what a waste

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
of p&p. Toolstation. See the little pack of blades in the corner? That's it. The other pack of blades was in another box with everything else I ordered.
DSC_0000158.jpg

Yes makes me fume, cardboard is regularly completely recycled so not too bad. It’s all the plastic! We have got ourselves into the position where going back is not going to be easy, and the time is approaching where there will have to be a reckoning, it’s unsustainable as it is now.
On one of my America trips at the mo, it’s really shocking how much packaging isn’t even marked up with the (too small) triangles.
Perhaps if people saw the truckloads of packaging going into factories, the sheer weight and volume of it and how short a time before another truckload was needed.
Rant sorry.

Yes makes me fume, cardboard is regularly completely recycled so not too bad.
There are limits to that, as paper and card are recycled the fibres get shorter and shorter, if you just endlessly recycled the same card it would rapidly degrade and lose all integrity. You need a steady stream of virgin stock going into the mix since there are effective limits to just how many times paper and card can be recycled.

There are limits to that, as paper and card are recycled the fibres get shorter and shorter, if you just endlessly recycled the same card it would rapidly degrade and lose all integrity. You need a steady stream of virgin stock going into the mix since there are effective limits to just how many times paper and card can be recycled.
I didn’t know that, very interesting.

Typical of others, ie; Amazon & CPC. :mad:
Worst thing is if I get stuff from the US they always put it in another box over here, and often 4-5 times the size of the box it was sent in. Often watch parts or watches, packed by the seller in something maybe 4" cube, then repacked by the courier here in something a foot cube. Crazy

Pity the computer didn't say "put it in the other box, it's only half full." :LOL:
Probably didn’t have 2 sets of blades at the same location so you get two deliveries & the computer based the box size on the whole order, the folks who pack them have to do what the computer says or they get in trouble. Plus as the packers are monitored on their packing rate they just do as the computer says rather than waste time questioning box size & again get in trouble.

Here's a question that I've been pondering for a while.

How do paper and card recycling facilities cope with plastic contamination? Cardboard packaging boxes seem to be secured with ever increasing amounts of plastic tape. Amazon being the worst offender, (as usual). Their tape now looks to be paper reinforced with plastic or glass fibre, or maybe just paper looking plastic.

When I'm feeling conscientious and have sufficient time I try to remove as much of the tape as possible, which in itself is no mean feat. Often though I don't bother and feel a pang of guilt about it. How adversely does it affect the recycling process?

A good use for cardboard.
Of course you'll also need a lot of it, and a huge amount of epoxy, and a massive press, but still...

wiggle.png

Alternatively, if you haven't a lot of cardboard, you could make the stool that went with it.
l_vitwigglest.jpg

I don't know what the measurement of it are, though you could work it out using the basis that its probably 430mm high

Last edited:
Worst thing is if I get stuff from the US they always put it in another box over here, and often 4-5 times the size of the box it was sent in. Often watch parts or watches, packed by the seller in something maybe 4" cube, then repacked by the courier here in something a foot cube. Crazy
So that they can charge 'volumetric weight'.

I was somewhat surprised with a delivery this morning. It's a Free Sample - just 2 Spherical bearings made from "iglidur(R) J" nominal size 5 x 13 x 6. The outer box is 340 x 230 x 90. Inside that is another box 150 x 100 x 80. The bearings are then in a 140mm Sq zip-lock bag - - - - I've put a £1 coin on the box to indicate scale

igur Bearings + Box.png
igur Bearings + Pound.png

The second image shows them against the £1 directly.

As a free sample they could easily have been selotaped to a compliment slip and sent by ordinary mail - why ship by UPS ?

Can't fault the fact that it is genuinely a Free Sample, I have never dealt with the company before, just clicked on their [Get Free Sample] button and filled in what I would like plus name & address; two days later they appear. They did decline to send me the 500mm of T8 Trapizoidal lead-screw though.

Probably didn’t have 2 sets of blades at the same location so you get two deliveries & the computer based the box size on the whole order, the folks who pack them have to do what the computer says or they get in trouble. Plus as the packers are monitored on their packing rate they just do as the computer says rather than waste time questioning box size & again get in trouble.
What a society we live in computer says no or you will be exterminated no wonder dementia is on the rise if we are not allowed to free think , evolution thinks we don't need brains . Phil are you allowed to use said blades better check with computer. Dread to think what size cardboard coffin these companies supply 40 container

Here's a question that I've been pondering for a while.

How do paper and card recycling facilities cope with plastic contamination? Cardboard packaging boxes seem to be secured with ever increasing amounts of plastic tape. Amazon being the worst offender, (as usual). Their tape now looks to be paper reinforced with plastic or glass fibre, or maybe just paper looking plastic.

When I'm feeling conscientious and have sufficient time I try to remove as much of the tape as possible, which in itself is no mean feat. Often though I don't bother and feel a pang of guilt about it. How adversely does it affect the recycling process?
I think they reduce it all to a slurry with water, which would make it relatively easy to filter out the rubbish. I use the bigger plain cardboard boxes under mulch for the paths in the veg plot, in which case I get a bit obsessed with removing every last trace of tape...

I think they reduce it all to a slurry with water, which would make it relatively easy to filter out the rubbish. I use the bigger plain cardboard boxes under mulch for the paths in the veg plot, in which case I get a bit obsessed with removing every last trace of tape...

Thank makes sense. Thank you.

I still think it would be easier to use less plastic tape. Mind you I do have a "bee in my bonnet" about the excessive use of plastic everywhere!

Latest posts

Back