AI chair?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hallelujahal

Established Member
Reaction score
This might generate a bit of discussion?
I’m neither a furniture maker nor an IT person. But given the recent excitement about chatGPT I’d thought I’d have a go at getting AI to give me some ideas for chair design 🤪.
Anyway below is my question I put to the AI machine and its subsequent response. I’m sure if I were cleverer at asking it I could get more and more precise detail. But anyways I found it interesting 🤨 .

My Question

Provide an example of chair that is 2’ 6” tall, it must in proportion and have a good lumbar support. It must be made from wood alone and exact measurements for each piece of timber must given.

ChatGPT

As an AI language model, I cannot provide a physical example of a chair. But I can provide you with the specifications for a wooden chair that is 2'6" tall and has good lumbar support, as per your request.
Here are the exact measurements for the pieces of timber:

- Four legs: Each leg should be 2'2" long, with a width of 2 inches and a depth of 1.5 inches.

- Seat base: The seat base should measure 1'7" in width and 1'8" in depth. It should be made from three planks of wood, each measuring 1'7" in length, 4 inches in width and 1-inch thickness.

- Backrest: The backrest should measure 1'6" in width and 1'4" in height. It should be made from two planks of wood, each measuring 1'6" in length, 4 inches in width and 1-inch thickness. The two planks should be joined together at an angle of 110 degrees to create a curve, providing lumbar support for the user.

- Armrests: The armrests should each measure 1'3" in length, 3 inches in width and 1-inch thickness.
The chair should be assembled securely, ensuring that all joints are strong and stable. The backrest should be attached at an angle that provides comfortable lumbar support for the user. The armrests should be placed at the correct height to provide support for the arms and shoulders. The finished chair should be well-proportioned, sturdy and comfortable.

how they gonna build space ships.....?
seen enough comp generated ideas that don't work for a lifetime.........or is it those in nappies that make the programs......?
U can't beat the university of life........

An amusing specification and I suspect a rather heavy chair.Which probably gives us a few clues about the focus of the AI people responsible for developing the ability to produce the programme.I have a feeling that the same question posed in a year's time might get a more refined answer.

ChatGPT was designed to produce word soup at which it excels. Hopefully the “intelligence” of these systems has been thoroughly debunked for all to see at this point and we can just laugh at the uselessness of the output.

A 2’6” chair with 2’2” legs and 1’4” backrest doesn’t sound like a winner.

There probably is a website that can generate ai drawings from what you asked. You need to go deeper into the rabbit hole and find it.

One thing to remember with chatgpt and all the spinoffs that exist. Don't forget to refine your answer. 'Keep asking new refining questions of the answer given'

Remember, rubbish in = rubbish out.

Happy hunting...

This is more in the realm of the image creating software (DALL.E etc). AI isn't really intelligent - it is clever at doing specific things though.

I tried three different AI programs. No measurements on any. Must bee too difficult

My Question

Provide an example of chair that is 2’ 6” tall, it must in proportion and have a good lumbar support. It must be made from wood alone and exact measurements for each piece of timber must given.

ChatGPT

As an AI language model, I cannot provide a physical example of a chair. But I can provide you with the specifications for a wooden chair that is 2'6" tall and has good lumbar support, as per your request.
Here are the exact measurements for the pieces of timber:

- Four legs: Each leg should be 2'2" long, with a width of 2 inches and a depth of 1.5 inches.

- Seat base: The seat base should measure 1'7" in width and 1'8" in depth. It should be made from three planks of wood, each measuring 1'7" in length, 4 inches in width and 1-inch thickness.

- Backrest: The backrest should measure 1'6" in width and 1'4" in height. It should be made from two planks of wood, each measuring 1'6" in length, 4 inches in width and 1-inch thickness. The two planks should be joined together at an angle of 110 degrees to create a curve, providing lumbar support for the user.

- Armrests: The armrests should each measure 1'3" in length, 3 inches in width and 1-inch thickness.
The chair should be assembled securely, ensuring that all joints are strong and stable. The backrest should be attached at an angle that provides comfortable lumbar support for the user. The armrests should be placed at the correct height to provide support for the arms and shoulders. The finished chair should be well-proportioned, sturdy and comfortable.

Attachments

• 92614772.png
    92614772.png
    727.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 29305690.png
    29305690.png
    670.6 KB · Views: 0
  • wonder_1688794856703.jpg
    wonder_1688794856703.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 0
  • GoArt_1688795018063.jpg
    GoArt_1688795018063.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 0
This is quite an interesting application actually. There are many ‘reasoning tests’ , the most interesting of which might be asking an AI in which order to stack a bunch of physical objects (GPT4 can do it). Asking for a design with cut list could be a good one for the new multimodal models.

Not a defence of AI systems which clearly need some development, but perhaps the challenge is in asking the right questions:
  • it was asked for an example, not a design or drawing
  • it provided dimensions of the finished item (I think) not a cut list, no allowance for joints
  • it did not specify joints to be used
  • the wood was not specified - whitewood would need different dimensions to (say) oak
  • did not specify any level of ornamentation
  • lumber support may just mean the lower back is supported - not a raised backrest
In a conversation with a flesh and blood craftsman I would expect a dialogue not an immediate response - eg:
  • I want a chair
  • what style - modern, traditional etc
  • why lumber support
  • what colour or type of wood - other furniture in room
  • cost/price expectations
  • etc etc

The whole AI thing 8s still in its infancy. I have no doubt that, given time, it will exceed human intelligence by any metric. To believe otherwise, as Stuart Russell said, is to believe that the arrangement of atoms in your head is the achievable optimum, or words to that effect. Let's face it, we ourselves are "trained" using existing data and information. If you can put your finger on what particular facet of human intelligence is not ultimately reproducible, then you're a a better person than I am. A better person than Stuart Russell as well..
Meantime, we all get to laugh at some 9f the silly or naive output from the likes of ChatGPT. Win win!

I saw an interesting interview the other day regards LLM, large language models. They are trained on language (hence the name) not maths or engineering, as a result they provide answers to problem statements that make sense in language, rather than in maths, For example:

Asking a LLM. If I hang 3 towels on a line to dry it takes 3 hours, if I hang 6 towels on the line how long will they take to dry? The LLM will answer by rewording your question and expanding to the answer, ie "If you hang 3 towels on a line to dry and it takes 3 hours, then if you hang 6 towels on the line to dry they will be dry in 6 hours"

My understanding is that the LLM does not intrinsically understand the question it is being asked, it builds an answer based on the pattern and relationship of the words.

Back