What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Opened parcel with my new Draper 52001 disc/belt sander arranged all the bit,fitted them switched on ! NOTHING!.
Took all the bits off packed it back,now awaiting pickup and replacement. Next time switch on first. Not an happy poacher. :evil:

Tried a cheapo approach to shavings&dust collection. Didn't work.

IMG_9629a.jpg

Did some steambending of a test offcut of walnut.

IMG_9651a.jpg

IMG_9661a.jpg

IMG_9664a.jpg

Lots of mistakes led to partial failure:

IMG_9673a.jpg

But this is why we do tests, right?
Besides. Not a complete failure...

Aye, I know, but ordering one off amazon would lead to me not being able to look the postman in the eye for a while, and they're surprisingly hard to locate in bricks-and-mortar shops over here for some reason. Not to worry, I'll get one eventually and the bin won't go to waste. Or rather, it will, because I'll use it for garden waste.

Made an end table out of Yew, or a stool if you are brave enough.
It is surprisingly stable considering the legs are 30 degrees off vertical!
It still needs sanding and a decision on what finish to use.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0028_2.jpg

Cut a big shelf in half to make two small ones for the good woman's wardrobes
Reinstalled my vice on my workbench following a little upgrade. Lacquered the apron on the front of the bench.
Added some bases to my pillar drill and morticer so they glide about a bit better on the bench top and can be clamped down better when in use.
Replaced a light fitting.
Swept up and tidied up.

DaWoodster":1hsmtqfq said:

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0028_2.jpg
Great design! Nice work :)

That Yew is beautiful and the table looks as if it is about to take flight. It's quirky and i like quirky.

DaWoodster":bogj3k4j said:

Are the legs just glued on half-lap type joint?

F.

Today i went into my workshop to gauge the task of moving everything starting tomorrow, so i can insulate and board it all out, which i am not looking forward to. Just been on the phone to my merchants to order all the stuff and am now over £600 poorer. It'll all be worth it in the end i keep telling myself.

Fitzroy":oybrkcal said:
DaWoodster":oybrkcal said:

F.

They were just half laps, but I added splines last night.
Just finished it, shellac then wax.

rPVvjVO.jpg

Lots of rough-cutting after a trip to the timber yard, because I had a minor storage problem...

IMG_9734a.jpg

Getting on with my workshop re-fit for the second time this year. The first was a hurried temporary affair to get my new venture off the ground and meet orders at the busiest time. Now it's slackened off, i can take my time and do it right. Got one side of the workshop clear including the roof, where i found stuff i'd forgotten about. The dust was evil and always seems to be worse when it's old dust. Clunking about in the rafters with an airshield mask on was a nightmare, so i resorted to a face mask and sweated my nadgers off.

Got half the shop floor insulated and boarded and found an unused tub of Magnolia emulsion, which had gone off a bit and was a bit whiffy but got 6 of my 20 OSB boards 2 coated ready to fit in the roof tomorrow. Was going to use white but a 10L tub of paint going spare appealed to the miser in me, so on it went.

I have been taking pictures this time and will do a thread at some point.

DaWoodster":2qqeg0ix said:
Fitzroy":2qqeg0ix said:
DaWoodster":2qqeg0ix said:

F.

They were just half laps, but I added splines last night.
Just finished it, shellac then wax.

rPVvjVO.jpg

Sorry Woodster, but the joinery is pretty terrible!

Without long grain to long grain glue surfaces you need a lot of help from dowels or dominos if your table is to survive many contacts with a vacuum cleaner. A spline, especially a spline that doesn't follow the line of the grain down the leg or cuts across the grain of the top, just isn't going to cut it.

Brutally honest there Custard, but that's how we all learn I guess. So ideally the splines would have run down the legs at the same angle?

Fitzroy":17nht3qw said:
Brutally honest there Custard, but that's how we all learn I guess. So ideally the splines would have run down the legs at the same angle?
But even then two of the splines would run across the grain in the table top, so not completely sure how splines would work here.

Terry.

The joinery isn't sound, I did realise this when designing it.
It was only made as a one off for my own use, when it does fall apart, I can just epoxy it back together :)

It would be a dull old world if every piece of furniture had to be built like a tank. But there is a dividing line between fragile and foolish. I sometimes make furniture that I recognise is on the "fragile" side,

Harvard-Side-Table.jpg

Hall-Table-small.jpg

With items like this I tell clients that they're probably not suited to households with small boys or big dogs.

If Woodster's table had two or three dowels in each joint instead of splines (they could have been blind and invisible, or "through" dowels in a contrasting timber) then it would have been a fragile but viable piece, as it stands it's just not.

Don't take it to heart Woodster, I've made plenty of cock-ups too. The lesson is to get your joinery fully thought through before cutting any wood.

Attachments

• Harvard-Side-Table.jpg
    Harvard-Side-Table.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 289
  • Hall-Table-small.jpg
    Hall-Table-small.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 289
That's a better idea for when it fall apart, through dowels to pin it back together, with epoxy :)
All criticism is welcome, how else do we learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back