Crockpot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niall Y

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just had a crockpot delivered - it's is for some pickle. And, no - I'm not branching out into cooking, or posting in the wrong forum - it's to keep some safety-pickle warm, for use after silver soldering. I did try to be good and "shop at home first" and use the one in the kitchen but it was made perfectly clear that this was unacceptable :giggle: I had also considered going for a low tech solution and using a couple of Pyrex bowls, but again this would have needed the cooperation of "The head chef".

So, for convenience sake, and the harmony of the household , getting a small Crockpot of my own seemed like the best option. I'm now going down to the workshop to test it out. It might also come in handy for keeping my tea warm:unsure:

What is safety pickle?
The one I have is NaHSO4. which I believe is Sodium Bisulphate . Still hazardous, but comes in a powder form that is added to water. Has to be fairly hot to be effective.
Tends to be used by jewellers. I've only got it as I'm trying to make some sterling silver ring ferrules for a whistle I will be making shortly.

Has to be fairly hot to be effective.
It might be quicker when fresh & warm but I get away with just leaving the workpiece in the cold (ambient) soulution for an hour rather than 2 minutes - I'm seldom in a rush (non-commercial).

It might be quicker when fresh & warm but I get away with just leaving the workpiece in the cold (ambient) soulution for an hour rather than 2 minutes - I'm seldom in a rush (non-commercial).
Not sure I could wait that long :LOL:

Back