Todays effort.Part 2.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Paul.

Like the box, and like the finial, and a excellent finish. Sorry to say I don't like the marriage of the two.

IMO that shape of box would have looked great with just a bit of chatter work, or a different coloured wood insert in the lid.

I think tall finials like this one look a lot better on a rounded pedestal box style, where you rely on the figure of the wood with no embellishments to set it off.

Yet as I said earlier, can't knock the work.

Thanks for all the comments,and thanks for the ideas for the next one i do :D
The bottom of this box was to be a tea lighter but i made the hole too big for the glass insert so while it was on the chuck i turned into a box.
Spent more time trying to get a nice jam fit to finish off,must be an easier way of doing it.

Lovely finish Paul!

Although it doesn't conform to the 2/5ths 3/5ths 'rule' it works for me!

Started this piece last week but had to leave it,so finally got round to finishing it today.
Not quite how i intended but everyone seems to like it.
Spalted Sycamore.16" dia 3-1/2" tall.Finished with Danish oil.

Click on piccys

Very nice Paul

I like the details around the rim and the colouring is good too.

john

Same as John said :wink:

There's something about it that makes it very visually appealing - a combination of the flowing curve,rim detail,and the timber itself;it's one of those items with the "want-to-pick-it-up" quality :D

Andrew

Very Nice,

Love the undercut rim, really sets off the flow to the inside,

Lucky to get away with them knots !! - did they cause any problems ?

Loz

Well done Paul. =D> I've tried a couple of these and found that getting the undercut rim really tricky but you've done a good job here. The shape follows through well.

You obviously aren't getting too much vibration on that Hegner if you can turn out things like this

Pete

Thanks for the comments :D

Loz wrote
Lucky to get away with them knots !! - did they cause any problems ?
No Loz.I have turned quite a bit of this now some with knots in and they have all been fine :D

Bodrighy wrote
You obviously aren't getting too much vibration on that Hegner if you can turn out things like this
No Pete.The Hegner is great,can't fault it at all turning bowls,but the vibration starts when turning end grain pieces.Small or large :(

Very nice goblet Paul, seems to got everthing just right IMO.
Shape, colour, balance. Like it =D> =D> =D> =D>

John

Something different there Paul, did you turn it all in one mounting to control the edge thickness or did you reverse it.

did you turn it all in one mounting to control the edge thickness or did you reverse it.

I first mounted the piece onto a face plate.Flattened the face off and started to shape the underside.I used a 6mm dovetail hold.
Sanded and finished the underside,and then took it off the face plate and mounted it in the chuck,not over tightening,and then took the inside out and sanded and finished.
It was left on the lathe for nearly a week before i finished it off and didn't lose it's shape at all. :shock:

Back