What actually happened to Elu?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would I be right to guess your blue model is a MOF177E type 3 or 4 ?

I purchased that 177e (Made in Switzerland) on the bench brand new in 1990. At the time I purchased this, the other choice was a Festo (or was it Festool by then?) 2000. I preferred to smoothness and control of the Elu. Looking back, the area that was not up to snuff on the Elu was dust control (completely absent). I later rectified that by adding the DW625 kit.

The router table 177e says Made in Italy, and that was purchased used via eBay (UK) about 3 years ago. The markings are the same.

In my opinion, there are incredible bargains to be found on eBay (UK) in used 177e routers (there - I have effectively pushed up the prices of these machines 2x!). For instance, some may scoff at 2 1/4 h.p. for a router table, but this Elu seems to have power to spare. Run out is negligible. Throw in a few modern add-ons, and you have a inexpensive quality machine.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Another Elu router fan here. One Mof96 (sold the other a few years ago), couple of MOF177e and a (slightly strange) Mof97, plus small Elu table for the 96. All bought secondhand, all work still working brilliantly, though they've not had so many outings recently for unrelated reasons.
One of the 177s lives permanently in an adapted Ryobi cast iron table. It's the same as one that is (was?) marketed by Record, but doesn't have the gas struts, so is getting to be a pig to lift for an old codger. Does anyone know the specification of the struts and, ideally, whether the same model is fitted to any older cars which local breakers might have?

At that time B&D I think still had an Industrial range of powertools that were very well built (back in the 80's), plain dark grey plastics, good bearings, etc. Easy to repair. Far better than the DIY and trade ranges. Sadly also long gone ...

B&D Professional. Black and grey. I had a quarter sheet sander, a brilliant bit of kit. Someone relieved me of it.

still run a B+D industrial jig saw.....it does the stuff I dont want to use my Festool for......
stupid switch tho......no idea on how long I've abused it....hahaha.....

My first job was working in a Black and Decker service centre on a Saturday. The only time we ever saw an Elu tool was when we were unboxing brand new tools. They used to get put out in the B&D store below as reconditioned so that B&D could undercut the other tool shops they were supplying. Still got the Elu angle grinder I bought 35 years ago and it hasn't missed a beat.

Look at the power switches - all the original Swiss made stuff had orange coloured power switches and two tone (dark + light) grey bodywork.
That confirms my old ELU router that is ok apart from the broken alloy locking lever is an original, it just sits in my shed and maybe will become collectable! I can say that the worst tools I have used have been Black and wrecker.

That confirms my old ELU router that is ok apart from the broken alloy locking lever is an original, it just sits in my shed and maybe will become collectable! I can say that the worst tools I have used have been Black and wrecker.

The old Black and Decker Pro range was superb. The budget Black and Decker stuff is junk.

There have been variants of the MOF routers made over the years.
The very first MOF96's (fixed or variable speed) needed a pair of spanners for the collet (type 1) then they were updated to add a pushbutton spindle lock (type 2), I think one variant was associated with component obsolescence (identical construction, just a functionally identical part changed) and I think the blue plastics came in with type 3 or type 4.
Something similar goes for the 177e though I think that had a pushbutton spindle lock from the off
Exploded diagrams and parts lists can be found online for all of these variants once you know they exist and sometimes you can spot it from the data plate.
A lot of DeWalt router parts will fit the Elu's if you need a spare. The designs remained essentially unchanged it's just that the quality reduced so you may well find a DeWalt spare to replace your broken locking lever.
I had to fit a DeWalt armature in a MOF96E type 2 that I bought water damaged. It is less well finished, has fewer, thicker laminations and is less well balanced than the Elu original armature. The Franken-router runs fine but even with new SKF bearings isn't as smooth as my type 1 that is 10 years or more older and is on it's third set of bearings.

I had both the 96 and 177e, both bought around 1985, they were my first proper tools. I also have a small circular saw and track by elu. The switch on the 96 started getting very awkward a couple of years ago and the shaft started squealing on the 177 last year. I still have them but next time I go to the dump they're gone. Both have been replaced with Festool.
Back in the 70's I bought a sander in Italy, I think it was branded Star. At the time I was under the impression that too was Black and Decker group.

I have had a MOF96E type 2 for many years and it is still working well - a great machine, never given me a problem !

My first job was working in a Black and Decker service centre on a Saturday. The only time we ever saw an Elu tool was when we were unboxing brand new tools. They used to get put out in the B&D store below as reconditioned so that B&D could undercut the other tool shops they were supplying. Still got the Elu angle grinder I bought 35 years ago and it hasn't missed a beat.
Was that b&d on the Great West Road by chance?

The very first MOF96's (fixed or variable speed) needed a pair of spanners for the collet (type 1) then they were updated to add a pushbutton spindle lock (type 2),
From memory it wasn't a clear cut swap over, my MOF 96e is I'm pretty sure an early Swiss made MK2 but still has the spanner locks/no button lock, I think they were using up the parts as they crossed over. The MOF 177e I had did have the push button lock.

No it was London Road in Liverpool City centre.

Thought it was a good Saturday job at the time. If only I had known it was the start of a tool addiction. Just glad I didn't get a job in a bookmakers.
I bet you are! 😂 What Tool addiction, overhauling my stash of chisels at the mo, includes mine, my dad's, granddad's and a few found on market stalls, counted 22 firmers today, not got to the parers, gouges, carvers or turning one's yet! Decided to make two sets up, one with all at 25° the other 30°. Well I need an excuse to keep them all! 😉😁

Latest posts

Back