WDS Moxon vice hardware

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a moxon vice a while back. I clamp it to my bench with a couple of steel bench hold-downs. I made the slots for the threaded bolds about one and a half times as wide as the diameter of the bolts and that seems to allow sufficient movement for the front plate to be tightened unevenly if necessary.
The photos show the vice clamped with G-clamps as well, but I usually don't bother with them these days, the hold-downs are enough.
I used tulip wood for the internal faces (external one is lined with leather for good grip) and Keruing for the outsides. I inlaid brass plates where the clamping wheels press. Unnecessary, I know but it looks cool. It does show the slot size I used to give the threaded bars room to move.

Attachments

• Moxon0.jpg
    Moxon0.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 0
  • Moxon2.jpg
    Moxon2.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 0
GTL planes - had two of the brass type, both with the characteristic adjuster (not quite Norris) but obviously different mould patterns (one signif thinner than the other) and have seen the cast iron version -- all no3 size. Kept one (the heavier) and it's my only no3 and works as well as my Record 4 1/2 and Stanley 4 (both from about 50s) and an early Bedrock 5.

I think GTL got a bad name as they prob bought in from various midlands makers to make up their toolkits so never the same twice? But obviously the plane is not just a straight copy, but a moderately original design (of the Stanley/Bailey).

Last edited:
I've been using my Moxon vice a bit now, and I'm really pleased with it. It hasn't stopped me making the odd very obvious stupid mistake.

IMG_20230530_175427397.jpg

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

However, in spite of that I'm really pleased with it.

After the first couple of uses I realised I need to open out the slots in the front jaw a little more laterally. So a little work with a gouge and rat tailed vice did the trick.

Back