ChatGPT - artificial intelligence.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peri

Established Member
Reaction score
Browsing through the news yesterday I found an article about a band of teachers who'd formed a group, with the aim of sharing tips to stop students using artificial intelligence to cheat at exams.

Intrigued, I went to have a look at ChatGPT, to see what kind of answers it would give.

I asked it to explain the difference between climb and conventional milling.

"Climb milling and conventional milling are two different methods of machining with a milling machine.

In conventional milling, the cutter rotates against the direction of the feed. This creates a cutting action that pushes the workpiece away from the cutter, resulting in a slight reduction in surface quality.

In climb milling, the cutter rotates in the same direction as the feed. This creates a cutting action that pulls the workpiece into the cutter, resulting in a better surface finish.

Climb milling is generally considered to be more efficient and produce a better surface finish, but it can be more dangerous because the cutting forces are directed towards the cutter, potentially causing the workpiece to be pulled into the cutter. Conventional milling is considered to be safer, but it can be less efficient and produce a slightly inferior surface finish."

A colleague suggested "What is the correct stance when filing and why?"
The correct stance when filing is to stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, with one foot slightly forward. This stance provides a stable base and allows for a full range of motion in your arms and shoulders. It is important to keep your back straight and to use your legs to support your body weight, as filing can be fatiguing if you are not using the correct posture.

It is also important to hold the file correctly, with your dominant hand grasping the handle and your other hand holding the end of the file. This allows for maximum control and precision while filing.

Having a correct stance and grip helps to ensure that the filing process is done safely and efficiently. It also helps to reduce fatigue and the risk of injury to the hands, wrists, and arms.

Another colleague asked "in milling, how do i work out the correct cutter rpm (in metric units)?"
To determine the correct cutter RPM for milling in metric units, you will need to consider the following factors:

Material: Different materials have different recommended cutting speeds.
Cutter diameter: Larger cutters require slower speeds than smaller ones.
Number of flutes: More flutes on a cutter can handle higher speeds.
Chip load: This refers to the amount of material being removed by each flute per revolution. A higher chip load requires a slower speed.

Once you have considered these factors, you can use a cutting speed chart or a formula such as: RPM = (cutting speed (m/min) x 1000) / (π x cutter diameter (mm))

However, it is important to note that this is just a rough estimate and it's always recommended to start at lower RPMs and gradually increase until you achieve the desired finish and tool life.
It's also important to follow the manufacturer recommendations and consider the tool material, coatings and geometries as well as the machine capabilities and rigidity.

One of our maths lecturers asked it a complicated question about two trains approaching each other on an incline, involving speed, mass, inertia and momentum.
The Chat explained what each property was, how to define it, the calculations used, and finally the correct answer showing all the working out.

The maths lecturer looked at me and shook his head - "Teaching, as a profession, is doomed" he said.
Possibly a bit dramatic, but I can see why the teachers in that group were a bit rattled :)

The maths lecturer looked at me and shook his head - "Teaching, as a profession, is doomed" he said.
Wouldn't say doomed, but it's going to change.

At present children are being indoctrinated to exist in a world that won't exist in 15 years.

Browsing through the news yesterday I found an article about a band of teachers who'd formed a group, with the aim of sharing tips to stop students using artificial intelligence to cheat at exams.

Intrigued, I went to have a look at ChatGPT, to see what kind of answers it would give.

I asked it to explain the difference between climb and conventional milling.

A colleague suggested "What is the correct stance when filing and why?"

Another colleague asked "in milling, how do i work out the correct cutter rpm (in metric units)?"

One of our maths lecturers asked it a complicated question about two trains approaching each other on an incline, involving speed, mass, inertia and momentum.
The Chat explained what each property was, how to define it, the calculations used, and finally the correct answer showing all the working out.

Possibly a bit dramatic, but I can see why the teachers in that group were a bit rattled :)
Is it just a digital way of identifying and extracting quotations from existing texts; replicating what we already do the old fashioned way, but faster?

Wouldn't say doomed, but it's going to change.

At present children are being indoctrinated to exist in a world that won't exist in 15 years.
I thought it was he other way around - the young seem much more aware of climate change issues and are doing all the protesting.

Very interesting. I remember taken a look at wolfram alpha a while back and that was quite impressive e but this is the next level.

Is it just a digital way of identifying and extracting quotations from existing texts; replicating what we already do the old fashioned way, but faster?
No, not really. It has a level of 'understanding', just not yet human level.

No, not really. It has a level of 'understanding', just not yet human level.
Yes but you could say that of many students struggling to cobble together an essay!
Given the right question would it recycle nonsense from the loony right (e.g. Jordan Peterson, Ayn Rand etc)? And would we be able to spot it?
Could be like sat nav which churns on intelligently giving out directions and suggestions, until it loses the plot completely and you are going around in circles?

Last edited:
Yes but you could say that of many students struggling to cobble together an essay!
Given the right question would it recycle nonsense from the loony right (e.g. Jordan Peterson, Ayn Rand etc)? And would we be able to spot it?
Could be like sat nav which churns on intelligently giving out directions and suggestions, until it loses the plot completely and you are going around in circles?
Or the loony left!!

I'm going to ask it to understand my wife then it will be smoking!🤣🤣🤣

Given the right question would it recycle nonsense from the loony right (e.g. Jordan Peterson, Ayn Rand etc)?
it doesn't have opinions, it is more of a consolidator of information
go try it

How do they access AI under exam conditions, or have things now changed from the days of being ushered into a room under total silence and then having papers handed out face down on the desk before all being told the rules and then " you may start " .

It would not be difficult to have jammers in the room to block access to phones, Cell Phone Jammer - jammer4uk

My view is much simpler, any exam or test results are worthless and pointless unless earned, nothing to be gained in cheating.

here is an example to help make the point:

AI question on force.jpg

clearly that is not simply recycling quotes from the internet as I have just made up that question - it needed to have a certain 'understanding' of the information in order to give me a specific answer for my specific question. So yeah... its pretty neat, and it might be able to pass some exams in many different subjects at many different levels
my opinion on all these AI things is we are better off embracing the technology and finding ways to work WITH it not AGAINST it because, like it or not, its coming and you wont be able to stop it :)

It can be useful to ordinary people in the real world as it can answer all sorts of questions, and I have found that it can construct complex (for me) spreadsheet commands. I've also seen it tested on computer coding in Python with a pretty good degree of success. A great help if struggling with syntax.
True intelligence? Not yet, but it's coming.
Duncan

Could you ask it to define "true intelligence"? How is it different from machine intelligence?
“Machine intelligence refers to the ability of a machine or computer to perform tasks that would typically require human intelligence, such as visual perception, speech recognition, decision-making, and language understanding. True intelligence, on the other hand, refers to the ability of a being to have cognitive abilities, such as the ability to learn, reason, and understand complex concepts. While machines can exhibit characteristics of true intelligence, they are not sentient and do not possess consciousness or self-awareness.”

“Machine intelligence refers to the ability of a machine or computer to perform tasks that would typically require human intelligence, such as visual perception, speech recognition, decision-making, and language understanding. True intelligence, on the other hand, refers to the ability of a being to have cognitive abilities, such as the ability to learn, reason, and understand complex concepts. While machines can exhibit characteristics of true intelligence, they are not sentient and do not possess consciousness or self-awareness.”
In philosophy the big question is where does "sentience/self-awareness/consciousness begin. The answer isn't clear and leads to "panpsychism".

How do they access AI under exam conditions, or have things now changed from the days of being ushered into a room under total silence and then having papers handed out face down on the desk before all being told the rules and then " you may start " .

Most of the work done for the qualifications we teach revolve around essays and questions students do in their own time. More emphasis is placed on the coursework, traditional exams as we knew them don't really play a large part, and sometimes don't exist at all.

EDIT:
Maybe my original statement of 'cheating at exams' was not worded correctly, possibly should have said 'cheating to obtain qualifications'.

:)

I think maybe the old concept of sitting an exam is the better way of a student demonstrating their grasp of a subject, it is just their knowledge they have to retrieve and put down on paper in a set time. I did a load of C&G exams with great success and admit it was hard graft, after a years work it all came down to a two hour exam but it made me really get to grips with the subject and understand it in depth.

have said 'cheating to obtain qualifications'.
Which makes the qualification pointless and hopefully future employers will realise that there is something amiss .

The only time I have experienced in depth checking of work was on a software course and they had concerns over plagiarism, here the tutors were looking for the same program just with different variable naming and they could run it through a checker which showed commonality of methodology, essentially looking for people sharing code.

I just tried it. Server overload and got presented with Javascript to keep me interested and sign up for when it will be available again.

Reading @Molynoox words though, means it does work.
I will try again soon as AI is a big interest for me, and where it might/will lead.

Back