Glazing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have just put the glass in a small window using Everbuild Butyl Glazing Compound. Has anyone any experience of using this stuff? I'm glad I didn't start with the larger window about (5' x 3') as the stuff just doesn't squeeze out - and I used 10mm toughened glass so I could put some weight behind it. The stuff is near impossible to tool, which makes it worse. It is well in date, but very stiff. The window I've done takes no weather at all, so it's not critical, but the other one is west facing so takes a lot. I really need a far better seal, so if anyone has a suggestion what to use I'm all ears. It's 10mm toughened glass in a wooden frame.

I used a lot of Butyl Putty/Glazing Compound when I re-glazed the metal windows on a previous house. It ranged in consistency from a wet dough like slop, which I dried out by rolling across newspaper to draw the liquid out, to stiff and near useless. This was usually due to it being out of date or incorrectly stored. You have the latter and need to return it. Before doing so you could try and give it a good kneeding, like bread dough, as this can soften up the compound.
When you do get it to the correct consistency it is nice to use and dries out to a stiff finish that can be dug out if needed a year or so later without problem. This is particularly useful on rusted metal window frames.

Colin

I used hodgson heritage putty on a DG window and it was fine for squeeze out, tool was pretty messy but likely some operator error there.

I used hodgson heritage putty on a DG window and it was fine for squeeze out, tool was pretty messy but likely some operator error there.
The trick is to use a PALU tooling block and on the last pass wet it with a bit of soapy water.
I use builders wipes to keep the tooling block clean and smooth. Do the corners first by moving the tool out towards the corner from the centre so you go accross both edges of the corner (if you see what I mean) this gives you the correct angle to follow, then do the long bits.

A cox powerflow gun is good for these thick sealants.

Ollie

There has to be a better product to use in 2024 than linseed putty, surely?
I replaced the ancient putty in my concrete garage windows a few years ago with linseed putty and it's still fine. I learned how to do it back in the early 70s when I worked on building sites. So, I guess, at least in my experience, the answer is no.

Back