Vaccination

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now three days since AZ vaccination, only side effect is very slight ache in arm. My wife had her inoculation two days ago and similar side effect.

Nothing like pulling a kicker board off a kitchen cabinet and getting my little finger trapped on the bottom edge of the door. Still got the blackened fingernail.

Hi all

Yes it is great that vaccination is progressing but at the same time our borders are wide open, they are all focused on the south african variant which has already landed but what about other strains that are brewing in places that do not have the ability to categorise them and which could also arrive.

Then the government has decided not to issue vaccine passports, probably on the basis of cost and that they do not want another disasterous fiasco on their hands but will this mean that for those who go abroad on holiday they will need to pay for a doctors letter to certify they have been done.

The bit I found difficult to understand was 'limited' effectiveness against mild to moderate illness, which through the day in different reports became 'minimal' and then 'very minimal' this morning. I guess they didn't know the actual figure, which on R4 this morning was identified as about 10% effective at resisting mild to moderate, but the signs that it'll stop severe illness are still good, but awaiting confirmation.
Thank you for the update, I looked up moderate disease and it is, cough with a little soreness but not pain, temperature, breathless on exercise, tiredness, headache, diarrhoea. Lasts 7-14 days. Not pleasant but nothing to fear for most of us and no hospitalisation.

At present the South African strain is not prevalent in uk and strenuous efforts are being made to contain it. Let us hope it can be contained. In the meantime the AZ vaccine should work well on the strains the vast majority will encounter in the UK. A modification to the AZ vaccine to deal with the SA strain has been designed and could be available in the autumn.

At the moment the Pfizer vaccine looks better than the AZ. However Phiser is about eight times more expensive than AZ and more importantly requires keeping at -70 deg C. If we are to inoculate the 1.6 billion slum dwellers it is vaccines like AZ that will do it as they can be kept at normal refrigerator temperatures. Fail to vaccinate the world and we will have variants coming back to plague us.

Reactions: Ozi
When you look round at other countries I feel proud of the UK people, government and planners who have made this all possible.
Let's hope the country prosperous out of lockdown.
Talking about the vaccine rollout I agree.

Pity we did not do as well as other island nations on containing the disease.
Japan, total population 138m , capital city population 38m , Covid deaths per million of population 50.

UK, total population 66m, capital city population 13m, Covid deaths per million of population 1651.

Talking about the vaccine rollout I agree.

Japan, total population 138m , capital city population 38m , Covid deaths per million of population 50.

UK, total population 66m, capital city population 13m, Covid deaths per million of population 1651.

I get sick of posts like these, you cannot compare countries like for like so easily so stop doing it.

Also this is getting off topic for vaccination.

Last edited:

The press and forums here was filled with accusations against our government for its efforts, lets not forget.
Scathing comments in fact.
However, millions of the population decided not to social distance, said it was just like flu, and even today are refusing to wear protective masks.
The reports that young people were not affected by the virus fueled conspiracy theories.
In fact I would go as far as to say that we are unique when faced with our daily life being disrupted.
We trust no one, and believe nothing. Everyone is wrong and we are right. We argue and fight with each other, rip each other to pieces but let outside forces cross us and we band together, like best mates to fight the foe.
Its something in our genes. Must be?
Different culture and mentality in Japan and maybe not a good comparison to use?
Little wonder it spread like wild fire here.
Maybe the climate had something to do with it?
Even with a quick start where has it got countries?
Look at Germany.
Started off well, took their eye of the ball.
1966 all over again.

Yes the government were slow to react but what sensible business would jump in feet first without taking time to asses the situation before putting together a plan.?
In the longer term it has payed off. So far.

I get sick of posts like these, you cannot compare countries like for like so easily so stop doing it.

Also this is getting off topic for vaccination.
Of course japan is a very different country to uk but it does demonstrate what a densely populated advanced island nation can achieve. Our death rate is extremely high compared to all advanced countries and our urgent need for a vaccine is because of this so it is reasonably on topic.

As for your “so stop doing it” that is bossy and impolite, if I wish to compare UK to other nations I will do so.

Of course japan is a very different country to uk but it does demonstrate what a densely populated advanced island nation can achieve. Our death rate is extremely high compared to all advanced countries and our urgent need for a vaccine is because of this so it is reasonably on topic.

As for your “so stop doing it” that is bossy and impolite, if I wish to compare UK to other nations I will do so.

You can achieve anything if the conditions are suitable for it. The conditions is every country are different so comparisons are all but meaningless.

Bossy and impolite I may be but this is the not the thread for country comparisons, it's for talk about vaccines. If you want to have a pointless conversation comparing countries start your own thread on it.

You can achieve anything if the conditions are suitable for it. The conditions is every country are different so comparisons are all but meaningless.

Bossy and impolite I may be but this is the not the thread for country comparisons, it's for talk about vaccines. If you want to have a pointless conversation comparing countries start your own thread on it.
Time to draw a line under this discussion, no doubt we are boring everyone else, so I will stop responding. I will not tell you what you should do.

Time to draw a line under this discussion

I respectfully disagree. (Best just not to take the bait.) I think it's been very useful for those with concerns about the various vaccines, and has allowed those of us who have actually had the jab to share our experiences.

I had my jab (Oxford/AstraZeneca) on Saturday and apart from a little soreness/stiffness in my arm, and a little tiredness, I have been fine.

As to the latest reports of the AZ vaccine's efficiency - although appears it might not be very effective against a moderate infection of the SA variant, it is still reported as effective against serious infection. I can handle a moderate infection. If the vaccine continues to keep me, and oldies like me, out of hospital it continues to get my thumbs up (for what that's worth).

Last edited:
Well, two days since my wife and I received the Pfizer Vaccination and apart from a slightly sore arm for a day, We have had no other side effects. :)My arm wasn't as sore as when I received the flu jab at the end of last year.

Well, two days since my wife and I received the Pfizer Vaccination and apart from a slightly sore arm for a day, We have had no other side effects. :)My arm wasn't as sore as when I received the flu jab at the end of last year.
I had a sore arm for a week last flu injection which was unusual for me, I'm booked in for the Pfizer jab late tomorrow, they're doing a remarkable job getting the vaccine out.

I think that with regard to the vaccine rollout the only slightly difficult decision the politicians had to make was to commit to spending our money buying a vaccine which they did not know would be used. This enabled the manufacturers to proceed with setting up their processes to enable speedy delivery of the vaccine once it was approved. That was hardly a difficult decision given the state the country was in when the decision was made.

I agree that throughout this pandemic the politicians have had to make “really difficult and conflicted decisions” but this was not one of them.
I was not including the vaccine task group in my statement of difficult decisions but the whole raft of other ones. The various degrees of lockdowns, schools, borders, economy, financial support to business and individuals et al.

The trouble with the mendacious space-chimps in the cabinet is that they all have a degree in the wrong kind of PPE !:p

PS It is (as per usual) the people at the sharp end who are often having to make the difficult and conflicted decisions, because others delayed theirs.
The sharp end are not making ‘difficult and conflicted decisions’, they are doing their normal jobs in difficult and demanding circumstances.

Last edited:
The sharp end are not doing making ‘difficult and conflicted decisions’, they are doing their normal jobs in difficult and demanding circumstances.
Many aren't doing their normal jobs at all, as they've had to retrain to work with covid patients; and I'd have thought decisions like not treating patients with potentially terminal illnesses in order to treat patients in immanent danger on the covid wards is, indeed, rather difficult and conflicting?

For anyone concerned about having got the AZ vaccine given recent news, I think you should be reassured:
- the available evidence still shows very good efficacy in preventing hospitalisation
- there are purposeful discussions ongoing about varying the second dose to a different vaccine. There are pros and cons to doing that, but I'd say the pros are seen as greater at the moment; trials have started
- there's a very short cycle time to create vaccine variants, especially for the Pfizer and BioNTech technology. Given that regular repeat vaccination is very likely to be needed (like 'flu), people will get updated jabs

The macro picture is that the monitoring, updating and delivering processes will all become more slick.
It's great to see the uptake in the groups so far - the wisdom of the elderly.

Hi,

I was one of those who thought the vaccine had been rushed through and might end up like another Thalidomide problem but it's now been tested on over 10 million here in the UK so I was happy to receive my Zeneca jab last Saturday night at 7:35. Driving conditions were appalling; flooded roads saw the Yeti sending up huge sprays as it hit the many deep puddles and it was absolutely bucketing down with rain whilst like driving in a black hole. I can't stand football so with my luck I attended John Smiths Stadium the first time in my life I've ever set foot inside such a stadium so here I am with football possibly saving my life so I'm grateful.

The car park was awash with heavy driven rain and I felt very sorry indeed for the car park attendants out is such atrocious conditions; I had a short "follow the yellow brick road" to enter the building and was greeted by a pleasant guy taking my details then allowed forward; just a couple in front of me both needing jabs; I added gel to my hands and rubbed it in also of course I was wearing a mask. A young lady then took me to the vaccination booth and I was greeted by three lovely ladies; my details were again checked as we shared a laugh it all being very pleasant indeed; I removed my dripping wet heavy Parka and rolled up my left sleeve before sitting down again; at this point I placed a box of Milk Tray chocolates on the table which delighted the ladies; the jab was virtually painless just a prick in the arm; I was then given a small card stating I'd had my first jab and I had already arranged my second jab for 25th April; jab sorted in very little time.

The exit was between the football pitch and stands; I was let out by another cheerful guy on door duty; outside I'd lost directions as to where the car was parked; it was still bucketing down with rain and incredibly dark; I had the parka hood over my head but my trousers and shoes were soaking wet also it was perishingly cold as I finally reached the car. I'm usually a good driver but backing the car out proved difficult due to mirrors and windows awash with rain but in no time at all it was snowing heavily; what a dreadful journey.

I'm mightily impressed by ALL THE FRONT LINE who are doing a remarkable job and I often dislike our government but full credit to our government too for rolling out the vaccine program and having millions receive their jabs in such a short period of time.

Like others have stated the only side effect was a very dull ache in my arm rather like the effect of gently bumping into something; no pain as such I could just feel it and no inconvenience at all.

I've rambled on because in spite of my initial reticence about the jab I'd recommend everyone to accept the jab as quickly as they can then perhaps we can get the country up and running again. There's absolutely nothing scary or to worry about in having the jab.

Kind regards, Colin.

Many aren't doing their normal jobs at all, as they've had to retrain to work with covid patients; and I'd have thought decisions like not treating patients with potentially terminal illnesses in order to treat patients in immanent danger on the covid wards is, indeed, rather difficult and conflicting?
It’s standard work for doctors and nurses - just in difficult and demanding circumstances - what conflicts are you imagining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back