What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
filled in some knots with 2 part epoxy for the first time today, maybe next time I'll try adding a colour, only doing this purely to learn how to do it, so when it's needed on an actual project I will feel more confident.

More insulating and boarding. Getting fed up of moving heavy stuff around my workshop and boarding rafters on your own with OSB is bloody hard work.

Watched a 12"x5" blank of beautiful spalted beech fly off my lathe at 1500rpm, an eye opening sight.
Guess that tenon wasn't as solid as I thought.

MarkDennehy":2jyi5qhf said:
Tried a cheapo approach to shavings&dust collection. Didn't work.

IMG_9629a.jpg

Apologies if you've already tried it, but run some self-adhesive draft tape around the lip of the bucket to form a seal between that and the wood, it works for me with pretty much the same setup.

Today in my workshop I customised my little senco compressor to fit in a systainer case. Put simply I cut the roll cage in half , then cut another 16 mm off it. Put a couple of smaller tubes inside to act as splines and riveted the get back together. It now fits perfectly in the box so it safe and sound while being transported.

a605cd5032f3b83050e3e5917ac6324d.jpg
e6fe8b5f6cc4f4d33f504a0c0ad274f0.jpg
f721a687799db1ae91b387a5a0f460fa.jpg
381f6e4d67f98970875074642723b1a3.jpg

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Finally got one of those Keter garden storage boxes and moved the lawnmower and garden tools out of the shed.
From this:
IMG_9759a.jpg

to this:
2016-10-30-12.42.54a.jpg

Seriously worth it. Even if I have gone and lost the last six inches to the wall again with wood storage since:

2016-10-30-21.17.19a.jpg

(The bench grinder, dremel and air compressor are getting moved to wall storage on the far side of the shed shortly)

This weekend i got myself a router table and a new router...and spent Saturday putting it together.

I didn't have time to put any wood through it and Sunday was spent having lunch with friends...this weekend i'll give it a blast.

IMG_9783a.jpg

If these are the best saw files being made today, then either I'm doing something horribly wrong or we'd best get used to disposable hardpoints.

Mostly metalworking as of late in my workshop. Building a TIG foot pedal controller, currently working on the electronics.
30527621876_93f624ef08_b.jpg

The first dry run. It's amazing what a euphoric effect this had on me.

Up until now it has just been a collection of laminated pieces of wood, but finishing the recesses in the aprons and putting it together really makes the end of the tunnel seem very close :D

Attachments

• bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 295
MrTeroo":17cgjxck said:

Up until now it has just been a collection of laminated pieces of wood, but finishing the recesses in the aprons and putting it together really makes the end of the tunnel seem very close :D

amazing work my friend! =D>

I'm still working on my bench, yours looks great

Thank you tyreman

I don't know about you but I have had ups and downs along the way. Learning as I go.

There are lots of things I would do better next time. Not buying the wood from B&Q / Wickes would be top of the list....

MrTeroo":1colwyj9 said:

Looking great =D>

Well today I have spent the entire time clearing, sorting, cleaning, decluttering and generally giving my workshop some tlc.
I finally got around to machining up some lovely cedar that I've had lurking on top of the timber rack for far too long!!
Overall a tiring but extremely satisfying day.
Bring on the next project, I'm ready for you...

More boarding and insulating. Nearly there now and should be done tomorrow or Monday depending on how i feel in the morning. All this up and down a stepladder lark has left me with a very sore knee. Then it's the task of putting everything back where it belongs and that old dilemma of " do i really need this bit of wood/old tool/defunct powertool,etc" that i have been storing for years without actually finding a use for? I need to get ruthless and have a good clear out. Do i change the layout, do i keep it as it was? Decisions decisions.

made a start on my router table
actually managed to get my head together and cut out the plate and get mitre \ t track square
hopefully get the formica top fitted tomorrow weather permitting

Steve

This weekend i finished off the fronts of a mitre saw stand I've been making.

I also attempted to make some handles too and almost took my finger off on the router table...I've decided to buy some instead.

Also, I watched a bunch of router table safety videos :-/

Finished the bench. Now time to restore the beast of a vice I picked up for £10 on eBay during the summer. (Record 53)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 107
Managed to get my lathe reassembled and my tools sorted and mounted on the wall tomorrow the electrics are being connected to the new consumer unit fingers crossed I haven't made any mistakes on my wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back