model. I figured that if my workshop got done, I would go out and spend the money on an alarm, so I figure I might as well do it first, and hopefully save myself the hassle.

The system took me a couple of hours to fit and test, and so far it has been great. No false alarms in approx 5 months, and every time I have forgotten to turn it off and opened the workshop door, it has scared the living daylights out of me!

I would highly recommend this system to anyone who hasn't got an alarm system currently - I am about to order another one for the house, and apparently the two can be linked together.

(Make sure that you change the 4 digit disarm code when you install it - apparently a lot of people leave it at the default value, which is obviously a bit dumb, as this would be the first code a burglar would try to disarm the system with)

Regards

Gary

(No affiliation by the way).

Hi Gareth,

I have had all my tools etc... listed on my house contents insurance - I decided to do this as it was the most cost effective way.

To all of you have posted suggestions for alarm systems - many thanks!

And to all of you who have posted thanks - it made me a lot better having a rant about all this.

All the best,

Dave

Hi Dave,
I'm seriously gutted for you mate. It happened to me a few years ago. They came back a second time about a month or so later. My insurers wriggled out of the payout & left me to foot the bill myself. So as they say these days 'I feel your pain'. Now if the police do it right they have DNA & should be able to trace these...............people.

The thing is that these B*^&%ards have little to do but watch what honest people are doing all day long. They don't work, so they have plenty of time & energy to plan these things. If It was down to me the benefits these (pick your own expletive) are getting would be earned by sweeping the streets & suchlike. They would be too tired to go robbing all night long.
Oh, & before anybody says they may be too ill to work my reply is 'Yes, but not too ill to commit crime eh? I agree with Garywayne, bring back the birch!!!!!!!! Hope all is sorted to your satisfaction mate.

cheers, sliver.

Back