New Member Intro

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good Morning to All
I am a chartered consultant Engineer of more years than I want to reveal, (thats my day job) My interest in woodwork of all kinds goes back to my teens, and take great pleasure in dreaming up my next project here at the house, which I mostly built, and am still making improvements.

From time to time I need to purchase a new or used piece of woodworking equipment and normaly start by striping it down and carying out a refurb. I have generally four machines that I purchased over the years. De-Walt Radial Arm Saw, Kity Band Saw and a Titan Table Saw, however my latest purchase a Perform CCL Woodturning Lathe is giving me some challenges, it started with the speed control being seized up, which led me to start striping the unit down, unfortunately I can't get the pulley off the main spindle, it will not budge without causing damage (Where can I buy replacements ? ) Is it possible to convert to an electrical speed controller, has anyone tried this.
I am keen to get this lathe operational again, all or any input would be most appreciated

Regards
Robert Taylor

If you reduce the speed of a motor using and electronic controller, you also reduce the power.
At slow speeds where you want a relatively high torque, you will be left with next to none as the motor is only outputting a fraction of it's rated power.
So an electrical solution is not the answer. You need the mechanical variable belt. Search and you should be able to find spare parts for your lathe. If it is as I think, one of those designs with a two part aluminium pulley that varies it's effective diameter, I remember having to literally tear one apart to get it off the shaft. If that's what is needed, that's the way to go. Once you've priced up the spares, try heating it with a gas blowtorch and hammering it again....

Welcome to you and welcome to the world of things that should come apart but refuse to . I don’t know much about machines but when brute force fails and your unable to achieve the hulk level of strength reqd often the. ( (short sharp shock ) method will produce good results .. good luck

Hello and welcome to you, Robert. Another repository of enginerding (per AvE) skills is most useful and helps the forum to grow more expert with each passing day. 😁

Good Morning to All
I am a chartered consultant Engineer of more years than I want to reveal, (thats my day job) My interest in woodwork of all kinds goes back to my teens, and take great pleasure in dreaming up my next project here at the house, which I mostly built, and am still making improvements.

From time to time I need to purchase a new or used piece of woodworking equipment and normaly start by striping it down and carying out a refurb. I have generally four machines that I purchased over the years. De-Walt Radial Arm Saw, Kity Band Saw and a Titan Table Saw, however my latest purchase a Perform CCL Woodturning Lathe is giving me some challenges, it started with the speed control being seized up, which led me to start striping the unit down, unfortunately I can't get the pulley off the main spindle, it will not budge without causing damage (Where can I buy replacements ? ) Is it possible to convert to an electrical speed controller, has anyone tried this.
I am keen to get this lathe operational again, all or any input would be most appreciated

Regards
Robert Taylor
Stop Looking everyone, one phone call to Paul at Axminster tools and found they are still stoking some Perform CCL spares including the belt pulley parts at a reasonable price

Back