VPN's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clogs

just can't decide
Reaction score
I'm using *ex pat vpn* at the mo, next month or so for renewal.......
it's just getting worse and they won't do anything about it........

any recomends please.......remember I'm not in the UK........

Out of curiosity what is the reasoning behind the VPN. Think I saw on another thread you're in Crete - do they restrict access to certain things?

Out of curiosity what is the reasoning behind the VPN. Think I saw on another thread you're in Crete - do they restrict access to certain things?
Television streaming services often have a geographic lock to control access to services for licence and copyright reasons. UK folk living outside the UK often use a vpn to give access to BBC Iplayer etc, same applies to French folk living outside l'hexagone watching french TV.

Hi, I have used ExpressVPN in the past and found it to work well. As stuartgb100 said, the customer service was excellent when I needed it. They do a rolling 1 month contract, which is nice (annually is cheaper of course) if you just want to try it out.

Switched from NordVPN to Surfshark, wish I had'nt, although cheaper, more difficult to set up and gives irritating little freezes, every now and then. Will go back back to Nord when my current SurfShark subscription runs out.

I have experience with a few.

Express VPN is excellent with great speed. But you do pay for what you get.

Bitdefender VPN is my current excellent VPN. It just works.

Nord VPN I used for 6 months in a paid service was horrendous. I can't express how poorly that service was.
If you take no other advice - avoid NORDVPN.

🤓

Can anyone please explain in simple terms what advantage a VPN brings to a uk resident. Ok its hides my IP address but ive got nothing to hide from and my router has a firewall built in. Thanks

Can anyone please explain in simple terms what advantage a VPN brings to a uk resident. Ok its hides my IP address but ive got nothing to hide from and my router has a firewall built in. Thanks
Very simply, it allows a UK resident to watch TV from another country. For example, it allowed my wife’s cousin (from NZ) watch the All Blacks vs Argentina match on Saturday in our house in Northern Ireland.

Never understood anyone paying to watch the TV, I use a Freesat Humax box in the UK and in France when I had a house there.

Ok conscientious objector to all sport and certainly dont want to watch any foreign tv.
Obviously i dont know what searches that i miss out on with a uk ip address but seem to find a varied diet of youtube etc to keep me entertained and educated most evenings when the wifes choice of uk tv is dismal.

Ive seen claims for improved security in terms of people finding my location but google only resolves my ip address to the nearest town. No one has knocked on my door saying they found me online. My address is on company’s house website and has to be publicly available.

I dont feel that a vpn is for me.

Ok conscientious objector to all sport and certainly dont want to watch any foreign tv.
Obviously i dont know what searches that i miss out on with a uk ip address but seem to find a varied diet of youtube etc to keep me entertained and educated most evenings when the wifes choice of uk tv is dismal.

Ive seen claims for improved security in terms of people finding my location but google only resolves my ip address to the nearest town. No one has knocked on my door saying they found me online. My address is on company’s house website and has to be publicly available.

I dont feel that a vpn is for me.
You are correct that you don't need one for what you are doing. It can help protect you if you want to use public wifi but generally speaking it's best not to connect to a random wifi spot to do a bit of banking.

Opera web browser actually has a free vpn built in. You just have to turn it on for each tab you want to secure. Although you can't choose the country with the free version so no good for pretending to be in a certain region.

If you want to hide your IP address from a website there are other free tools called proxy servers like anonymouse.org and hidemyass.com/proxy which basically open the website on their server so the website doesn't see you.

Back