Why is this dangerous kit being advertised on here?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No ties, no sleeves, no gloves, not long hair. They are all the lathes favourite appetisers before it eats you as the main meal.....

Personally I think the debate on which aids are more/less safe is of far less importance than just ensuring people have the basic safety principles instilled into them - how they then apply them is personal responsibility if outside of a commercial environment.

E.g. No loose clothing or hair near rotating machinery.
Keep your arms out of line of the blade
Wear eye protection
Disconnect the power before doing any maintenance

... Etc etc

You are of course correct, and knowing not to put ones hands too close is part of that essential knowledge, the problem occurs when that surety of purpose is bent by manufacturers and promoters of safety telling people to use this or that piece of equipment which they promote as the safe way to do things, then does the very opposite which then brings their hands into the danger zone.
Ian

is it just me or is this site almost unusable, writing anything is taking forever, sometimes when the backspace is used whole sentences are lost. I am not having any problems anywhere else- at all!
It seems strange that this started when I criticised one of the advertisers on here.
Paranoid moi?

is it just me or is this site almost unusable, writing anything is taking forever, sometimes when the backspace is used whole sentences are lost. I am not having any problems anywhere else- at all!
It seems strange that this started when I criticised one of the advertisers on here.
Paranoid moi?
Yeah - just paranoid.
But I've also had a few occasions recently when the site was slow to respond. Cloudflare popping up and saying it had timed out and the like. Maybe the internet was just getting hammered over the Christmas holiday :)

Yeah - just paranoid.
But I've also had a few occasions recently when the site was slow to respond. Cloudflare popping up and saying it had timed out and the like. Maybe the internet was just getting hammered over the Christmas holiday :)
I've had exactly the same and put it down to being busier as well. I've even gone to another page at times to do a speed test in case but that's OK

Just because you had a flu shot doesn't mean you won't get it. If the strain of virus isn't the ones they guessed would be needed and made the vaccine for, you can still get it. Keep drinking the water so you don't get dehydrated. Suck it up buttercup and get better.

Pete

Just because you had a flu shot doesn't mean you won't get it. If the strain of virus isn't the ones they guessed would be needed and made the vaccine for, you can still get it. Keep drinking the water so you don't get dehydrated. Suck it up buttercup and get better.

Pete

Our daughter came on Christmas day to stay over, Boxing day am she was ill and tested Covid positive so sent her home, both my wife and I tested positive on Thursday and it wasn't nice at all, full range of symptoms including "covid conjunctivitis" for me but we're both getting much better now.

All three of us had managed to avoid Covid so far and have had 5 lots of vaccines but at least we had far less chance of being hospitalised or worse. They've always said that Flu and Covid vaccines can't prvent catching it just hopefully lessen the severity.

Well sorry, my paranoia was self induced! After reading another post about the adverts getting in the way, I checked my account and turned them off, ( not that I had ever turned them on again before)
All fixed. So now you can expect more drivel from me!!
It really made trying to type anything almost impossible even moving about the site was a nightmare.
The other plus is that I don’t have to look at the offending ad anymore!
Ian

Back on the subject of losing fingers I was disappointed to see recent videos from Bradshaw Joinery, New Yorkshire Workshop and Gosforth Handyman all showing dodgy table saw usage so it's not just the American Youtubers we have to blame 🙁

Are talking about one of these machines . I’ve hired one several times over the last year or two to remove anything from small tree stumps to huge 36/48 “ beasts . I can understand the need to remove ( bricks , concrete , steel etc ) but simply can’t fathom why anyone would want to get anywhere near that blade . Our procedure was to drop the revs to minimum and swing the machine away from the cut zone , once the rock etc was removed and cleared then my mate would remove himself from the area and the machine would be repositioned and continue with the stump . Re chainsaw trousers - while I’m more than confident in them when using my chainsaws to prevent serious injury from a very fast and sharp chain of teeth I don’t think it would make any difference to this machine . It does have a large ,heavy , steel disc but it has what I can only describe as two bolts for teeth top and bottom of the disc and by design the fibres in class 1 or 2 chainsaw trousers would not stop it spinning due to the horsepower of the stump grinder . Also this machine does not drive itself and has to be manually pulled or dragged into or out of position.

It also by nature of its design tend to dig itself in as it throws the waste underneath the machine body meaning after so long you have to drag it out of position and then rake out all the crud it produces ..
Chainsaw trousers could actually contribute to an accident with these machines, as the ballistic nylon/kevlar liner is far stronger than say, denim. Thus you've no chance of pulling free.
Case in point: We were using a post peeler & the guy I was working with had his shirt sleeve caught by the revolving post & it was pulling his arm into the blade. Fortunately he was strong enough to pull away hard enough to rip the sleeve off his thick shirt at the shoulder. A weaker person or stronger clothing could have led to a serious accident.

Back