MFT hinge system storage or not

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I currently do not have a Benchdogs MFT style hinge system but use a board with some 20mm dogs, the Benchdogs fence and stops along with a Makita track which is always at hand. I am curious as to why anyone who has one of these hinge systems would want to put it in a box for storage because to me it seems like it should always be ready for use and not tucked away. You can also hinge it up out of the way like @petermillard does in some of his videos so just trying to understand the logic behind the Benchdogs storage box they now sell for them.

Roy, I completely agree with you. I received an email advert today from Benchdogs, advertising a systainer for their hinge. I thought, “why would you remove the hinge from the MFT?”.

My MFT build is still in-progress, and it does need a drawer for all the accessories, such as clamps and dogs, since they are not all used at the same time. The same goes for the fence, which I remove when needing the extra space on the bench top.

1678494486169.jpeg

Storage for the fence and rail at the rear.

1678495110359.jpeg

Note that the hinge is shop made.

1678494862875.jpeg

1678494963743.jpeg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Attachments

• 1678494605695.jpeg
    1678494605695.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I'd imagine folk working here, there and everywhere may appreciate something to protect the hinge in transit?

I'd imagine folk working here, there and everywhere may appreciate something to protect the hinge in transit?
Thats the point, I would have thought the hinge is more workshop and that for site work just take the track and saw as you are unlikely to want to lug your workbench with you.

I currently do not have a Benchdogs MFT style hinge system but use a board with some 20mm dogs, the Benchdogs fence and stops along with a Makita track which is always at hand. I am curious as to why anyone who has one of these hinge systems would want to put it in a box for storage because to me it seems like it should always be ready for use and not tucked away. You can also hinge it up out of the way like @petermillard does in some of his videos so just trying to understand the logic behind the Benchdogs storage box they now sell for them.
The Benchdogs quad hinge is a little different to most Roy, as it attaches to the surface of an MFT top, rather than the front t-slot or extrusion. This makes it appealing to anyone doing site work as it will fit the ‘MFT slab’ type of tops.

It’s not the kind of work I do (anymore) but I’d imagine most folks would be happy enough to oik a slab of MDF into the back of the van, they’d be less comfortable throwing the hinge and rail in there too. Hence the Systainer - for the hinge, at least.

HTH. P

Thats the point, I would have thought the hinge is more workshop and that for site work just take the track and saw as you are unlikely to want to lug your workbench with you.
they’d be less comfortable throwing the hinge and rail in there too. Hence the Systainer - for the hinge, at least.

Perhaps I've got it all wrong , I take my MFT to site, that's the reason I bought it, never dismantled it to do so.

What are all those cuts on the legs ?

@Spectric another good use of a Domino machine ;)

Perhaps I've got it all wrong , I take my MFT to site, that's the reason I bought it, never dismantled it to do so.
You’re genuinely only one of two people I know of in Britain who does this.** MFTs are generally too big and awkward for most people to take to site - hence the Tim Wilmott MFTC, Festool MW1000 etc… 🤷‍♂️

**Unless you’re secretly John from EnfieldRefurbs, in which case it’s still just the one…

So they go right through the legs, that is interesting so what clamps are you using with these slots ?
Any standard MFT clamps. The holes go right through. You don’t put the clamp through like you do on the top. Only the flat part of the clamp goes into the hole, they aren’t wide enough to be able to twist the bend through. The slots are cut with the domino cutter set on loose.

Hello,
There is a very simple answer, some of the fittings require fastening from below so you have to lift the table top to access them to fit. It is very annoying to have screwed the worktop to the frame because you soon realise this is a mistake. The storage box for fittings is great but it limits access for below.
Regards

I'm still mystified by the MFT. Setting a track saw needs a tape measure and a pencil. How does the MFT improve on this?

Not being a site guy / gal, I can only guess. The hinged rail does speed certain things up and I'd certainly see some wanting that on site; not necessarily on a full-blown MFT3 but just a holy sheet of whatever.
Having lugged my MFT3 around (and it is a lump) I've always taken the hinge off when doing so as it's asking to get knocked or gouge a door / wall / leg. Were I going from site to site with a van full of toys, I'd certainly consider protecting the more fragile bits like a hinge - and a systainer would do that [for a price] along with clipping on to a systainer stack. So, yeah, I can see why it could appeal to some.

I'm still mystified by the MFT. Setting a track saw needs a tape measure and a pencil. How does the MFT improve on this?
I think it is fast repetition, if you want a number of cuts all the same fast then it delivers but for a one off or batch of different sizes then pencil marks. If I was doing site work then just parallel guides would be easy to move and give square cuts. For me the MFT would be pointless without the microjig slots I have added as it really helps make it multifunctional so we all have our own way of doing.

Back