What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a Parkinson's Patd Perfect Vice on gumtree for £20 a few weeks ago, I think its number 16.

Lovingly 'restored' it with a wire brush and put it back to work.

nyCGbsP.jpg

TTjb0PL.jpg

DaWoodster":5c478y3l said:
Picked up a Parkinson's Patd Perfect Vice on gumtree for £20 a few weeks ago, I think its number 16.

Lovingly 'restored' it with a wire brush and put it back to work.

That's really nice. Looks more like "conservation" than "restoration" but there's nothing wrong with that.

Jim

In the outside workshop again, laying this

377b59fae564744cc2f7a7f8f7b2f432.jpg

Oh my God that was hard work. Those slabs weigh a ton, which makes levelling them a complete ball ache. I've literally destroyed my rubber mallet... And they're not even that level!

Pointing tomorrow, then time to finally erect the Tiger shed!

DaWoodster":1e1zckud said:

That's such a cool looking vice. Likey, likey.

MattRoberts":a2nidyme said:
In the outside workshop again, laying this

377b59fae564744cc2f7a7f8f7b2f432.jpg

Oh my God that was hard work. Those slabs weigh a ton, which makes levelling them a complete ball ache. I've literally destroyed my rubber mallet... And they're not even that level!

Pointing tomorrow, then time to finally erect the Tiger shed!

No wonder. You need at least a 10 pound rubber maul for those slabs.

I spent the afternoon bubble wrapping a large order. Not much fun but not too taxing either and should see some much needed funds in my account shortly.

Pretty productive day today. Did the pointing in my slabs then slapped this up.

40f2063dad596d29aad6ff92b3835a95.jpg

Praise the Lord for brad nailers, that's all I can say...

Not strictly inside or today (because it's been one coat a day for the last three days), but from this (a few weeks ago, but I forgot to take a better "before" photo):

2016-08-12-16.36.45a.jpg

to this:

IMG_9468a.jpg

Also got some boards to the finish stage for a cheese press that is getting knocked up out of some offcuts of 2x3 for an unfussy friend:

shellac1.jpg

shellac2.jpg

They're going to have to be *really* unfussy now. But hell, I never said I could carve, I just told them I'd take a stab at it and for a total of four hours work it's not really horrible... if you're blind...

I moved my bandsaw and dimension saw from my old shed into my new workshop and what a palaver it was! I'm well and truly knackered but chuffed to bits that they are in place.

Nothing like a peaceful Sunday afternoon with a screaming router...in this case routing out drop-in housings for three 3x8" diamond stones in an off-cut piece of plywood that was in the bargain bucket at my timber merchant for £3.

Housings were marked out, waste marked clearly (important) and the jig routes out anything that is visible in the space in the middle.
File 10-10-2016, 10 37 25-min.jpeg

Attachments

• File 10-10-2016, 10 37 25-min.jpeg
    File 10-10-2016, 10 37 25-min.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 224
Finished the cheese press I was working on.

IMG_9506a.jpg

IMG_9510a.jpg

It's not exactly fine furniture, but to be fair, it was two offcuts of 2x4 and a length of threaded rod last Thursday.

IMG_9372a.jpg

I think it's okay for a cack-handed amateur.

And then I cleaned down and set up to hand-plane to thickness for the twenty ash slats I have waiting for the cot.

IMG_9465a.jpg

This could be fun...

Been finishing off and bubble-wrapping completed orders, which are being picked up in 1hr, so just made the deadline. Now having a leisurely lunch before starting the process all over again this afternoon, or tomorrow, or the next day, whenever.

Could do with one of those draws myself Matt. Nice and neat. All my router bits are in a large coffee tin, which isn't ideal.

Thanks. The holder is just a bit of 2x4 with holes drilled in - at its most basic that's probably going to be a quick and easy improvement :)

I'm hoping that when my customer comes this afternoon, there are not too many fresh orders as i am keen to get on with finishing my shop properly. Will be insulating and boarding and building myself nice little draws like that one and proper storage for everything so it is to hand.

Oh! and a router table would be handy to put the draw in. Using a crappy Wolfcraft one at the moment and it's rubbish.

SteveF":e4vixc9i said:
nice drawer

what did you cut the insert plate slots with?

Steve
Thank you. I cut them with the mitre saw. I put a backer in place to centre it and then adjusted the depth of cut to go 3/4 of the way through, then plunged.

By the way - it's actually a hideous drawer as far as design goes, but it's very functional! :D

As part of my self imposed training this week earlier on I practised sharpening then with the "sharpened" planes yesterday evening and this evening I prepared a piece of oak. It was part of a 5" x 1 1/4" x 32" sawn offcut. I now have a piece that is 32" and precisely 1" x 3/4" PAR. Straight and square and feeling "nice" to touch. No sanding just straightening using the long side a large square and my old Salmens jack plane then squaring using a ermm small square and my rescued/refurbished Stanley No4 smoother see:https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/stanley-bailey-no-4-to-far-gone-t99168.html :)

This is the first thing I have done with hard wood for a very long time and I'm pleased with my piece of oak but a picture would be a bit over the top.

Next exercise: repeat this amazing feat just to see if I can produce two identical pieces.

Fitzroy":3esbo252 said:
Then I'm sure a picture would be in order!

Well, maybe with 4. Four suggests you could make something :) not sure what yet

Attachments

• 4 oaks.JPG
    4 oaks.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Shavings.JPG
    Shavings.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 64
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back