De Walt 1150 planner thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul anstee

Reaction score
Hi
I have a dw 1150 planner thickneser I have just gone to use after 6 months and every time I try to start I’m just getting a buzzing sound and it won’t start anyone have any ideas as to what it could be

Yes welcome to ukw - sounds like motor or rollers are jammed , with plug removed from the outlet - and wearing suitable gloves can you raise the rmotir to the highest setting. Can you move the rollers by hand , can you see any obstruction that could cause a jam . I’m no expert but these are fairly basic checks but of course watch out for the blades . If it’s motor related then wait for further advice from other members who are far more experienced than me.

I would advise your next move is to check the brushes. Fairly cheap and easy to replace. If these are ok you will need more specific advice as it will most likely be a motor issue. This is where my electrical knowledge stops I’m afraid..

I would advise your next move is to check the brushes. Fairly cheap and easy to replace. If these are ok you will need more specific advice as it will most likely be a motor issue. This is where my electrical knowledge stops I’m afraid..
Thanks I will look in to that when I get the chance

If everything is moving as expected by hand then the next likely candidate is the motor capacitor. If you search dw1150 parts there is a diagram with part 45 as the capacitor. It’s a 30 micro farad capacitor, you’ll want a motor run capacitor, about £10 online.

I have the dw1150 and couldn’t think where the capacitor was located. A quick look and found it in the obvious place, the box on top of the motor. It’s easy to access and I’d take a Quick Look to make sure it’s not swollen or deformed.

Edit: just looked at the photo of my capacitor, and the 50v should be 450v, think it’s a miss print.

IMG_4612.jpeg

IMG_4613.jpeg

If everything is moving as expected by hand then the next likely candidate is the motor capacitor. If you search dw1150 parts there is a diagram with part 45 as the capacitor. It’s a 30 micro farad capacitor, you’ll want a motor run capacitor, about £10 online.

I have the dw1150 and couldn’t think where the capacitor was located. A quick look and found it in the obvious place, the box on top of the motor. It’s easy to access and I’d take a Quick Look to make sure it’s not swollen or deformed.

Edit: just looked at the photo of my capacitor, and the 50v should be 450v, think it’s a miss print.

View attachment 178556

View attachment 178557
Thanks for that I did take a look in there and if I remember correctly that did look like it was swollen s I will order one
Thanks again

Back