ChatGPT - artificial intelligence.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... and like all others -- not needed!
I asked chatgpt what a grammar nazi is, here is the reply.

The term "grammar Nazi" is a colloquialism used to describe someone who is extremely pedantic or obsessive about grammar rules and correcting others' grammatical errors. This term is often used in a humorous or pejorative way, and some people find it offensive due to its association with the Nazi regime. It's important to remember that while good grammar is important, correcting others' mistakes should be done tactfully and with consideration for their feelings.

Sounds right to me.

Gerry

this is fascinating

Q: design a workbench made from softwood without any screws or nails

A: Sure, I can suggest a design for a workbench made from softwood without using screws or nails. Here is one possible design:
Materials needed:
  • Softwood boards (2x4 or 2x6)
  • Wood glue
  • Clamps
  • Hand saw or circular saw
  • Chisel
  • Mallet or hammer
Instructions:
  1. Cut four legs to the desired height of your workbench. Cut the ends of the legs at a 10-degree angle to create a splayed leg effect.
  2. Cut two long rails and two short rails to fit between the legs. The long rails should be the length of the workbench, and the short rails should be the width of the workbench minus the thickness of the legs.
  3. Cut tenons on the ends of the rails that will fit into mortises on the legs. The tenons should be the same thickness as the legs and about 1/3 the width of the rail.
  4. Cut mortises in the legs to fit the tenons. The mortises should be the same thickness as the tenons and about 1/3 the width of the leg.
  5. Apply wood glue to the tenons and insert them into the mortises. Use clamps to hold the joints together while the glue dries.
  6. Repeat steps 3-5 for all four corners of the workbench.
  7. Cut a top for the workbench to the desired size. The top can be made from multiple boards joined together with tongue-and-groove joints, or it can be a single board.
  8. Apply wood glue to the top of the legs and place the top on the legs. Use clamps to hold the top in place while the glue dries.
  9. Optional: Cut a shelf to fit between the legs near the bottom of the workbench. The shelf can be attached using a similar method to the top.
This design uses traditional joinery techniques, including mortise-and-tenon joints and tongue-and-groove joints, to

network error

it was going so well until the network error. and it's imperial . i think it would have just offered a finish.

interestingly if you regenerate it will give you another option...

A:
Sure, I can provide you with a design for a workbench made from softwood without any screws or nails. Here are the instructions:

Materials needed:

• 2 pieces of softwood measuring 2 inches by 4 inches by 8 feet
  • 4 pieces of softwood measuring 1 inch by 4 inches by 6 feet
  • 1 piece of softwood measuring 2 inches by 6 inches by 8 feet
  • 1 piece of softwood measuring 3/4 inch by 12 inches by 6 feet
  • Wood glue
  • Clamps
  • Hand saw or power saw
  • Wood chisels
  • Wood mallet
  • Measuring tape
  • Pencil
Instructions:

1. Cut the 2 pieces of softwood measuring 2 inches by 4 inches by 8 feet in half to create 4 pieces that measure 4 feet in length.
  2. Take 2 of the 4-foot pieces of softwood and lay them on their sides, parallel to each other, with a gap of approximately 4 feet between them.
  3. Place one of the 6-foot pieces of softwood across the top of the two 4-foot pieces, perpendicular to them and centered on the gap between them. This will form the top of the workbench.
  4. Using a wood chisel and wood mallet, make notches in the 1-inch by 4-inch pieces of softwood at the ends to fit snugly into the gaps between the legs and the top. Make sure the notches are deep enough to hold the legs securely in place.
  5. Apply wood glue to the notches in the 1-inch by 4-inch pieces of softwood and insert them into the gaps between the legs and the top. Use clamps to hold them in place until the glue dries.
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the other 2 legs.
  7. Cut the 2-inch by 6-inch piece of softwood in half to create 2 pieces that measure 4 feet in length.
  8. Place one of the 4-foot pieces of softwood between the legs at the bottom of the workbench, perpendicular to them and centered on the gap between them. This will form the lower shelf of the workbench.
  9. Using a wood chisel and wood mallet, make notches in the 1-inch by 4-inch pieces of softwood at the ends to fit snugly into the gaps between the legs and the lower shelf. Make sure the notches are deep enough to hold the lower shelf securely in place.
  10. Apply wood glue to the notches in the 1-inch by 4-inch pieces of softwood and insert them into the gaps between the legs and the lower shelf. Use clamps to hold them in place until the glue dries.
  11. Repeat steps 9 and 10 for the other 2 pieces of softwood.
  12. Cut the 3/4-inch by 12-inch by 6-foot piece of softwood into 4 pieces that measure 18 inches in length.
  13. Attach one of the 18-inch pieces of softwood to the bottom of each leg using wood glue and clamps. These will act as feet for the workbench.
  14. Let the glue dry completely before using the workbench.
That's it! With these steps, you should be able to create a sturdy workbench made from softwood without any screws or nails.

I asked it about a certain ship that was involved in the Falklands war. It gave a response, then added incremental information that HMS xxxxx was sunk by HMS nnnnn.

I replied that the latter response was factually incorrect.

In under a second, it apologised.

I needed to write a program in C++ for an automated blind opener project i'm making so i thought i would give this a try.
I asked a question with a few parameters set

write code for esp8266 to drive a stepper motor using stepper.h library and pins 2, 4, 0, 5 to two positions from 0 to 4200 steps using amazon echo and fauxmoESP. library Store the position in eeprom so if power is disconnected it remembers the last commanded position and is ready for the next command.

Within 30 secondsit spat out a full program with only two syntax errors that took a minute to fix. Saved me a few hours work. I noticed that asking the same question again produces a slightly different "tuned" answer proving it's not just churning out the same thing.
Impressed the dung out of me.

Gerry
But where is the fun in that?

how do you sharpen a plane iron by hand

Sharpening a plane iron by hand involves several steps, but it can be a straightforward process with practice. Here's a general guide to get you started:
  1. Secure the iron: Remove the iron from the plane and clamp it securely in a vice or on a sharpening jig to prevent it from moving during sharpening.
  2. Flatten the back: Start by flattening the back of the iron with a coarse-grit sharpening stone. Rub the iron back and forth across the stone until the entire back is flat and free of scratches.
  3. Establish the bevel angle: Determine the bevel angle of the iron (usually 25 or 30 degrees) and set your honing guide to the correct angle. Place the iron in the guide and tighten the screws to hold it in place.
  4. Hone the bevel: Start with a coarse-grit stone and work your way up to a fine-grit stone, honing the bevel until it's sharp and polished. Use a consistent angle and pressure to ensure an even edge.
  5. Hone the micro-bevel: Finally, to make the edge last longer, it's a good idea to hone a micro-bevel. This is done by holding the iron at a slightly higher angle than the bevel angle and running it over a fine-grit stone a few times. This small additional bevel will help protect the primary bevel during use and make it easier to maintain the edge.
  6. Test the edge: To check if the iron is sharp, try cutting a thin strip of wood with the plane. If it's not cutting smoothly, repeat the honing process until you achieve the desired result.
Remember, sharpening is a skill that takes time to master. Be patient and practice often to develop your technique.

Surely not - often people on this forum say sharpening is a personal choice (usually to defuse a strong discussion I think), AI just has it's own way:).

Write a poem about Winston Churchill's black dog and Einstein looking through a glass darkly.

Churchill's black dog barks at night,
A specter in his dreams, a fright.
A symbol of his inner gloom,
A darkness that consumes his room.

But in his mind, he battles on,
With wit and will, he marches on.
For though the black dog nips his heels,
Churchill knows how it feels.

For Einstein, it was a different glass,
A window to a world that few could grasp.
His theories, like the glass, were dark,
Yet they shed light on what we lack.

Through the glass, he saw a universe,
A cosmos vast, without rehearse.
His mind, a shining, brilliant spark,
With thoughts that pierce the deepest dark.

Churchill and Einstein, two great men,
Their struggles, though different, a common den.
For each faced a darkness all their own,
And in their own ways, they shone.

For Churchill, it was his black dog's bite,
For Einstein, it was the dark of night.
But in their minds, they found the way,
To light the world, and brighten the day.

Created by AI Stardate March 2023

Story about Winston Churchill and Einstein arguing over different chisel sharpening methods:-

Legend has it that Winston Churchill and Albert Einstein once had a heated argument over the best way to sharpen a chisel. Churchill insisted that the traditional method of using a sharpening stone was the way to go, while Einstein argued that a more scientific approach involving lasers and precise measurements was the key.

As the argument continued, both men became more and more passionate about their respective methods, each convinced that they were right. Finally, Einstein couldn't take it anymore and exclaimed, "You see, Winston, the problem with your method is that it's all so blunt and unrefined!"

Churchill, never one to be outdone, retorted, "And you, Albert, are so focused on precision that you've lost sight of the bigger picture!"

In the end, they both agreed to disagree, but not before Churchill quipped, "I suppose we'll just have to leave the chisel sharpening to the experts!"

Back