Todays effort.Part 2.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought i'd better start another of the Todays efforts,seeing as how i seem to be putting quite a few pieces on here now,plus the fact that i'd forgotten about T.E 1. :roll:,and i'm running out of ideas for titles :!: :!:
So this is that purpley pinky wood that my friend got me some time ago.Put a piccy on here of it and i think the general consensus was that it was Plumb.
This piece was left in log form,and noticed that it had started to split,so i put it on the lathe to see what would happen and this is the result.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/ ... uitgob.jpg

Goblet 5-1/2" tall x 3-3/4" dia.Finished with sanding sealer and woodwax.
Paul.J.

fruitgob.jpg

That is very attractive Paul, I think local timbers from smaller stock which show the striking colour differences are so much more interesting than when using uniform stock from larger sources.

That is one gorgeous piece of wood Paul. Like the goblet to.

Have just got some logs of 'Purple Leaf Plum' and was cutting it yesterday, the heartwood colour is just like yours. The guy gave all the branch wood away for the fire thinking all I would use was the big stuff. #-o What I got was 5 logs approx. 12" dia x 18" long, bit too big for goblets. :lol:

Again nice job on the goblet.

That is one lovely piece of wood and well used Paul. One to hang on to !!!

Now I happen to know where there is an old orchard with some plum trees as well as apple, pear and cherry.....I wonder if........

Pete

This is my first attempt at a plate,if that's what it's called.
Piece of Oak 9" dia x 1" deep.Finished with sanding sealer and woodwax.
Started off as one of those winged things,but i gave up :(

Paul.J.

CHJ wrote
how did you mount it to do first side?
Chas this was a bit of a trial piece.
As i say started off as been one of those winged pieces,but gave up on that idea and turned it into a plate or platter.
I put a tenon on first when trying the winged thing,but when that didn't work started turning it into the plate.
I then put a dovetail fixing on the underside to hold it,which was also my first attempt at holding the piece like that.
Then finished off holding it in me home made button jaws.
Hope that's clear :?
Paul.J.

Got it, just wondered if it was thin enough to start with that you had to resort to hot glue block.

Chas wrote
hot glue block
Not sure what you mean Chas,but the timber started out at 1-1/4" thick.
Still don't fancy trying to hold it with just hot glue.I like to know that the piece is securely held in the chuck,or worm screw.Down to me been brave again i suppose,or not.
Paul.J.

Paul.J":bv0r4nf3 said:
Chas wrote
hot glue block
Not sure what you mean Chas,but the timber started out at 1-1/4" thick.

Hot melt glue is more than adequate to hold a piece Paul, it can save a lot of bother trying to get a good fixing in thin or suspect wood.

see here for method

or see "cake stand"under projects on my site for version without the forum comments.

Thanks Chas.
I have now saved that thread in me favs.
I will give it a go one day,now i'm not getting so many dig ins.
Paul.J.

Hey Paul, you're really getting on well with that spinning wood stuff since the last time I looked on here :D Keep it up mate :wink:
Have you planned anything yet for the wood I exchanged with you ?
will be nice to see what you make of it.
The wood I had from you is still drying so nothing to show yet but I think from the diameter, texture, bark and profile it could be Poplar.

Dean

Dean.Nice to hear from you. :D Thought you'd emigrated :shock:
Dean wrote
Have you planned anything yet for the wood I exchanged with you ?
No not yet Dean,but i will be doing something soon :D
Dean i meths dried some of that wood
here is an example.
What d'ya think.
Paul.J.

:lol: Not emigrated just working long hours on present contract :(

What d'ya think.
Paul.J.[/quote]

Nice piece of work there Paul :shock: ..................... :wink:
I meths dried that first piece that I chopped off but couldn't do anything worthwhile with it, perhaps it could have been partly decayed. The small bowl I made with it was really light weight like Balsa wood, I'll have a go at another piece when I have time now I have seen your work

Here is my first proper bit of turning that seems like for ages. :D
This is the first piece that i have actually been asked to make for someone,other than family.
This is a piece of Sycamore that has got that green fleck to it.
Finished with sanding sealer and Woodwax22.
Sizes are-135mm high.240mm dia.
Click on images.

Paul.J.

Paul that is a VERY GOOD example IMO. I often use colour on Sycamore yet the bowl looks good the way it is. Lovely shape, and the added foot section adds to the whole design.

Very nice,Paul - the whole shape and style is good,but for me,the rim just sets it off nicely :D

Andrew

Back