Workshop break in

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_G

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just found out today that my workshop that is detached from my house has been broken into. The damage that has been caused is:

- a forced lock to the door;
- security light smashed;
- tools thrown all over the place
- and all power leads to my band saw, router, planner etc... cut

The most disgusting thing is the sprouts emptied their bowels on my work bench and urinated all over the place.

BUT what has really upset me the fact they chose to run a screw driver down a desk top that I had just finished!

Oh the Police - naah where I live they don't come out to these things these days - all I get is a crime reference number so that I can claim on my insurance! Oh and it will be 'kids' who thought they might get a bloody moutain bike!

Rant over - now!

Dave

Dave
That's really awful. I can't understand what sort of people would do such a thing. I hope you manage to bring back some order to the workshop quickly.
Truly shocking.
All the best,
Gidon

Dave,

I'm gutted for you. I hope you get it back to normal quickly and can start to enjoy your workshop again.

Would this be an appropriate time for my "compulsory sterilisation for all criminals" rant? It doesn't matter if it's "nature or nurture"; bad parents create bad kids. So sterilise the criminal ones. And I would include parking and speeding fines in that too :)

Phil

Dave, that's - well I can't say what I'd like to, but "it stinks" is a just a start (although horribly fitting, unfortunately). Mindless vandalism like that is just incomprehensible to me, and indeed to us all who prefer to create than destruct. Very depressing. :(

Alf

Dave,
I am very sorry to hear what has happened to you r workshop and hope you get it back up and running soon.

As for the Police :shock: ( but not surprised :evil: ), if these kids always get away with it, it will get worse :evil: .

All the best Colin

My sincere commiserations,Dave - I've (thankfully) only been burgled once,and that was tools stolen from the garage (the same night,I think half the street had tools stolen from sheds/garages)
Got it all replaced,no quibbles,on the household insurance;stopped keeping hand tools in the garage,though.
At least my stuff was actually stolen,and not just subject to mindless and pointless vandalism - I hope the little barstewards get caught :evil: (but unfortunately,don't believe they will :( )

Hope your insurance company is as helpful as mine was.

Andrew

Dave that's awful.

I bet you would rather had your tools stolen than the mindless vandalism.

I Hope you get things sorted quickly and can come up with a suitable deterrent for the future.

Andy

I'm truly sorry to hear that. What a despicable act.

Just remember, when chatting down the pub/with the other local "yoofs" remember they might mention they came across a workshop full of tools. Get some better locks (top and bottom) with some bracing on each side and maybe security lights - didn't someone mention an alarm which when connected to a phone line rings you up?

All the best. Have you considered claiming for contract cleaners to come in and clean up?

Given the err. "DNA opportunities" they so disgustingly left behind - I'm surprised the police didn't choose to come out.

Adam

Sorry to here this. I know I would be gutted if this happened to me, so can only imagine how upset you must be. I hope it all works out for you.

As for the police, that attitude is unfortunately all too common now. Perhaps a complaint of failing to carry out their duty would be an appropriate response. The main oath/responsibilities contains 'the prevention and detection of crime' as a main theme.

dave

Really sorry to hear your bad news, unfortunately thats the way sociaty is going nowadays with the young.

Here's a thought that might not stop them, but will give you the evidence you need to prosecute. Some chap at work was getting things stolen from his locked locker, he purchased a camera that looked like a clock, once set it was triggered by motion and started recording, guy was caught the next day helping himself to the goodies in the cupboard. If you have this evidence then the police, I think must react.

Anyway worth a thought.

Sorry to hear that Dave...

all that anguish theyve given you, and for what .. a laugh at someone elses expense...mindless B******s

Along with most of the other members, i agree and think the little "darlings" wont get caught, and even if they do, a slapped wrist and "dont do it ,again" mentally seems to prevail in our judicial system...

also get more locks/alarm because they now know what lies within your garage/workshop.

again , my sincere commiserations.

Dave when I read stories like yours it makes my blood boil especially as plod oviuosly couldnt care less (unless it involved particular sorts of "hate crimes" theyd be there in seconds) Arguments in favour of pick axe handles and nail guns apear persuasive in these situations. ****** like these robbed me one boxing day, another time they smashed EVERY car wing mirror in the street one new years eve :roll: :roll: :roll:
Trite as it may seem, dont let it get to you Dave. As others have said I hope you get the insurance sorted, improve secutiy even if you get a dog and get on with what you do best namely make good stuff from wood!
Cheers Mr Spanton :)

It really gets to me when I read stories like yours. These little scum bags won't get what they deserve and they portray an image that soils every other young person.

It's worrying to think that the police couldn't care less. What do they get paid for if they get to chose what crimes they 'feel' like looking into? I think a complaint should be made - might make them get off their backsides and do something about it.

I agree that now the little b***ards know what you have in there they may well come back once you have everything sorted to cause more problems, so a major security upgrade is called for.

Good luck getting everything up and running again.

Davy

Thanks to all you who have replied - it great to have such support!

Just a quick update - I managed to get Greater Manchester Police to attend and they in turn sent SOCO. I went to my local Police station with the piece of sh*t in bag and asked at the desk where I should leave this as it was deposited in my workshop that has just been trashed.

A really helpful desk person managed to get someone to see me and told me to go home as an officer would be with me within the hour. Yes they turned up and made some notes - SOCO took some swabs, now lets see what happens.

A positive plug for my house insurers (H*lIf*x) they asked me to take as many photos as I could and are sending an assessor round tomorrow am and have sent a cippy and locksmith to sort out my workshop door etc... They have both just left having made the shop secure, but asked if I wanted to replace the door etc... as I obviously am better skilled - their words not mine :) and said could I make a dining room table for one them when I'm up and running.

It looks like I will be out action for only a short while as most of the damage to my machines is where they cut the power cables - what a shame they weren't live!!!! I can replace all the cables in a matter of minutes.

Onwards and upwards as they say! :D

Dave G,
Appalled to hear your problem, I echo what everyone else has said.
Do your best to put it behind you mate and get on with creating not destroying like those mindless c***s.
Regards
Martin
(Who will be having a long hard look at his WS security...)

Glad you fimally got some attention from the feds and that the Halifax is looking after you. If they do analyse DNA and put it on the DNA database there's a chance that if the kid embarks on a career of crime he may indeed be caught at some stage.

Noel, with a vision of you walking into the local nick with a bag of sh*te under your arm.

Ive just picked up on your post dave!!
Why do kids do such things? It makes me so angry just thinking about it. You could almost understand if the tools had been stolen, but this!

Anyhow, I hope all is replaced and sorted soon and that your workshop will be totally mongrel proof from now on.
regartds
beejay

Dave

You must be gutted, the fact that the insurance is helping out is no satisfaction to the ****** getting away with it. These people should not get their wrists slapped but a bloody good hiding. They might think twice before doing it again.

A local farmer had trouble with "kids" trying to roll his large round bails down his field, he rang the police who replied that it was not really against the law but devilment. :shock: :shock:

He rang the police back to tell them not to bother as he and his farm hands would sort it out. :wink: :wink:

Within 5 minutes 2 police cars arrived at the farm and informed him in no uncertain terms that he was not to do anything, otherwise he could be arrested :roll: :roll:

Hope you get it all sorted with the minimum of fuss.

Les

Dave_G":26ef1fq1 said:
It looks like I will be out action for only a short while as most of the damage to my machines is where they cut the power cables - what a shame they weren't live!!!!
:D

Probably just as well they weren't live, the police would have been pretty quick to prosecute you if the little sh*ts had been electrocuted. You can't go hurting burglars you know, what about their rights!!

Anyway on a serious note, sorry to hear what happened and I'm glad the insurance are being helpful.

Cheers
Mike

Back