Todays effort.Part 2.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same as Chas - the zebrano one is very nice,but the horse chestnut one is just that little bit nicer :D Looks great,nice light shape,without being too delicate.

Andrew

Thanks Chas/Andrew :D
Glad you like the Horse Chestnut piece as i have still got quite a bit of it to turn,so watch this space :roll:
It's interesting i think to see how each piece varies in colour and pattern,all off the same tree.
Paul.J.

Another Horse Chestnut bowl,again i think with some lovely colouring and markings :D
290mm x 60mm.Finished with sanding sealer and wax.

Yew platter,again with lovely colours and markings :D
Would those black dots be Pippy markings :?:
No splits nor cracks either :D
285mm x 40mm.Finished sanding sealer and wax.

Paul.J.

Paul":1lu95vl5 said:
Would those black dots be Pippy markings :?:

Yep! They are where all the small twigs grow out of the trunk. If you get lots it would end up as a burr.

Like the figuring on the Yew piece Paul, be interesting to see it in 12 months time and compare the colour, some of mine have darkened considerably over time exposed to light.

Another couple of nice pieces,Paul - really like the shape of the horse chestnut,and the pattern of the yew. :D

Andrew

Been busy sorting out my new set up for the lathes sturdier legs.When they arrive.
But finally got round to turning a piece today,just to try the new height out and where my gouges are located,any excuse really :D
Another piece of Horse Chestnut,with a burnt rim,ooooh :shock:
last one for a while i promise.
300mm dia x 80mm high.Finished in sanding sealer and wax.

Hi Paul,

Is that rim burnt with sandpaper pressure ? its a nice touch !

Like the form of that one Paul, hope the planned changes to lathe and tool setup is working out.

Loz wrote
Is that rim burnt with sandpaper pressure ?
Loz.
I just used a piece of rag rolled up tight,had the lathe at a fastish speed and applied pressure.Doesn't take long to get hot.
You van also use a block of wood.

CHJ wrote
hope the planned changes to lathe and tool setup is working out.
Yes Chas.
Much happier with the height now without having to stand on a 3" duckboard.Just hope that the new legs will solve the rocking/wobble problem.

I agree with Duncan, the rim really sets it off.Nice simple shape as well. Works well.

I have just been out cutting beech for the fire and got some nice pieces for turning as well. I'll seal them up and give you a shout when I am due up in the 'black country.' How big can you go on your lathe? If you let me know I'll see if I can get a couple of large pieces off the trunk for you

Pete

Thanks for the comments :D

Bodrighy wrote
I have just been out cutting beech for the fire and got some nice pieces for turning as well. I'll seal them up and give you a shout when I am due up in the 'black country.' How big can you go on your lathe? If you let me know I'll see if I can get a couple of large pieces off the trunk for you
Cheers Pete.
At the moment i can turn 16" over the bed.When i get the bowl extension, the Hegner DVD says upto about 30" which would be interesting to do :shock:

Had a break from my other project and decided to try my newly ground Bowl gouge out,so while i was at it i thought i'd use my newish Sorby multi tipped hollowing tool out,which i bought last year and haven't got round to using it until now.
And here is the result.
Horse Chestnut 290mm dia x 75mm high.Finished with Danish Oil this time which as darkened the wood slightly more and seems to have fetched the grain out more :D
I was going to do a lid for it but LOML says NO.That was enough for me :lol:

Click on piccy.

Well looks like the tools work Paul, thought for a minute that Amy had sucked all the sherbert out of the middle of a sherbert saucer.
I should think the Horse Chestnut was a good choice to get a feel for new tool profiles.

Thanks for the comments :D
Bodrighy wrote
How did you get on with the new tools?
Very well Pete.
I ground the wings back on the Bowl gouge,using the Sorby jig,another tool bought from a member,and hadn't used it until i saw Chas's new grind jig.Which is very similar.
So thought i'd have a go with the jig i'd got.My gouge has now got a long grind,and does seem to work well.Did feel different to start with,but i soon got used to it.
The Multi tip was also good to use when i also got used to it.
I had trouble getting an even surface using my normal Scraper,but i put the scraper tip on the multi tip and it worked a treat :?
CHJ wrote
thought for a minute that Amy had sucked all the sherbert out of the middle of a sherbert saucer.
:lol: :lol: I'd forgot all about those flying saucers Chas.
I had no shape at all in mind when i started,just thought about using the tools :shock:

Managed to get some more time on the lathe today,more than i expected :roll: and came up with this piece.
Another piece of Horse Chestnut.
All was going well till i some how managed to get a dig in and it put the bowl off center and i couldn't get it to line back up so it had to be sanded down from the rough gouge marks.No finishing cut was applied so a lot of sanding :roll:
I think it came out alright in the end.
Sizes-320mm x 90mm.Finished with Danish Oil.

Latest posts

Back