Temporary outdoor MFT

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick_

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I know when I started out looking into a temporary mft setup I struggled to picture some of the setups described. I don’t have a space for a workshop, so I knew I needed something that could be Put away. I’m posting here, not because I have an amazing setup, but because it might be useful to people that are looking for something similar. Any questions, fire away.

The mft top is made from 2off 991mm x 900mm x 18mm medite MR MDF boards sat on 2off 4x2 pressure treated timber. Board was cnc cut and I’ve added a few extra 20mm holes so I can use dogs through the board into the 4x2” for stability. Also extra holes to line up the track with the sacrificial strip when using track dogs. Existing holes work when I butt the track up against standard dogs. 991mm is the distance from edge to edge of the 4x2s when in the Toughbuilt C700.

I like the benchdogs fence, it works great for cabinet making when switching cutting lengths between long sides and shorter widths the two flags come in very handy. Very nice not to not need a tape measure.

I have a skyvac gutter cleaner, that is similar to a shop vac. The filter is working really well in stopping anything getting to the motor, but needs brushing down from time to time to keep the power high. It has made a huge difference to keeping the dust down.

Things I’m considering
Benchdogs hinge, I wonder if the results will be more consistent? I feel like I need to do a little teak to the setup each time, but it’s not a big deal.

Considering getting shorter lengths of 4x2 for when I’m only using only one board. This way I can leave the existing 4x2 at 2.4mtrs for if I have big board.

I have a 240v Dewalt 2620 1/4” trim router and sometimes wonder if having it mounted in a table would be easier to use for some work. My thinking is to put a plate into the top without the sacrificial strip, or it may be even better to had another smaller board specifically for the router that I could easily slot between the two existing boards when I need it. Before I know it though, I’m looking at a T14k router and the Axminster lift plate. I’ll stick with what I have for the time being.

I will list all components here later on, but I hope this might be useful for anyone looking for a ‘portable setup’ Happy to answer any questions.

Amazing MDF boards from @Chrispy (Thank you!)
Shopvac hose: Quick Click
Sawhorse: Toughbuilt C700
4x2 from my local shop: Atlantic Timber
Fence: Benchdogs

IMG_3235.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh, lots of cheaper options for sure. It was more the pop-up nature of the solution I was sharing not the frugality.

The C700 are good for lots of other things too and fold up easily. You could also save much more money on the benchdogs fence or the makita track saw.

Last edited:
I know when I started out looking into a temporary mft setup I struggled to picture some of the setups described. I don’t have a space for a workshop, so I knew I needed something that could be Put away. I’m posting here, not because I have an amazing setup, but because it might be useful to people that are looking for something similar. Any questions, fire away.

The mft top is made from 2off 991mm x 900mm x 18mm medite MR MDF boards sat on 2off 4x2 pressure treated timber. Board was cnc cut and I’ve added a few extra 20mm holes so I can use dogs through the board into the 4x2” for stability. Also extra holes to line up the track with the sacrificial strip when using track dogs. Existing holes work when I butt the track up against standard dogs. 991mm is the distance from edge to edge of the 4x2s when in the Toughbuilt C700.

I like the benchdogs fence, it works great for cabinet making when switching cutting lengths between long sides and shorter widths the two flags come in very handy. Very nice not to not need a tape measure.

I have a skyvac gutter cleaner, that is similar to a shop vac. The filter is working really well in stopping anything getting to the motor, but needs brushing down from time to time to keep the power high. It has made a huge difference to keeping the dust down.

Things I’m considering
Benchdogs hinge, I wonder if the results will be more consistent? I feel like I need to do a little teak to the setup each time, but it’s not a big deal.

Considering getting shorter lengths of 4x2 for when I’m only using only one board. This way I can leave the existing 4x2 at 2.4mtrs for if I have big board.

I have a 240v Dewalt 2620 1/4” trim router and sometimes wonder if having it mounted in a table would be easier to use for some work. My thinking is to put a plate into the top without the sacrificial strip, or it may be even better to had another smaller board specifically for the router that I could easily slot between the two existing boards when I need it. Before I know it though, I’m looking at a T14k router and the Axminster lift plate. I’ll stick with what I have for the time being.

I will list all components here later on, but I hope this might be useful for anyone looking for a ‘portable setup’ Happy to answer any questions.

Amazing MDF boards from @Chrispy (Thank you!)
Shopvac hose: Quick Click
Sawhorse: Toughbuilt C700
4x2 from my local shop: Atlantic Timber
Fence: Benchdogs

View attachment 176933
Hi Nick, did you buy the top or make it?

Back