Tool Passaround.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I'd post some pictures before I send this out.
Sorry about the poor quality pics - they were taken in a rush, using flash. Far from ideal....
I used Cocobolo again (sorry Jim).
Tried out a different shape on this one, and the spike is longer than the last.
Overall length is 230mm, the spike is 116mm long, and this one weighs 162 grams.
It's got a nice feel in the hand - I used it quite a lot today.
Any how, enough waffling. Here's the pictures...
00002.jpg

00001.jpg

00003.jpg
00004.jpg

Thanks for looking. And to those taking part in the pass around, I look forward to hearing your feedback.

All the best.
Adam.

Nice one Adam - looks great. Looking forward to receiving it in due course.

Cheers

Karl

Aces and Eights":2stvsaer said:
Just a quick update.
I've been staying away with work, and been ill to boot. Got back on this today, and the spikes are in the oven as I type, being tempered.
Hopefully I'll get some photos tonight and post it to Ed tomorrow.
Thanks for your patience.

Adam.

Thanks for the update Adam, and no problem we have got all the patience you need.

Cheers

Mike

Right then, after illness, work stopovers, searching for a workshop and pricing up 5 different jobs in two weeks, it's finally on its way.

Thank you to all taking part.

Adam.

Ok.....the awl arrived this weekend (thanks Mike)....and just as I guessed...it is a masterpiece of the toolmaker's art!

DSC_0447.JPG

I said earlier that this was a Ferrari...but I now think more towards Masserati....as it is totally unnecessary to have such a long snout...but it HAS to have a long snout...it is frankly lethally long terminating in an equally lethal point...

DSC_0450.JPG

This would be highly sought after by a KGB or Mafia hitman....but it is too beautiful for sordid use....so let's concentrate on what it's for...marking points in wood...

DSC_0451.JPG

Yup...it does that...easily! (It's ok Adam...I didn't bend it...don't think I could it's so hard!) :wink:

DSC_0452.JPG

Every element of the multi-part construction has been thought out...from the choice of wood...

DSC_0448.JPG

...a stunningly grained cocobolo....to the graceful...almost Art Deco curves of the highly polished quality steel.

DSC_0453.JPG

So....do I like it...HELL YES! Do I want one...ABSOLUTELY!

This is an heirloom quality tool....one to pass to your children and their children so that someone...100 years from now will say...."they made them properly in the old days son!"

Superb! Adam...keep making tools...you were born to it! =D> =D>

Douglas...me bad...you are quite right...you are next on the list...will pass to you this week (maybe! :twisted: )

Jim

Wow Jimi, thanks for the kind words. I don't know what more to say. It's praise indeed coming from you.
Your photography is stunning mate - far better than my feeble efforts.
I agree that the spike is too long, but it just looked so cool, I HAD to send it out with that one rather than the shorter one I had planned on sending.
One modification I have made to the last one completed was to put a small flat on the ball - to prevent it rolling off the bench. This will be optional.
I now have several profiles which I can produce, though these are only a rough guide as each one is turned by hand so there will be differences from one to the next.
Spike length is down to customer preference, and if so desired, I can make custom awls.
Turnaround time is usually 3 weeks, but could be slightly longer at the moment as I'm setting up a new workshop.
I do still have to finalise the packaging. Not really a big fan of boxes - I want these to be used rather than added to 'collections'.
Thanks again for the kind words Jimi.

All the best.
Adam.

Sorry for the late reply Adam, but I have got over it now.

I do not think that words can do it justice, you really have to use/hold it to understand what Jim/and I are talking about. If I had not been under the weather and so replied before Jim, I could not have put it better.
It really felt like it was made to measure for my hands, and you have balanced it perfectly. The chosen wood against the metal could not have been better.

The only thing I do not agree with Jim on is:

Jim wrote

but I now think more towards Masserati

No way Jim the mclaren f1 is the ultimate drivers car bar none.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike. Mclaren F1 eh?
I'm more of a 67 Chevy Camaro fan.
Looking forward to hearing more views about the awl as it travels onward.
Thanks.
Adam.

The awl is now safely in my possession (collected from Jim's this afternoon). I've only had a quick look... very impressive indeed, impeccable i would say. The cocobolo is stunning, and the combination of ss (I assume?) and the wood is very attractive. Will examine and play with briefly tomorrow, and aim to pass on Tuesday.
I'll decide on a car later, but if it was a Maserati it would only have one 's' #-o , so it must be something else.

condeesteso":22iqqwtx said:
I'll decide on a car later, but if it was a Maserati it would only have one 's'

And hopefully boomerang brake lights

Had to think about this. It's not 'Italian' at all. Turns out it's French... Bugatti Atlantic Type 57. Here's the proof:
57.jpg

This will give a clue to pricing as the going rate for a Type 57 is about 1.25M euros. Better play carefully with it then.

Report back on handling very soon.

Attachments

• 57.jpg
    57.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 1,105
Now this is strange because I always thought that Bugatti WAS Italian....but then this is from someone who spells Maserati with two s and whose only interaction with a Bugatti of any sort was in the 1973 film Blow-Out....which featured one of these fine motors in a most unique way... :oops:

I should have worked it out then that they were French but as a very impressionable youth...I wasn't exactly concentrating on the pedigree! :mrgreen:

Sorry to sidetrack the thread...but BTW...IMDB spell Bugatti with only one "t"....so even the pros get it wrong! (hammer)...oh and he was Italian anyway! :wink:

Jim

Had a closer look today, and used it (with considerable care).
The choice of materials, overall styling and proportions, and the workmanship are all truly excellent, basically flawless.
It has a nice mass, feels good to hold but still very controllable.
Obviously it does what an awl should do - would alternative points be an option? (I tend to use the square sectioned one mainly, but I don't stop to think why.)
I would love to own one, but it's almost too nice to use.
Personally I would probably choose a shorter shaft as I feel I would have more accurate control that way.
And I could imagine this looking quite sublime in a number of other woods too - from the deep near black of ebony through to a really dense maple - the 2 materials complement each other beautifully.
Now I need to get it to Karl - sorry but where do I find an address please? ACTUALLY - I know why Jim likes to pass to me... Karl just happens to be in Friesland, and this awl is no lightweight. Next time I pass to you Jim :wink:

(And I stick with Type 57 Atlantic, by Bugatti (French), Ettore was born Italy. I mean, is Harrods Egyptian?... O.K. bad example)

Just a quick update to say that it arrived from Douglas this morning. I've not had chance to properly inspect it yet, but initial impressions are =P~

Can the next person on the list PM me their details.

Cheers

Karl

Latest posts

Back