Woodworking Square recommendations please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Adam W. - I would have expanded my comment with a better explanation of 'Why' the statement is incorrect but the last time I did that the ensuing (interesting) discusion was deleted by the moderators so I'll start another thread in the [Off Topic] section.

[EDIT] moved to 'General Woodworking' ??

Last edited:
I use 3 squares mainly, the first is an old 12" rabone Chester man 1902 like this, it's got a cast head and a hardened blade and they are good value on the 2nd hand market.
The next is a 6" double square from Axminster but by the look of it it's now been discontinued so if I needed to replace it I'd do so with an Igauging.
The third is a 90mm brass and steel square made by Shinwa and honestly I reach for this more than any other, obviously it really does depend on the size of work you do but it's just a lovely little thing.

Matt

Last edited:
The third is a 100mm brass and steel square made by Shinwa and honestly I reach for this more than any other, obviously it really does depend on the size of work you do but it's just a lovely little thing.

Matt
The Shinwa link doesn't work.

I had Shinwa s/s square and mitres until someone relieved me of both - excellent tools.

My response was aimed at general woodworking not miniature hobbyist work I make miniature furniature myself and do work to sub 1mm but with larger woodwork the material is too unstable
I did think that was the case and is the reason I was surprised at your 'blanket' statement.

If I remember correctly, the spiral staircase in your avatar is an example of your work and I'm sure that required sub 1mm precision.

I'm suspect that you've also read the follow-up posts so can appreciate the reason for my curt comment.

I only knew I needed a dead accurate square after all the magazine talking heads and later the internet YouTube goomers told me I did.

How in the world did I ever do anything?

I did think that was the case and is the reason I was surprised at your 'blanket' statement.

If I remember correctly, the spiral staircase in your avatar is an example of your work and I'm sure that required sub 1mm precision.

I'm suspect that you've also read the follow-up posts so can appreciate the reason for my curt comment.
You are correct the spiral is sub 1mm my work shop is devided in two, large machines for general large woodwork and the miniature side where I have had to make machines and tools to work at that scale , Unfortunately as we moved down to Devon last year I am back working at plus 1mm hanging a door on pre installed frames would take too long working to sub 1mm accuracy, I do like to get the fit close and am called a perfectionist by the family. But once that side is finished it's back to verniers ect to produce 1\12 scale dove tails and mortice and tenons

Yes I’ve seen this in engineering construction. Often don’t need a level and once bent about 100 pieces of 30mm hydraulic pipe on a bender to 90 degrees by eye. Guy who fitted them couldn’t believe how accurate they were.

I seem to recall from a previous thread that a lot of people rate the empire true blue range
I bought one of these and was surprised at how good it was. Better than most woodworking squares and cheaper combinations. The 45 and 90 degree edges are milled, not just stamped out.
I like the solid one piece construction, light weight and the flanged edge is very usable. It lies flat and doesn't tip.
It's alloy so it does dent, but any raised burrs caused can be dressed back to flat with a stone.
It it wears enough to be a problem, replace it or get someone with a mill to clock it up and just recut the edges.

I'd absolutely buy a larger 10 or 12" version as well as the standard size.

But : I'm with everyone who says 345 triangles and make your MFT properly. That's the whole point of having one.

Just picked this up from Am Prime for the princely sum of £3.75. It appears genuine Starrett, albeit made in China, and is absolutely square - I just marked round a 3x2 baton with a marking knife and met exactly. Seems a crazy price.

Attachments

• 0ACB1D16-5BFE-4E84-991A-03829D4D4C7A.jpeg
    0ACB1D16-5BFE-4E84-991A-03829D4D4C7A.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Basically any old square will do, you just have to check it for square and if not, get another one, or make your own.

It sounds like you are after something large, so I would echo what others have said about using sheet materials or one of the popular cut and check techniques.

However, for an engineers square I can recommend Kinex. I recently bought a couple of squares from Workshop Heaven after originally looking for some Moore and Wright. I hadn’t heard of Kinex before but they were cheaper and advertised a higher standard(DIN 875/0 a German standard). Lower cost higher accuracy didn’t make sense but for the price I didn’t mind risking it. Very happy with them after checking them, and for £30 for 150mm I’d not be too shy about using it as an everyday square!

EDIT: Just to say that I was comparing Moore and Wright at BS939/B to Kinex at DIN875/0.

I wasn’t suggesting that Moore and Wright don’t make squares with a higher standard.

It sounds like you are after something large, so I would echo what others have said about using sheet materials or one of the popular cut and check techniques.

However, for an engineers square I can recommend Kinex. I recently bought a couple of squares from Workshop Heaven after originally looking for some Moore and Wright. I hadn’t heard of Kinex before but they were cheaper and advertised a higher standard(DIN 875/0 a German standard). Lower cost higher accuracy didn’t make sense but for the price I didn’t mind risking it. Very happy with them after checking them, and for £30 for 150mm I’d not be too shy about using it as an everyday square!

EDIT: Just to say that I was comparing Moore and Wright at BS939/B to Kinex at DIN875/0.

I wasn’t suggesting that Moore and Wright don’t make squares with a higher standard.
Kinex is excellent! I have two, a 6" and a 4". High accuracy, low cost.

Back