Woodworking Square recommendations please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the Veritas one that is flat steel with no shoulder. It is the most useful in the workshop by far.
I also have a 300mm combination square which I keep in my toolbox. Between these two it covers everything .

I also have a bunch of other squares because er, I like squares. But those two are essential.

A note on the combination squares is you can often buy 600mm rulers that fit in the sane head.

Ollie

The Nobex range of folding squares are totally accurate and have a scale etched on the stainless steel ' blade '. Well worth the money and I find that they stay nice and clean when folded.

As with all types of squares one drop and bang goes the accuracy I always do the double line check one left one right if they vier off you need to adjust, the !onger the blade it only takes a cats whisker

I made a big layout triangle made from one section off a full sheet of MDF. My reckoning was the corners are more likely to be 90 degrees over that 4' length, or at least way way better than any other square that size.

I made a big layout triangle made from one section off a full sheet of MDF. My reckoning was the corners are more likely to be 90 degrees over that 4' length, or at least way way better than any other square that size.
yes and why not!
It's pretty easy to make up your own accurate square. I think the search for precision can be an attempt to make up for lack of technique - no point in marking a precise line if you can't cut to it, or don't know how to straighten it - a lot of woodwork involves covering your tracks!
Also a lot of work entails "offering up" to check for fit, and adjusting accordingly for a precise fit, not produced with squares or gadgets.

Last edited:
Yes well, this is plumb enough for me....... Come to think of it, I guess it's why nothing I make is square.

Top of wall plumbish to sole plate.

IMG_2780.JPG

I had to shove it about a bit to get it spot on like that.....

IMG_2779.JPG

An long edge strip from a sheet of MDF is a good starting point for making a zero clearance router fence as well.

yes and why not!
It's pretty easy to make up your own accurate square. I think the search for precision can be an attempt to make up for lack of technique - no point in marking a precise line if you can't cut to it, or don't know how to straighten it - a lot of woodwork involves covering your tracks!
Also a lot of work entails "offering up" to check for fit, and adjusting accordingly for a precise fit, not produced with squares or anything.
Working to within 1mm in woodwork is pointless as it moves with heat/cold /moisture

Hi,

I have a faithful engineers square, which is perfect. It is my square I use to calibrate other squares / tools I have.

Buy a couple from Amazon, test them and return the ones that are not perfect.

The human eye is very good at judging if something is out, even by a tiny margin. If something looks, wrong it most likely is.
I've had the problem of fitting doors and windows in little old houses where nothing is straight. Having to explain to the client that it'll look wrong if they are plumb vertical etc - they have to go with the flow!

I've had the problem of fitting doors and windows in little old houses where nothing is straight. Having to explain to the client that it'll look wrong if they are plumb vertical etc - they have to go with the flow!
In this instance I’d absolutely agree with Jacob, having worked many years on old industrial sites and projects, the last thing you want to do is get your work 100% square or level. Do it by eye or your work is the thing that looks out of square.
On a new project I’m all over the levels, plumb bobs and accuracy to true.

Back