Todays effort.Part 2.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's me cleaning cars, working on the caravan, tending my allotment, and you guy's standing at a lathe having fun. It ain't right! :x

By the way, Nice bowl, Paul.

Neatly done Paul, how did you find the oil finish, any uneven soaking, did it dry off reasonably quickly.

Very nice,lovely shape and colour.Love the black line between heartwood and sapwood :D

Also haven't had chance to do any turning this weekend :( - been doing more woodwork in the pub (and getting paid for it,so couldn't really say no.. 8) )

Andrew

Thanks for all comments everyone :D

CHJ wrote
how did you find the oil finish, any uneven soaking, did it dry off reasonably quickly.
Found the application fine Chas.The oil went on evenly and just took normal amount of time to dry.Applied two quickish coats,let it soak and buffed up the best i could :D

Here is my next natural edge piece :D
Another piece of Yew but finished a lot thinner than my last,getting braver :shock:
Finished with Danish Oil.

Another piece of Yew,this time in the shape of a platter.
I just love the colours,features,and grain patterns this wood throws up :D
Another piece started last week and finished sanding today.
Seem to spend more time sanding than turning with these pieces :( but the end result is worth it,i think.
12" dia 2" deep.Finished with Danish oil.

Before Graham chips in, I'll say it. "Yew've been busy again"

Very distinctive figuring on that piece Paul, makes the effort well worth while.

Yew two don't get any better for keeping! #-o

Very nice pieces Paul! not been on for so long you gave me plenty to look at! LOve the yew and the plumb!

Some really nice pieces there Paul.

You may do this already but if not try giving the wood a good soak in diluted (50%) sealer before sanding. Let it dry thoroughly and then go through the grades. I use the sealer again for the final sanding and , with yew in particular, find that it looks polished with no wax or oil on it. Doing this seems to cut the sanding time in half for me, especially with ieces with crazy grain that goes every whch way.

Hope this helps

Pete

Finally got round to turning the lump of Cherry Dean gave me a couple of years ago.Decided to do a natural edge piece with it,and the bark stayed on :D
First big piece of Cherry i've turned and have to say that it turns nice and will look forward to my next,so if theres any spare Dean :wink:
Sizes are 8" dia x 3-1/2 " deep,finished with sealer and wax.

Very nice,Paul;lovely colour and grain pattern,finish looks excellent :D

I agree that cherry is lovely to work with,I just need to be able to dry it without splitting.. :(

Andrew

Back