Todays effort.Part 2.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well rescued Paul, not the easiest of woods to avoid sanding distortion if you have to do extensive sanding.

Also managed to do this pen.

Glued the parts together the other day while tinkering about.Wasn't to sure at first about it but now it's finished am pleased with it.
Timber is Zebrano,but i haven't a clue about the lighter wood.
Cut it up some time ago into squares but some of it split so i cut it down to pen blank sizes.

Finally managed to get on the lathe today and do some turning.
So thought i would try and attempt my first deepish vase.
Kept it simple although the deeper i got the more difficult it became,only 6" inside :shock:
Piece of Apple that i found lying around outside so it was turned wet,so wait for the splits etc :roll:
It's got some lovely orangey colouring to it.
Size-180mm tall 115mm dia.Finished in sealer and wax.

Glad to see you back on the lathe Paul, and tackling new ground into the bargain.

Do you have a rest that will reach inside and help control the cut, or are you battling the inevitable leverage of an outside rest ?

T.allan wrote
I did a little apple wood This bowl. It split a couple of days later. I did other objects and made them smaller and thinner and they only become disfigured which is'nt so bad
Yes that does seem to be the problem with fruit wood.
I just turned mine wet because it would be easier for me so will expect it to crack and move :D

CHJ wrote
Do you have a rest that will reach inside and help control the cut, or are you battling the inevitable leverage of an outside rest ?Yes i do Chas.I bought the Hegner set up when i bought the lathe but i don't have the suitable tools to use it,or i'm doing something wrong :roll:

When you are clearing the inside do you use a bowl gouge Paul. I find the easiest way is to drill down to the appropriate depth with a bowl gouge then remove the guts by working from the centre out by dragging up the sides, working my way down to the end of the drilled hole (Can't remember the proper terminology :lol: ) I can then clean up the sides with (I think it's) a shear cut. Something as straight as that one I'd use a side scraper I've made. Don't know if this is the right way but it works for me. Deeper it gets, stronger the gouge you need or you get a load of chatter.
Experts please correct if I am doing it wrongly

You might be lucky with the apple, I have found that wood that has dried out of it's sap but is wet from rain doesn't seem to split so much

Pete

Bodrighy":xa8t3gs9 said:
.....Experts please correct if I am doing it wrongly

How can you be wrong, it works; others may do it differently and/or use a fancy tool but the end result is no different to the observer.

Thanks for the explaination Pete :D
This peice was very much trial and error for me to try the tools out that i've got.
I did drill an hole firstly and did try and use my bowl gouges,but i was getting very severe vibration right the way through to the headstock.
So i started using the Sorby Multi tip that i've got and this worked fine but wasn't long enough so i used my RS2000 for the first time.Which is going to take some getting used to :shock:
I feel i now have a better idea of what to expect hollowing out,deepish so hopefully my next attempt should be a bit more interesting.
And i think i've sorted me tool rest out which will also help.
Just have to wait and see what happens :D

Not wanting to wait any longer to give my new bench layout a try i thought i would attempt my first natural edge bowl.
Thought it would be a good tester to see how more solid my bench is.
Glad to say that the bench is a lot more solid.
I was able to put this lump on the lathe and and set a decent speed without everything rattling on the facing wall :roll:
Have to say that i enjoyed turning this piece,and think it came out well :roll:
This is a piece of the Cherry Plum that i acquired recently,and it turned lovely.

Just a pity i went a little too thin :x :oops: :D

Just happy that the lathe feels better to work with now :D

Cool lamp shade Paul, confidence running away with you? :twisted: :roll:

I've seen more than one with a price sticker on extolling the contrasting wood characteristics of the piece.

once :shock:

if I had a £ for every time I could afford a VB36 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul... did it on a mini bowl at the demo the other week :roll:

psst...don't tell anyone :lol: :lol: :p

Paul, I've had a couple of strokes of luck and altered the design of two bowls this week :D
I'll have to pay more attention the next time, this stuff doesn't grow on trees you know :wink:

Back