• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

What's gotten into the wood dust?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Status
Not open for further replies.

deserter

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2009
Messages
551
Reaction score
0
Location
Shrewsbury, Shropshire
What is going on? This forum used to be such a happy and pleasant place to visit, with loads of really good knowledge. Of late however it seems to be that every second post contains arguments and name calling.
Come on guys and girls let's all behave like adults and get along shall we, I mean who if someone does something different to you, why have a go at them, better to explain your own method and let others divide which is the best way to proceed.
If we're not careful the place is going to dissolve and people will find elsewhere to go and be helpful, this is a UK based forum visited by people from all over the globe because of its quality, much more if the current behaviour and knowledge will leave followed closely by everyone else.

There's an old saying which I think goes double for the Internet...

If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.
 

Cowboy _Builder

Established Member
Joined
28 Sep 2008
Messages
250
Reaction score
4
Location
Sutton in Ashfield, Notts
This is a problem in all forums , few people spoil it for the majority ,people post their experiences or methods of working usually when asked for help and because "Tom ,Dick or Harry" doesn't agree or are proven to been doing it wrong for years they then wage a hate campaign against the poster and their mates feel compelled to back them or more often than not move to another forum ....This has happened to me twice ,If I have nothing of value to offer to an argument then i say nothing, i don't profess to know everything about construction but having been in the industry for 45 years i do have a little knowledge of how things work , so now i only offer advice by PM and have never had a problem since .
By all means disagree,but please do it in a polite and constructive manner ... Allan
 

Dodge

Established Member
Joined
15 Oct 2010
Messages
2,587
Reaction score
1
Location
Shelfanger
deserter":2yvr7m3h said:
If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.

Never a truer word said - maybe some individuals of this parish should read this, consider it and hang their heads in shame! :( :(
 

promhandicam

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2006
Messages
1,232
Reaction score
0
Location
Surrey
Dodge":ay4n89v5 said:
deserter":ay4n89v5 said:
If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.

Never a truer word said - maybe some individuals of this parish should read this, consider it and hang their heads in shame! :( :(
And what was 'nice' about that comment?

Hope everyone reading this has a splendid evening :roll:
 

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Joined
7 Jul 2010
Messages
17,686
Reaction score
663
Location
Derbyshire
adidat":1nbqc9oo said:
coughjacobcough
coughsaditwatcough
What's all this about? You lot really need to grow up a bit.
 

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Joined
7 Jul 2010
Messages
17,686
Reaction score
663
Location
Derbyshire
deserter":24o77nqz said:
...

If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.
So why this post? Why this thread in fact?
 

Adam Mada

Established Member
Joined
11 Feb 2012
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Location
West Yorkshire, UK
I try to avoid the more negative posts. On the flip side I have had some amazing chats with a lot of super helpful members here, for every negative person there seems to be 10 people who are really nice and are happy to offer help and advice freely.
 

No skills

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
2,559
Reaction score
1
Location
Hanging by my fingertips
As with any internet forum, you have to sift out the good from the bad - this is a fairly reserved place I think, there are some real crapfests out there pretending to be forums.
 

Lons

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2010
Messages
7,690
Reaction score
391
Location
Northumberland
The vast majority of members on UKW are decent, knowledgeable, generous and very helpful people. Just check out the content of some of the many others "forums" on the internet, especially the car forums :shock:

There will always be disagreements and ideally these should be conducted in a responsible and considerate manner but as in life there are also people who delight in lighting the touchpaper before hiding only to appear occasionally to fuel the fire. unfortunately, some of us, including me, are not strong enough to resist the teptation to fire back at times. :oops:

Silly really as if ignored, these persons would soon become bored and seek their "jollies" elsewhere :)

Bob
 

Blister

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2006
Messages
6,749
Reaction score
120
I have a way of doing this

If a subject is something I know about I will comment ( but it's only my view )

If its something I know nothing about I keep quiet but read others comments and then make my mind up

Seems to work
 

Lons

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2010
Messages
7,690
Reaction score
391
Location
Northumberland
Blister":1jl07c1d said:
I have a way of doing this

If a subject is something I know about I will comment ( but it's only my view )

If its something I know nothing about I keep quiet but read others comments and then make my mind up

Seems to work
=D> =D> Well said that man
 

beech1948

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2004
Messages
2,145
Reaction score
62
Location
Crowthorne, Berkshire
I have recently ( 10 days ago) finally given in to placing three people into my "please ignore list" that is provided on this forum. Their views and approach offends me.

It works well. I do not see any of their posts but I can still follow the threads.

I don't think I have missed anything, I feel better for not having to contemplate the rubbish these people have been talking and can still contribute a few poor morsels occasionally.

Rather than slag off others I think its better to say nothing, keep my integrity and I hope my good manners.

Its a good, knowledgeable group of people who usually tolerate others. Lets keep it up.

Al
 

Benchwayze

Established Member
Joined
10 Mar 2007
Messages
9,450
Reaction score
108
Location
West Muddylands
Well Deserter,

Firstly there is a point to your question and here's one answer; and it's one that some people aren't going to like.

I've spent some happy years on this forum. I helped where I could. Some have even benefited from occasional bouts of my generosity.

I have never borne animosity toward anyone.
I have never wittingly tried to stir anything up.
I have never personally insulted anyone.

What I did do was make an ill-advised remark in a post.

Because my views were not unanimously welcomed, I was pounced upon, and left feeling very much to blame, and was in fact blamed, for the ensuing exchanges.

Unwisely, I was naïve enough to have the guts to try to defend myself..

Silly me then.

I should have left things alone, and not responded to the initial 'challenge'.
Unfortunately, on open Fora, this is what instigators want, because:

a) It draws attention to them. (Something which they love.)
b) In their eyes no response from the target means they have won, because the target has slunk away, 'tail between legs.' Ergo, it demonstrates to the rest of a forum, that they are right all along. Their behavior is a classic symptom of cyber-bullying, and it isn't confined to teen chat-rooms. I can stand up for myself, - believe me - when there is a physical challenge in front of me. Standing up to cyber-bullies though is difficult, because responses don't always come across in the manner intended, and ultimately matters are worsened.

So my advice to anyone who feels intimidated by any other member is to physically ignore them. Not necessarily by placing them on the 'ignore list', because doing so doesn't remove them from the scene. They are still there, rejoicing in the fact that they hounded someone out. Also, as it says in the guidelines, placing someone on ignore, doesn't stop them posting PM's to you, So again, what is the point? (There's a 'talk-to-the-hand' symbol one can use, which should be all that's required.

So, I'd rather see what these people have to say, and just ignore them, regardless. If everyone did this they would get the message far more quickly. So from now on that's how I am 'standing up' to small-mindedness.

My apologies to anyone I might have inadvertently upset, in the exchanges on another thread. it wasn't intentional, and it won't happen again, because I am limiting myself to the subject of woodworking.

Regards
John
 

gus3049

Established Member
Joined
30 Nov 2010
Messages
1,857
Reaction score
0
Location
Charente, France
Benchwayze":3hl8pjdn said:
a) It draws attention to them. (Something which they love.)
b) In their eyes no response from the target means they have won, because the target has slunk away, 'tail between legs.' Ergo, it demonstrates to the rest of a forum, that they are right all along. Their behavior is a classic symptom of cyber-bullying, and it isn't confined to teen chat-rooms. I can stand up for myself, - believe me - when there is a physical challenge in front of me. Standing up to cyber-bullies though is difficult, because responses don't always come across in the manner intended, and ultimately matters are worsened.

So my advice to anyone who feels intimidated by any other member is to physically ignore them. Not necessarily by placing them on the 'ignore list', because doing so doesn't remove them from the scene. They are still there, rejoicing in the fact that they hounded someone out. Also, as it says in the guidelines, placing someone on ignore, doesn't stop them posting PM's to you, So again, what is the point? (There's a 'talk-to-the-hand' symbol one can use, which should be all that's required.
Indeed, the ignore list also doesn't hide their posts if they are quoted by someone else so its a bit of a waste of time although I have a couple of people on mine. The temptation to join in is overwhelming at times but John is right and we should just be strong and ignore them if we can, we do after all have the right to ignore pointless and self justifying PMs too. If they think they've scored points so be it.

The hand beckons. =;
 

woodbloke

Established Member
Joined
13 Apr 2006
Messages
11,770
Reaction score
0
Location
Salisbury, UK
gus3049":icy0kzs8 said:
Indeed, the ignore list also doesn't hide their posts if they are quoted by someone else so its a bit of a waste of time although I have a couple of people on mine. The temptation to join in is overwhelming at times but John is right and we should just be strong and ignore them if we can, we do after all have the right to ignore pointless and self justifying PMs too. If they think they've scored points so be it.

The hand beckons. =;
Sometimes though, the thread (together with the contentious information) is aimed directly at the individual (it's happened to me) and it's almost impossible not to respond but I agree, it fans the flames, which is exactly what the protagonist is after. Putting such individuals on the ignore list simply doesn't work...what might be better is to use the 'Report a Post' every time something abusive happens and hopefully, if it happened enough times, then the UKW 'powers that be' might do something about it - Rob
 

9fingers

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2005
Messages
5,000
Reaction score
1
Location
Romsey, Hampshire
There are one or two places where behaviour seems to be better. A little searching might turn up such a safe haven where there is rarely the need to for any active moderation.

Bob
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top