Vaccination

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent news about the AZ vaccine:

WHO are recommending the AZ 2nd vaccine to be taken at 12 weeks
And they also recommend the vaccine for over 65s

I've just heard it on the radio.

Please do not make this a replay of the last thread. Never the twain shall meet and that is obvious to all and any dog you find wandering in the street.
@Garno started the thread and it's been informative and perhaps even helpful for those getting/had/considering a jab or two so let's keep it that way.
Please, back on topic

Last edited:
Maybe the media don't report as simplistically and it will be misconstrued by many of the population as being non effective of cv19.
Already reports are having to be put out to assure the public the vaccine they have been given are effective against the cv19 strain.
There always seen to be an angle of sensationalism in reporting these days, as if they want to start conflict in what is a very difficult time for everybody.

I would tend to agree with you, as would many relevant Experts...

Some of my friends who work in science communication and behavioural change economics do their absolute nut about the way the media as a whole tends to oversimplify to make everything into nice neat "Facts" or "Black/White Splits"; when "the truth" is a nebulous, squishy, wriggly and inconveniently incomplete thing in the real world...

It does everyone a disservice that rather than take the time to have a serious discussion with the nation about "As best we can know based on the facts at our disposal right now..." increasingly media organisations will pick a line it feels it can support (sometimes based on editorial stance rather than evidence) and run with it, rather than taking the time to explain the detail to readers/viewers.

For me the whole pandemic has brought the issue of with increasingly complex topics being reported by generalist journalists into sharp relief.

I'm now firmly in agreement with my friends who do their nut on the issue, that with how complex the world is getting, difficult topics really need to be reported on by subject matter experts who are also trained in journalism on top of understanding their brief.

That also probably explains why of all the papers, the FT is the one I tend to gravitate towards reading if I'm going to... Their opinion pieces are very clearly demarcated (as well intellectually diverse and not extreme) and the editors manage to do a good job of getting expert reporters for each relevant field, who can talk to the issues in such a way to bridge the gap between what I know, and what I need to to understand the story.

I know about ten or fifteen people who have had the jab and none have had any real problems. Two felt a bit unwell for a day or two, and one felt tired, the rest had no problems, just a slightly sore arm. As I have already posted, myself and my wife just had a slightly sore arm.

Some of my friends who work in science communication and behavioural change economics do their absolute nut about the way the media as a whole tends to oversimplify to make everything into nice neat "Facts" or "Black/White Splits"; when "the truth" is a nebulous, squishy, wriggly and inconveniently incomplete thing in the real world

The media are motivated by getting people's attention. The UK media is also politically tribal.

Complex subjects like the science of pandemics need detail, nuance and technical discussion....none that which is terribly attention grabbing.

For me, one the most misleading aspects is the media will happily put give equal prominence to a scientist on the fringe that has built a hypothesis based on a tiny data set with a bunch of scientists representing the majority view.

scientists / bloggers / attention seekers get far more interest by being controversial than if they agree with the global consensus. Have look on youtube - Covid deniers, lockdown sceptics etc get millions more views than those people who support the majority view.

The fact that science is not black or white, but complex and detailed allows the conspiracists lots of space to build their plausible arguments.

I know about ten or fifteen people who have had the jab and none have had any real problems. Two felt a bit unwell for a day or two, and one felt tired, the rest had no problems, just a slightly sore arm. As I have already posted, myself and my wife just had a slightly sore arm.
Yeah I've got a sore arm....not from the jab, from the wife...apparently I wasn't listening :ROFLMAO:

I had my Pfizer jab at 5pm yesterday, arm slightly sore to the touch but no other reactions, the microchip must be miniscule as I didn't feel it go in. :LOL:

I had my Pfizer jab at 5pm yesterday, arm slightly sore to the touch but no other reactions, the microchip must be miniscule as I didn't feel it go in. :LOL:

Who's your chip from, anyone good?

A nurse friend of mine went for his jab back in December, and joked:

"According to the conspiracy theories after this Bill Gates will be able to control my thoughts, but surely that's a selling point... He's clearly done alright at his own life, so I'm willing to give him a crack at mine!"​

" Who's your chip from, anyone good? "

Real chip from local Super market great with a pea-e

Democracy is all but gone.
The press are a disgrace.
I'm glad Merkel won her case and rightly so.
And I'm off topic.

So against the run here I had the Pfizer jab on Sunday and have suffered most of the side effects for three days.
But I did manage to clear the snow from my car windscreen unlike the chap the police stopped.
Maybe he had a worse reaction than me to the jab, and the Gates microchip takes control of car navigation now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back